hist channel The Bible series

Options
happy Easter.

I watched as much of the series as I can stand. (about 80% of them) and the entire last episode last night. I cringed when Jesus' words on the cross (from Luke) were misquoted, sighed when Stephen's martyrdom seemed pointless, and laughed at the weak and very compassionate Apostles. The series could have been quite allot more imo, starting out good but then fizzling out.

The watered down stories with all the jumping around was easy for a child to follow but left me wanting more. How many times do we need to see Roma Downy's pieta posture? And why couldn't the HIstory channel be more firm on the accuacy of the sets? Hadn't the producers ever read the gospels? The tomb was in a garden, not on Mars.

I do hope that it gets the spiritually starved masses to think a bit, as for this Christian I am thankful for the series but was not impressed at all. Any one want to share thier thoughts?

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You just can't compete with Mel Gibson!
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    NOT impressed in our home, either. I don't find the History Channel to be a reliable source for much of what it airs.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It was far from perfect, but that's what God has to work with...imperfect human beings. However, it did have 10 million people a week thinking about Jesus for an hour. During the first episode, the Catholics Come Home website was crashed by people looking for information on coming back to the Church. I believe the producers had good intentions, and God can bring good out of our feeble efforts. :smile:
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It was far from perfect, but that's what God has to work with...imperfect human beings. However, it did have 10 million people a week thinking about Jesus for an hour. During the first episode, the Catholics Come Home website was crashed by people looking for information on coming back to the Church. I believe the producers had good intentions, and God can bring good out of our feeble efforts. :smile:

Agreed.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options

That is awesome!! I love your way of thinking!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    yep. like I said, glad the message got out. It's a shame that the stories of the Bible get so watered down. Look at the History channel's new show, Vikings. Not historically accurate either, lots of literary license, but phenomenal following and no pulling the sex an violence yet keeping it in a contained and respectable manner of presentation.

I think that's why The Passion made it as a hit.

Did anyone like any specific tale of the Bible series? I thought samon's bio was told well enought to get the gist of his God-given calling and how he successfully (yet finally) passed the numerous tests God gave him as a judge. It shared the spiritual message well and kept the sex and violence up. Now that's Biblical! lol. Sinners becoming Saints are the best tales ever.