What food is your go-to for emotional eating?

Options
EvelynBfly78
EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
I find that I go through cycles with different foods. Mostly it's something that I already have in the cupboard. Lately I've been dreaming of peanut butter & pita chips. Together or separately. When I realize I'm planning this I have to pause & look at why I'm upset, depressed, happy, mad, etc. You know--the excuses we use for eating inappropriately. Food won't solve my problems. But facing them will.

Replies

• brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Definitely any type of sweets, especially homeade sweets. My entire family can bake so that's what the issue normally is. I have been packing a cooler of all my foods lately so I can eat when hungry and not binge on crazy foods. I have had to talk to myself like a crack fiend and tell myself why I don't need it. Most times it'll work just depending on the issue. Then I might give in and hate myself after.

I have been praying about it recently cause I have never seen the scale say anything as high as it was last week.

I pray everything gets better soon and the weight flies off.
  • deeruns
    deeruns Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Popcorn. Keep that stuff away from me. You know the orville big bowls - the ones that come in pop up bowls rather than bags so that you can pass it around and share more easily? My lowest point was eating three of those in a night. It was fabulous.
  • susanjean62
    susanjean62 Posts: 200
    Options
    When I get a craving and eat emotionally,I tend to want sweet or creamy. I try to keep my cupboards free of the sweet stuff,even fat free frozen yogurt. I quit buying peanut butter,as I was eating too much. This time of year is hard,because everywhere you go,there is easter candy. Another one of (stay away from) foods. Candy is a trigger food for me,as I am not one of those people who can usually eat just one. So far,this has been a very good week for me. The more I exercise,make good food choices,and not overeat,makes me even more determined.
  • susanjean62
    Options
    I think that's awesome that you pack a cooler. That shows you are serious about eating right. I used to work in retail,and everyone brought snacks to share(usually cake and cookies). I ate them sometimes,but I was customer service,so for 6-8 hours,I walked the store,so stayed fairly fit. Don't be too hard on yourself about the weight gain. It is disappointing,and it is so easy to give in and give up. Been there. Help it make you more determined to make better food choices and exercise. I am so blown away,the difference exercise has made for me. For some reason,I don't crave sugar as much,and it has lessened my hunger. Sending you big((((hugs))))). We can do this,one day at a time.
  • susanjean62
    Options
    I(accidentally) ate one of those big bowls. It didn't realize how many calories or servings was in it,until I went to calculate. Ugghh. Mini 100 calorie bags for me. Had too many of those nights,mindless eating. Not doing that to myself anymore(if I can help it).
  • Jannie75Y
    Jannie75Y Posts: 12
    Options
    I usually will go to starches or crunchy types of foods. Potato chips (I never have these in the house), nachos, etc. If I'm feeling stressed, sometimes I'll want another heap of a meal even when I don't really need it as I'm already full.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    It varies for me.... mostly it's a sweets craving.
    Sometimes, it's a salty (like potato chips).

I try my best not to keep those items in the house; however, hubby to be likes them.
    SO, it's hard to stay in serving size
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Mine is different depending on what my problem is. Often my emotional eating is texture related. If I'm feeling bad about my boss being mean to me, I want mushy foods like pudding or graham crackers dunked in milk or caked mushed together with ice cream. They have this stuff called gravy bread that is comforting too.