strange behavoir

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
My almost 3 year old is under the peads with an outlook of getting a diagnosis for Autism ( she has siblings with ASD) but her latest behaviour is quite odd.

she has always had a thing for laying on the floor for 10 mins or so and normally its after she has had a busy day. She does not want to go to sleep but just zone out but today she has been like that for over 3 hours. She will get up and do something and then lay back down.

First she was lying on our bed - had to check she was not sleeping, but was facing away from the TV so not busy watching that. Then she came down stairs for five minutes and then found her laying on the landing. She will respond after a few attempts but makes it clear she rather be left alone.

I'm not worried about it health wise as she seems very content but it is quite scary that she almost appears comatose until you get her attention and its quite clearly not normal behavoir for a toddler.

Replies

• dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    my 4 year old has some similar things, his is not laying down as much as covering himself with a blanket while sitting or standing... for minutes up to 1/2 an hour... ( after 1/2 hour I take the blanket away for a little while )
    whatever your daughter is doing is somehow like her own "snugglie blanket'
    i'd have to say if it is something that 'concerns' you, talk to her docter and maybe check to see if there isn't some OTHER problem/issue going on that she might not be able to ell you about (ex inner ear infection..making her dizzy enough to want to lay, sore feet maybe from playing or foot problem, )
    My son has his own little routine for after school and it includes a short zone out time too, but Id be concerned if it was for hours at a time.
    Hope this helped :heart:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying.

She has a bit under the weather today so maybe that is what was making it worse.

Have made an appointment with our HV - I know that there is not much they can do as she is in the system already but feeling a bit isolated.

Also talked to the National Autistic helpline yesterday who said that although this behaviour is 'normal' that we should try and limit the amount of time she can zone out for and also keep a diary of when it is happening to see what triggers it.