HELP! *master water drinkers*

I know, completely + utterly how important it is to drink water....I just can't seem to bring myself to do it, as often as I should. -some days I'll go without drinking a drop of anything, without noticing-

How have you found success, mastering this craft? What have you noticed in your body, when you don't?

Any + ALL thoughts welcome! *thanks*

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Hi there!

I used to not be a huge water drinker at all.

What I ended up doing was keeping a 24 ounce non-disposable cup with me at all times. I use a Tervis brand with a lid and straw (because every beverage is more fun when consumed through a straw). I have one here at the office and one at home. Three of those in a day is nine cups of water.

Initially, I would add those flavor drops (Mio & Dasani) to the water, because it was better than the taste of the water by itself. I know it sounds weird, but some days the water tastes better around here than others. Another thing I would do (and sometimes still do) is add lemon juice to my water. I love any kind of citrus, so this works well for me. I know the flavor drops are the subject of some debate out on the forums, but if it hydrates me, I count it. :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member

What I ended up doing was keeping a 24 ounce non-disposable cup with me at all times. I use a Tervis brand with a lid and straw (because every beverage is more fun when consumed through a straw). I have one here at the office and one at home. Three of those in a day is nine cups of water.

This is pretty much what I do. I drink out of a 16oz cup at home and drink 1 of those before work in the morning when I'm getting ready, and I have a 24oz water bottle that I take to work and the gym. I usually drink 2 of them (sometimes 3 on gym days) and that gives me 8 servings before I get home. I'll drink another 16 oz cup (or 2) in the evening when I'm at home.

I got an infusion pitcher for Christmas last year, so I'll drink fruit water when I'm not too lazy to do it. Plain water gets so boring sometimes. :drinker:

ETA: This is the pitcher I have.
    51tLusF64RL._SY450_.jpg
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    I think it is all about making water easily accessible, as the other posters have said. Just keep it with you at all times. I used to laugh at folks in college and law school that toted water bottles around with them everywhere--I wondered why they were so thirsty all the time, as I rarely drank anything. Now I am one of "those people," and if I miss my water on any given day I am tired and sluggish. It makes a HUGE difference in how I feel. And, bonus, totally cleared my skin up.
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    I carry a filter bottle everywhere. I have a bobble, brita and a Freshsip. I love the Freshsip best. It has a filter on the end of the straw and compared to the other is much cheaper. Hated the brita because couldn't get all water out, bobble is ok but pricey. Freshsip holds 750ml just under 26 oz. I go through at least 3 a day if not more.

I started off with 16.9oz throw away bottles (refilled from brita pitcher at home) and added flavoring. I eventually weaned myself to plain water.

I also retain and bloat if I don't get enough.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    I am working on this too. I am the worst at drinking anything. I am like a camel !
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    OP - You don't drink ANY liquid or you don't drink water? I mostly get my water via tea - I generally only have water in the evenings at home but in the morning and afternoon I drink loads of green tea. It still counts.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    OP - You don't drink ANY liquid or you don't drink water? I mostly get my water via tea - I generally only have water in the evenings at home but in the morning and afternoon I drink loads of green tea. It still counts.

^^ What she said.

I get a lot of my fluid via iced coffee and tea also. I do try to get my water in though. If you can't do 8 cups per day, start with 2 or 4. Many recommend 6 cups or not even that much if you're getting adequately hydrated with other things (as long as it's not something awful sugary like soda or whatever).

Maybe just fill up a big lidded cup or bottle and drink from that. It's what I do, and just one of those gives me 3-4 cups. You have to be mindful of it at first and remind yourself, and eventually it will become a habit. I love water now.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    I've always been a huge water drinker, but I also go through periods where I don't drink as much for whatever reason. Usually related to something silly like losing a water bottle and then just saying eff it for a while until I realize I feel like crap and get a new one.

I drink a gallon of water a day. I buy gallons of purified water as I'm very picky about taste. Even Britta'd water tastes bad to me after the first few pitchers. I do recycle at least = / When I'm at home I may just drink right out of the gallon like the biggest bro that ever bro'd. >.> I do have a nice camelbak water bottle for when I'm out and about.

I have very dry skin, and bad allergies. Drinking a crap ton of water definitely helps substantially with both of these. Sorry to get semi graphic, but I feel like allergy related phlegm is thinner when I'm drinking a lot of water which makes blowing your nose or clearing your throat so much better. When I sleep with allergies I usually end up mouth breathing, and getting a really sore throat. Being properly hydrated helps lubricate my throat longer, and I can tell when I haven't been drinking as much water for a few days.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Mostly tea, including both decaf & herbal/fruit.

I sometimes drink no-added-sugar squash, and I adore hot ribena (blackcurrant squash).

I don't like actual water, and if I have to drink it I don't like it cold or iced. I will drink hot water out of the kettle (useful when no-one has an decaf/herbal tea bags).

Mostly, I have a pint mug on my desk and get through four of those a day at work, plus one in the morning with breakfast. I'm a bit rubbish at the moment about drinking when I get in, so I'm working on that, but it should be another 2 pints or so.

8 cups is a low day for me, these days. I don't count coffee (not that I drink it often) or soups, or fizzy drinks (not that I drink those either) or alcohol-containing drinks. I don't count my protein shakes, but I do count my recovery drink when I remember since it's tap water + sugar + protein.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Oh, yes! Tea! I drink a lot of flower and fruit blends iced, as well. Green, ginger, and Indian chai spice, too, unsweetened. A friend of mine got me a variety pack of flowering tea pods, which I just love.

The first thing I noticed after regularly drinking enough was how amazing my complexion looked.

On must days, I can knock out 3 or 4 of my cups before I get home, then drink 1-3 more if it's lift day. I go through two during my workout.

I am also ridiculously proud of myself for not having had any diet sodas in over 2 months!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    We buy reverse osmosis water because our city water makes me gag. I just keep filling my three cup water bottles over and over. I have learned to guzzle. Sipping makes it hard to get enough down. I have also taught my son to guzzle.

I love the idea of water with fruits of vegetables in it! we stayed at a hotel that had water with cucumbers in it one time and strawberries and melons another! It was wonderful! I used to do the citrus thing too but then I started worrying about the acid messing with the enamel on my teeth.

My mom keeps track with little rocks she moves from one container to another every time she drinks a glass.

Tree, I feel the same about keeping my mucous liquid. I don't seem to have asthma any more but when I did drinking water really helped. Also cold water is really helpful when you have hot flashes.

Juliemouse that is an awesome NSV not having sodas in over 2 months!! Woo too! That addiction can really be hard to break!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Sadly..it has taken me over a year...to drink water plain. I used to do the whole mio thing..then less and less..then gravitated to lemon/limes...now..I prefer water plain..it seems sweet to me without anything in it..
  • Alex12smith
    Alex12smith Posts: 17 Member
    Agree with all of the above.

I carry a water bottle with me everywhere - I know that there are 500mls (or 2 cups) in the bottle, therefore I have to drink 4 bottles a day. I aim for one before morning tea, one before lunch, one before the end of my work day (5pm) and one over the evening before bed. I drink more water in the morning than in the evening so I'm not up peeing all night haha. I usually drink an extra bottle when I work out.

As a special treat I drink sparkling water with lemons or limes in it (this is also what I mix with my vodka, haha!).

Also, I use an app called "Water balance" on andriod - it sends me reminders to drink, and you can input if you have soda, milk etc and it'll count the water content of those towards your daily goal.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    I tend to drink about a litre of plain water gym time. Otherwise I have tea(herbal and with a little milk) and coffee with milk throughout the day.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    water has always been my favourite drink although round here sometimes tastes muddy *yuck*. I am also a tea fiend, although I swap out for decaf later in the day...

We have a cold water machine at work, so I have a glass on my desk and refill that about every 2-3 cups of tea. I usually get through a couple of glasses in the winter, more in the summer. Water bottle when at the gym, that usually gets refilled once so I go through at least one bottle.

water intake should be the sum total of liquid though, so water in fruit and veg also counts. as long as your wee is a pale straw colour then you are sufficiently hydrated.. another trick is to drink a glass of water when you feel hungry - we aren't good at sending 'thirst' signals so often interpret as 'hunger'. bonus = you are drinking more and maybe not eating as much!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    As others have said, I keep water with me all the time, but I also keep a glass with a straw at my desk. It helps me drink it a little faster and makes it seem less daunting than the huge bottle. Plus, if I'm leaving the desk, I HAVE to empty the glass because if I don't, the cats will spill it all over the place. :)

Just work on it a bit at a time. Once it becomes habit, it will become way easier, as with all things.