Drag

Options
MartialPanda
MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
Hey everyone! So my college is doing a drag show. Once a year. This is my senior year so i'm DOING IT UP.

My problem is that I have NO IDEA how to do drag. I'm basically a gay man in terms of my fashion choices. However, i still look like a woman.....get my drift. So any tips of how to be a drag king would be extremely helpful. Only idea i have is to bind and put my hair up in a bun and cover it with a fedora. Anything else??

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So my college is doing a drag show. Once a year. This is my senior year so i'm DOING IT UP.

My problem is that I have NO IDEA how to do drag. I'm basically a gay man in terms of my fashion choices. However, i still look like a woman.....get my drift. So any tips of how to be a drag king would be extremely helpful. Only idea i have is to bind and put my hair up in a bun and cover it with a fedora. Anything else??

OK, no, I don't "get it". Are you saying that you are transitioning or a Butch or what? If you are still a woman, any male clothes would be "Drag"...Heck, I can look like a guy in female clothes. Don't you know what a man look like, choose one and copy the look.

ETA: If you are Transitioning and have female features...I'd dress like a really masculine man...Drag is the OPPOSITE of who you are. Psychologically, go with the Opposite as you see yourself.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i love drag. i don't do it myself anymore, but i love the culture of it. binding will help, and you might want to practice ahead of time because it can be very painful. ace bandages with or without a squashy sports bra will work, unless you want to shell out a lot of $ for a proper binding top. hit the 2nd hand stores for clothes. find something that fits your body and fits the style you're going for. flashy accessories help. fake mustaches and other faux trimmings are really fun. drag is a combination of finding your alter persona and being creative and unique in the process. post pix!
  • JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So jealous. Man, I've had a fantasy to do a drag king routine to Bill Withers' "Use Me" for years. I've never done it, so I'm just pulling this out of my *kitten*, but here's what I'd advise. Find a song you think you could bring your own flavor and attitude to. Wear something that complements the song. Choreograph your smoking hot routine. Don't forget to plan segments where you accept get tips from your adoring fans. Practice, practice, practice. In the end, it's not going to be what you're wearing but the confidence you exude.
  • MartialPanda
    Options

OK, no, I don't "get it". Are you saying that you are transitioning or a Butch or what? If you are still a woman, any male clothes would be "Drag"...Heck, I can look like a guy in female clothes. Don't you know what a man look like, choose one and copy the look.

ETA: If you are Transitioning and have female features...I'd dress like a really masculine man...Drag is the OPPOSITE of who you are. Psychologically, go with the Opposite as you see yourself.

No....i'm not transitioning. I'm simply doing a drag show for the funsies. I'm just looking for tips to make it look authentic. I also have to think of a soundtrack to dance to.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Without assigning any roles...If I looked like you and was doing drag, I'd do something like Biggie (They Call Me BIG Papa)! I'd rock it out with a Herum of half nekked women all ova Me. I'd dress out in a gansta suit, fedora, walking stick, c-gar...and do NOT forget a "wife-beater"! I think Biggie has a video with that cut on it, check Youtube for it and other video ideas.

As someone said...Post your pics. 5^
  • MartialPanda
    Options
    LMAO! I would love to have a harem of naked women around me but i'm certain my gf would cut all of them before that. I know a bunch of dancers so that would've been a good option.

I kinda wanna get a drag counterpart and do Britney's womanizer. Make sexy as hell.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    SO MUCH FUN!
  • MartialPanda
    Options
    LMAO! I JUST MIGHT!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I regularly perform as a drag king!

Here's my top tips:

-Pick a "character." Find an over-the-top guy "type" or an actual character to imitate. Practice walking, standing and moving your arms like them. You can even follow around a male friend and imitate them.

-Pack. Whether it's a sock or something more exciting, having something between your legs helps you walk like a dude. Practice walking.

-Wear layers. A jacket really helps hide the waist/hips. I don't have a real binder, I just cut the legs off a control-top panty hose and put it under a tight sports bra, then the shirts.

-Hats help with character and hiding hairline, little ears, etc.

-Use mascara to make your eyebrows bigger. It looks pretty realistic and makes a HUGE difference in your face. Look at pictures of men's eyebrows. they are bigger than you think.

-You can also use mascara to catch the peach fuzz on your face and do sideburns, mustache, goatee... you'd be amazed at how furry you can look. Don't use black- it will end up looking purplish. I used to glue real hair on my face, but it's too annoying.

Have fun!