Secret Eaters

Options
IronSmasher
IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Who else is looking forward to this starting again on Thursday?

Replies

• emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options
    Its back on? great!

I loved it last time BUT I do think that some people on the show change the way they eat for that week so it looks like they eat nothing all the time and that its not their fault they are fat?

xx
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i will NOT be watching, the first series drove me mad.... the level of self denial just amazed me.... people sat there going 'i dont eat much, i dont know why i am so fat' and then troughed 4 takeaways in a week and went binge drinking every weekend!!! i guess it does explain why so many people are overweight when that is 'normal' behaviour.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    i will NOT be watching, the first series drove me mad.... the level of self denial just amazed me.... people sat there going 'i dont eat much, i dont know why i am so fat' and then troughed 4 takeaways in a week and went binge drinking every weekend!!! i guess it does explain why so many people are overweight when that is 'normal' behaviour.

That's the fascination, it took years of adjusting until they get to that point where they think so much food is normal (well, even the term 'normal' is changing, perhaps we should say 'healthy').

Even more interesting to me, is how the presenter bobbles her head about and reprimands their excuses, without making them cry.

The only bit that usually annoys me is the 'scientific' bits in between the main story.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

That's the fascination, it took years of adjusting until they get to that point where they think so much food is normal (well, even the term 'normal' is changing, perhaps we should say 'healthy').

Even more interesting to me, is how the presenter bobbles her head about and reprimands their excuses, without making them cry.

The only bit that usually annoys me is the 'scientific' bits in between the main story.

i see what you mean about how it became their 'normal' but if you're actually interested in being healthy its not that hard to do some research and realise that 4 bags of crisps a day probably isnt a good diet plan.... to me its just another way of overwieght people saying 'its not my fault', thats what bugs me!
  • emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options

i see what you mean about how it became their 'normal' but if you're actually interested in being healthy its not that hard to do some research and realise that 4 bags of crisps a day probably isnt a good diet plan.... to me its just another way of overwieght people saying 'its not my fault', thats what bugs me!

All true but when this annoys me I just remeber that they are the ones that will be overweight for the rest of their lives by blaming everything else apart from them selves
  • IronSmasher
    Options

This highlights yet another issue to me. There is a large proportion of people that after doing a little research on what is healthy, end up thinking that it's all about running 5k a day plus an hour on weights and only eat tofu and goji berries.
    This leads to the whole fad diets, taking on too much too fast and failing, or a number of people seeing it as being too much to even bother trying.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    It's kind of why I like Supersize vs Superskinny. It picks out the bad things about people diets whether their overweight or underweight.

I remember they had a fitness instructor on there who was underweight because she didn't eat ANY fat at all and obviously they were pointing out the dangers of osteoporosis, arthritis and other health concerns.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    It's kind of why I like Supersize vs Superskinny. It picks out the bad things about people diets whether their overweight or underweight.

I remember they had a fitness instructor on there who was underweight because she didn't eat ANY fat at all and obviously they were pointing out the dangers of osteoporosis, arthritis and other health concerns.

Not sure I remember that one. I remember the health food nut one, she was treating Holland and Barrett like it was Tesco.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    He he, I hope she was earning lots of money.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Ah, I've looked it up. It was back in the Gillian McKeith days. Or to giver her her FULL title, Gillian McKeith.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Ah, I've looked it up. It was back in the Gillian McKeith days. Or to giver her her FULL title, Gillian McKeith.

ha!
  • IronSmasher
    Options

ha!

Credit goes to Ben Goldacre for that one.
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I might give it a go, although I think on these "hidden camera" shows they just play up to them sometimes.
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Anyone got this on? 7500 calories on Sunday alone! Mind blown haha
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Yeah. I know some of it will have been justified in their own minds, but saying you have a bowl of cereal, a banana, and a salad during the day, when you're actually smashing 9 packets of crisps and however many chocolate bars. ....
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yeah I didnt even see her eat a single banana at any point!
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    is banana a euphemism :bigsmile:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Yeah I didnt even see her eat a single banana at any point!

Hahahahaha true that.
    It has at least made me remember that I really need to get back to logging my food. I don't eat it until I've logged it.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    is banana a euphemism :bigsmile:

No
  • squankmuffin
    squankmuffin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I remember one woman who said "I only eat salad". Which she kinda did... with a whole jar of mayo on. ick.