Link to Energy Gel Site

Options
ATT949
ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
The internet is an amazing resource and the web can be fascinating to wander around in. There's tons and tons of information about running and I happened to happen across this site a couple of months back.

http://www.energygelcentral.com

Yes, a site about energy gels is pretty esoteric but I'm starting a training plan in a couple of weeks and I will be doing run of 10 or more per week as well as at least 6 miler so I will need to start carrying fuel when I run.

In the past I've used Gu Chomps before runs and I've also use Gu gel. Nothing wrong with those but even in 24-pack, they're just over $1 per packet. In addition to the longer runs, sometimes my work gets in the way of my running (imagine that!) and I don't get to time my lunch right so glug, glug, glug to get an energy gel down while I'm lacing up the sneaks.

Based on what I read at EGC, I wanted to try making my own gel but, since they were out of stock on their powder mix back then, I decided to try Karo syrup (it's just maltodextrin in a bottle) but that's awfully sticky and has a pretty strong taste (it's very sweet to me).

I received a promo email a few days ago so I ordered a bag of the pre-mixed powder and will see how that works when I tackle my longer runs in a few weeks.

In addition to energy-gels-on-the-cheap, the site also has some interesting information about "how things work" when we run. What caught my eye today was this page:

http://www.energygelcentral.com/blog/item/don-t-sweat-over-electrolytes

One of the biggest issues that we have to battle today is "information overload" and, sad to say, that a lot of the information that we read is

Hmm, I guess the best way that I can put it is that in my 56 years on this planet, I've taken the attitude of "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't." and "Most of what you read on the internet is bull****." (I've been using the Internet since 1987 which was well before the World Wide Web was created)

Fortunately, what I've read at ECG squares with other resources (yes, little of what I read on MFP squares with other resources but that's another story) so you folks might want to add this to your "late night reading".