Advice for my 2nd Half this weekend

Options
natalie412
natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
A couple things - I never drink on training runs (up to 14 miles) - I probably shouldn't drink during the race, right? I don't want to do anything to give myself side stitches or anything and am thinking water sloshing around could cause that. I guess if my mouth is super dry I can rinse it out. My first half last fall, I had a lot of side stitches and a nervous belly and had to make a few pit stops. Immodium and no drinking during the race should help that, I think.

This half has pacers - I am thinking about going with the 2:10 group - I have done 2:18 in a 13.1 training run where I was pushing the pace a little, and did 10 miles at a 10:00 pace yesterday with a 148 avg HR. I figure that is a good safe start, and if I am feeling really strong halfway through I can pick up the pace. There are some big hills on this race, but it looks like it is what I am used to on all my long runs (700 to 1000 ft of rise).

Now if I could just figure out how to get rid of the pre-race jitters. So stupid - I am just racing for fun!

Replies

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i know that the nerves are weird, but i've learned to enjoy them!
    i have dodgy guts whenever i run distances, and so i start with immodium several days before the race- but that has taken some tuning! i also have the same breakfast every race morning, and the same routines the day before and morning of. i'm all prepared so i know everything is fine and all i have to worry about is finishing.
    i don't know how you can not drink! i don't drink for anything under 10-12ks, but anything over i have to have a bit of something. but if that is what works for you then i guess keep doing it. in future though, you may want to consider training with fluids for the really long runs as they may boost your performance- dehydration is limiting.
    stick with your plans. there is nothing wrong with going with a pace group, as long as you're not going out too fast. i'd personally start with a group that goes a little slower, and if a few kms in you're finding it easy enough then i'd catch up to the next group. and so on until you find your pace. then next time you can go out with that pace group. but that's just what i'd do. if you want to go out at a decent pace and you think you can maintain it for a few hours without crashing, then crack on. you can always slow down! it's just that you're better off feeling great and speeding up because you've got it in you!

good luck with it. hope it's a good run for you.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I usually don't take water for training runs either but I will sometimes take a little during a half depending on the temperature. Best advice I can give is to drink if you are thirsty. Your plan of sticking with the pacers is a good one, just be careful not to start to fast.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    A couple things - I never drink on training runs (up to 14 miles) - I probably shouldn't drink during the race, right? I don't want to do anything to give myself side stitches or anything and am thinking water sloshing around could cause that. I guess if my mouth is super dry I can rinse it out. My first half last fall, I had a lot of side stitches and a nervous belly and had to make a few pit stops. Immodium and no drinking during the race should help that, I think.

This half has pacers - I am thinking about going with the 2:10 group - I have done 2:18 in a 13.1 training run where I was pushing the pace a little, and did 10 miles at a 10:00 pace yesterday with a 148 avg HR. I figure that is a good safe start, and if I am feeling really strong halfway through I can pick up the pace. There are some big hills on this race, but it looks like it is what I am used to on all my long runs (700 to 1000 ft of rise).

Now if I could just figure out how to get rid of the pre-race jitters. So stupid - I am just racing for fun!

I'm an avid reader of the "nuts and bolts" aspect of LD running and, from what I've read, there's no causal connection between drinking water and getting a "stitch". In fact, there's no clear cut reason as to why we actually get a stitch.

The most sound medical advice is to drink to thirst. I've spent some time learning about water consumption (during weight loss as well as while running) and, as much as it sounds "too simple", drinking when you're thirsty is a sound approach.

Have a good race!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Have a great race. If you can run it w/o drinking then go for it. But if you feel thirsty you need to drink. The pace group sounds like a good idea. You might not be so nervous for your second race too. The anticipation can be worse than the actual experience sometimes. Rely on your preparation and just go for it.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You should drink on your longer training runs and IMO it will be a mistake to not drink for the 1/2. I do not think stiches will be an issue but if you get dehydrated it will be ugly (been there).I think you are probably OK with the pace group. Everybody has theory own strategy for pacing. Mine is to keep a pretty steady pace the first 10 miles and then see what I can chip it down to. The first half of a half *should* feel easy and this is what sucks a lot of people in to then go to fast.
  • natalie412
    Options
    Didn't mean to make drinking a huge issue - I stay VERY well hydrated throughout the week and have trained to not need it even on long runs. On cool weather runs, I don't lose much in sweat. When the summer heat comes, I am sure I will have to go back to carrying a little water with me.

As far as pacing goes - I think I will try to stick to 10 min pacing for the first half or so, and then start speeding up if I feel good. There is an almost 300 ft hill between mile 8-9 that are going to be killer so that is going to really slow me down.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Didn't mean to make drinking a huge issue - I stay VERY well hydrated throughout the week and have trained to not need it even on long runs. On cool weather runs, I don't lose much in sweat. When the summer heat comes, I am sure I will have to go back to carrying a little water with me.

As far as pacing goes - I think I will try to stick to 10 min pacing for the first half or so, and then start speeding up if I feel good. There is an almost 300 ft hill between mile 8-9 that are going to be killer so that is going to really slow me down.
    It's rare that I will hydrate on a training run. Over 16 miles and above 76°F or so, then I'll take along water. It's just not necessary from a physiological perspective (psychologically maybe) if you enter the workout properly hydrated, which our body is designed to ensure that we are.

I will drink a little during a race, but not much. I find it hard to get the water down without choking, so why bother.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you haven't trained hydrating, don't start during the race unless you get thirsty. Something you might want to incorporate into your training going forward. Dehydration will slow you down.

As far as pace groups, I would recommend starting with a group pace you have done comfortably, then start speeding up about half way through if you are feeling good. Worst thing you can do is go out strong and fade. I watched a ton of people do that in Vegas last December during a full and they were road kill by mile 18.

Last thing, NO PRESSURE!!!! Start slow, build and enjoy the run. I assume you are out there to have fun. Enjoy the views, the crowds and the feeling of accomplishment. Good luck!
  • cynthiatwayne
    Options
    I'm a huge sweater so drinking fo rme is necessary....I won't always fuel on long runs (actually trained a good part of my full with minimal fuel and liked it) but water to me is an absolute must on anything over 7 miles. I won't carry during a race but will stop at the water stops. I do agree don't do what your not accustomed to, I made that mistake during a half and had HUGE cramps after gulping what I thought was water and turned out to be a sports drink that I'd never trained with.

Side stitches are all about breathing and not about water. You're diaphram is spasming which is what causes the side stitches....take a few very deep controlled breaths, arms up to get the spasms to relax. I often will actually sing out loud when I feel I'm having breath control issues during a race or training run....it helps me calm and even my breathing.

Prerace nerves are normal....happens to everyone. I used to have them soooo badly that it was crippling. What I did for me was overwhelmed my calendar one year. Raced 5Ks every saturday and sunday for about 2 months. Cured the nerves. Now I feel excited but not petrified.

Most of all ENJOY!!!!! Endurance running is such a special thing....so few do it and we are an unusual breed of people. Be proud, enjoy and relish in your accomplishment. Race day is just that, a day. Its a measurement of one days performance. You're a kick *kitten* runner who rocks in my book!!!

Go rock that race!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Ditto to the other posters.

Good luck!! You'll do great I am sure. :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Dehydration will slow you down.

No evidence that this is the case, but plenty to the contrary. Studies show that the fastest runners are the most dehydrated at the end of the race.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

It's rare that I will hydrate on a training run. Over 16 miles and above 76°F or so, then I'll take along water. It's just not necessary from a physiological perspective (psychologically maybe) if you enter the workout properly hydrated, which our body is designed to ensure that we are.

I will drink a little during a race, but not much. I find it hard to get the water down without choking, so why bother.

I also don't drink much on training runs (until it gets hot, anyway). Last time I raced a half I took no water at all except at one station I grabbed a cup and swished it around in my mouth and spit it out because my mouth was feeling dry.

And FWIW there have been several times where I've gulped down more water than just a sip or two and have gotten a side stitch very soon after.
  • natalie412
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that replied. Had a great race today. Only had one sip of water during the race, but it was only about 35 degrees at the start of the race. Picked exactly the right pace too - ran with the 2:10 pacer until mile 9 and then sped up to end up with an average pace of 9:41.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that replied. Had a great race today. Only had one sip of water during the race, but it was only about 35 degrees at the start of the race. Picked exactly the right pace too - ran with the 2:10 pacer until mile 9 and then sped up to end up with an average pace of 9:41.

Awesome! Way to bring it home!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    good for you! sounds like you kicked it's *kitten*!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Excellent!