How much Newborn clothes do I need?

Options
rubybeach
rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
I have 4 onesies, 2 sleep sacks and 6 (0-3 month) swaddlers.

I have an outrageous amount of 0-3 and 3 month old clothing.

Should I get a few more newborn clothing items? We have so much clothing, I don't want to buy more.....but noticed our NB clothing is low.

Not sure it matters but my husband and I were good sized babies, I was 8.6 lbs he was almost 10 lbs.

Thanks

Replies

• KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I never buy to many really little things. Then again I have big babies. BUT they also grow out of them so fast! My 4th came a little early and was so small. we just went out and bought her a few tiny things after she came. :) I am sure you are good. I always make sure I have more 3-6 months then newborn.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on your baby's size. You probably have enough. My babies were all 8 1/2 lbs or bigger, and they never really fit into newborn, so it went to waste. 0-3 mos and 3 mos are best.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just what I wanted to hear :) thanks ladies!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be the odd one out and say I will be getting more nb clothes this go round - my daughter was born 7lbs 7oz and came home 6lbs 13oz. At everyone's advice we had a ton of 0-3 but only a handful of nb stuff - and the nb stuff, while it only fit for a few weeks, was all I used at first because she was swimming in the other stuff. Don't pay retail, buy off ebay, kid swaps, get from freecycle, thrift stores, etc - but I am going to have at least a few weeks worth of nb stuff for this little one to wear.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My little guy was 9lbs. He wore a newborn outfit home from the hospital (it barely fit) and went right into 0-3 month clothing.

You'll get more use out of the 0-3 month stuff, who cares if it's a bit loose, and if you have a tiny baby you can always go out and buy some smaller stuff.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My first baby was 8 lbs 10 oz, so barely was in newborn clothes. Decided not to get a whole lot for 2nd baby cause I heard they just get bigger...however, she was 6 lbs 15 oz when she came along. I DEF needed more newborn stuff, but it was easy enough to just run out and get a few items that first week. She was only in em' for a few weeks anyways! I'd say you're good until the baby comes and you have a better idea of what you're workin' with:)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I think you have plenty!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! Due date makes a difference. My daughter was born 1/31 so it was deep snow and frigid out here in Chicagoland. If she had been a summer baby she would have hung out in her diaper in all likelihood.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most have said that NB clothes generally won't be any good for very long. My son was 7lb 3 oz but very long, but to be honest when I first got him home I pretty much left him in hospital shirts and a diaper (wrapped in a blanket) all the time, unless we were leaving the house (he was born in late January, and although it's not that cold here, it's not exactly warm most of the time, either). Once I stopped being lazy and putting him in clothes we'd bought or been given, he pretty much went straight into 0-3 month clothing.

Some babies are too big for NB size to start with. You probably already have more than you need!