Ftting in excercise and kid time

Options
Artfulmamma
Artfulmamma Posts: 7 Member
I've often felt guilty about setting aside time for a workout because it seems like the kids don't get enough actual one on one time. As my kids have gotten older (5 and 10) I've found that I can try and combine those activities. My son likes to hike, so we have started hiking together. I'm still trying to figure out what my five year old and I can do together that is just as physical. I'm open to suggestions.

I still think my individual workout time is very important, for my mental health as well as physical well being. So I've curbed the guilt of me time by realizing that a happy momma means happy kids too.

Replies

• georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Your workout time becomes Dad's 1:1 time. Still hard to find/take that time for yourself though :-)
  • ladymnlite
    ladymnlite Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Maybe just going to the back yard or park to play ball would get you moving with the 5 year-old. My son is 2 and he runs around non-stop. It's kind of cute actually... when I try to do Zumba with my wii game, he comes in and starts dancing with me.

If you have a wii or an xbox, how about an exercise kind of "game." Any of the dancing type of games are fun (I think there's even a Disney one). You can burn calories and spend time together at the same time.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I often do my work out after kid goes to bed or right after work while homework is being done. Also do walking at the track when she is doing soccer. I don't have a spouse to take over so my time is very structured. I try to find exercise we can do together like swimming, biking or walking.
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I try to find outdoor activities. Sometimes I volunteer to help my youngest kid's team warm up before baseball games by throwing with them. I also take them to the gym with me. American Family has an on-site daycare for the younger ones (2 hour limit) and my 10 year old does the "fit kids" program. They look forward to going because they get to have fun too. We also do the Just Dance for the Wii or I put on some music and we dance around while cleaning up.
  • nichittle
    nichittle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I"m Nicole, new to the group and I think this is a great topic for a group! Here's my question ... While outdoor excercise/recreation can be fun with our children, does anyone have time to fit in good amounts of cardio or weight training? I work full time now for the first time, and have 3 children. I used to enjoy running, and would go daily for 2-3 miles, but with work and all 3 kids in baseball/t-ball, I just haven't found a happy balance for what seems to be important?The most I can seem to get in on a daily basis is by getting up at 5 am to get maybe a 20 min dvd workout in, any suggestions on finding or arranging more time for this ?
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have started having personal training sessions outdoors. My trainer went out on her own so now we meet at the elementary school down the street from me for an hour. The kids and I walk to the school (10 minute walk each way) and while I work out doing a mix of cardio and weights - they play on the playground equipment or generally goof around in the field.

I know not everyone can afford this but sometimes the independent fitness trainers will offer group sessions that can bring the cost way down - like what you'd spend on food to meet a group of moms/dads at a fast food joint with a playground. Get a group of moms/dads in the area with kids, hire a personal trainer for a group exercise once or twice a week at a local park or school and you have playdates for the kids and a workout for you!