5/3/1...what assistance are you doing?

Options
I know some of you have progressed to an intermediate program (5/3/1, Madcow, etc.) So I'm just curious what your lifting sessions look like. I'm moving to 5/3/1 next week, and I'm playing around with different templates and trying to figure out what assistance lifts I want to do.

Mwah!!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    we were doing the triumvirate, like this:

Overhead press - Dips - Chins

Squat - Leg Press - *kitten* off and do nothing because we're lazy and hate leg curls, and nick was embarrassed by glute bridges, and our gym didn't have a GHR or a place to do hip thrusts.

Bench Press - Dumbbell press - 1 arm rows

Deadlift - Good Mornings - theoretical core work that we always f*cked off on.

^^ this was a good way to start out, got us doing a bunch of other stuff and seeing what we felt did and didn't 'work'

But now we've changed things over to the simplest strength template on page 50, so I'm still kind of working on that programming:

It looks like:
    OHP - Close grip bench - dips

Deadlift - Front squat - back extensions for me, good mornings for Nick (only because I just... I hate good mornings so much. SO much. I might force myself to do them some days.)

Bench Press - Incline Press - was going to be 1 arm rows but now I think its lat pulldowns.

Squat - some kind of deadlift - .............I don't know yet
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yoovie started a lifting group, and they have a thread going on programs. Seems like a fair number are doing 5/3/1.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926867-get-with-the-program
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Way in the future when I switch I plan on doing the bodyweight assistance, but more because I really enjoy body weight exercises. I will probably sub glute bridges for something because who doesn't like humping a barbell in a room full of grunty men?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    ....... because I really enjoy body weight exercises............

You. Are. A. Freak. bodyweight exercises are the worst. You can't load them so you have to do just like, SO MANY REPS. THERE ARE SO MANY.

I am not even kidding, I look at something that says 8 reps and I think "EIGHT? What is this, a freaking marathon?"
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You. Are. A. Freak. bodyweight exercises are the worst. You can't load them so you have to do just like, SO MANY REPS. THERE ARE SO MANY.

I am not even kidding, I look at something that says 8 reps and I think "EIGHT? What is this, a freaking marathon?"

You are hysterical. Just FYI.

I'm doing 2x9's this week across the board by the way. Marathon runner that I am. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    ....... because I really enjoy body weight exercises............

I like to think my life is secretly an action movie. In action movies the heroes are always having do to body weight stuff. How can I pull myself up using a perfectly placed overhead pipe and then kick a baddie in the teeth if i can't do pull ups or hanging leg raises? Exactly!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

I like to think my life is secretly an action movie. In action movies the heroes are always having do to body weight stuff. How can I pull myself up using a perfectly placed overhead pipe and then kick a baddie in the teeth if i can't do pull ups or hanging leg raises? Exactly!

I'm always torn between:
    I wanna do bodyweight because I wanna be cool like action movies heroes, and
    This is way to many reps, and I want to do stuff barbell related because progression is easy

For now I have compromised: I'm doing pull ups and chin ups assisted so my progress is linear, I hope one day I'll get to weighted pull ups. And i always do push ups on Sunday in theory, but in practice I do them maybe once a month :laugh:
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Um...trying to think back...I did push ups, pull ups, tricep dips, heavy dumbell rows, bicep curls and the TRX pull ups or the ones where you get under a lowish bar and pull your chest to the bar (varying the angle of your body)
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the tri template with a mix of bodyweight stuff (push ups, pull ups, hanging leg raises) and some weighted stuff (dumbbell rows, lat pull downs.)