Wear Red today 3/26/13 to support marriage equality

Options
ronboy1979
ronboy1979 Posts: 83 Member
Wear Red today 3.26.13 to support marriage equality....

It starts today, The supreme court is starting hearing to possible overturn DOMA!!!

:heart:

Replies

• iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    I didnt know about it till I got dressed lol, I did update my profile picture though on FB. I want my husband too damn it. lol
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Today was the hearing on the California Prop 8 case. The DOMA cases are tomorrow. I haven't heard what the dress code is for that!

One quote from the Prop 8 argument, which encapsulates for me why the outcome is hard to predict:
    JUSTICE KENNEDY: I -- I think there's -there's substantial -- that there's substance to the point that sociological information is new. We have five years of information to weigh against 2,000 years of history or more.
    On the other hand, there is an immediate legal injury or legal -- what could be a legal injury, and that's the voice of these children. There are some 40,000 children in California, according to the Red Brief, that live with same-sex parents, and they want their parents to have full recognition and full status. The voice of those children is important in this case, don't you think?

http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio_detail.aspx?argument=12-144

Kennedy is the swing vote and he feels torn between the unknown results of changing an ancient institution and the immediate damage Prop 8 causes to children of same sex couples. Most of the rest of his questions were about arcane legal issues of "standing," which I interpret as meaning he is looking for a way not to decide.

I loved this question from Kagan:
    JUSTICE KAGAN: Mr. Cooper, could I just understand your argument. In reading the briefs, it seems as though your principal argument is that same-sex and opposite -- opposite-sex couples are not similarly situated because opposite-sex couples can procreate, same-sex couples cannot, and the State's principal interest in marriage is in regulating procreation. Is that basically correct?

MR. COOPER: I -- Your Honor, that's the essential thrust of our -- our position, yes.

JUSTICE KAGAN: Is -- is there -- so you have sort of a reason for not including same-sex couples. Is there any reason that you have for excluding them? In other words, you're saying, well, if we allow same-sex couples to marry, it doesn't serve the State's interest. But do you go further and say that it harms any State interest?

The Prop 8 attorney Cooper flailed for a while until Scalia jumped in to argue his case for him!
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I wore my red today.
  • treetop57
    Options
    Me too.

3ab51d18-0d50-4ae5-93f3-dad17e3ba6e4_zps6ce27a39.jpg
  • treetop57
    Options
    Yesterday at this time, all the news sources were saying they have no idea what the Supreme Court will decide about Prop 8.

This morning, all the news sources are saying DOMA is toast, with Kennedy likely to vote against it as a usurpation of the rights of the states to define marriage and Ginsburg, Breyer, Kagan, and Sotomayor likely to vote against it as a violation of equal protection.
  • treetop57
    Options
    The Deputy Solicitor General arguing against DOMA is named Sri Srinivasan.
    Sri (also Sree, Shri, Shree, shre, श्री) polite form of address equivalent to the English "Mr.", possibly etymologically linked to "Sir" by the indo-european roots. The title is derived from Sanskrit श्रीमान् (śrīmān).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri

So arguing for federal recognition of same sex marriage was Mister Mister Mister-nivasan.

Hey soul sister, ain't that a good omen?
  • ronboy1979
    ronboy1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Things are looking good so far for us going forward!!!!
  • vicwjones
    vicwjones Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have a red shirt but I did however wear a red jacket.:smile:
  • mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Me too.

3ab51d18-0d50-4ae5-93f3-dad17e3ba6e4_zps6ce27a39.jpg

Love it! :laugh: :laugh:

I bet that outfit makes for some interesting tan lines.
  • treetop57
    Options
    The Uruguay Senate passed marriage equality legislation Tuesday, a sure sign that it will become the fourth nation in Latin America to establish marriage equality in some sense, as President José Mujica has said he intends to sign the bill into law.

The country currently accords the right to a civil union to same-sex couples.

The bill the Senate passed was approved by the lower house in December, but will have to return to the lower house to approval changes. The legislation would also allow any couple — gay or straight — to decide whose surname goes first when naming children, according to the Associated Press.

According to Freedom to Marry, Uruguay will join 11 other countries with marriage equality (The Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada, South Africa, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Iceland, Argentina, and Denmark), in addition to three others (Brazil, Mexico, and the United States) where marriage is legal or recognized in designated regions.

http://www.advocate.com/politics/marriage-equality/2013/04/02/uruguay-senate-passes-marriage-equality
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I LOVE RED.
    SEXY.