Is it genetics?

Hi all...
Im sure youve seen this debate many times surrounding mental health, but do we think its caused by nature (genetics) ? Nurture (how were brought up and our environment) or a combination of both?

Personally i think it is both. And somethign that you science kids might find interesting is that i have mental illnesses, as mentioned, which are thought to be as a result of serotonin and dopamine levels in the brain and brain activity. Both of my parents and a paternal auntie suffer from different types of epilepsy, also caused by a changed in brain activity....is this coincidence? I dont know, what are your thoughts?

Charlie

Replies

• SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    I didn't know it was a debate. I thought it was a fact that chemical imbalance is genetic. But I think that *sometimes* how we are brought up or our life experiences can accelerate or slow down the results... sometimes not. I have mental illnesses too.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    my whole family is nuts. I have the same issues my parents do and share it with my sister.
    I saw my issues in older generations of my family as well. My grandmother and great aunt and great grandmother.
    Environment and behavior training help. I've done loads to change myself and get better.

Really, I can see Crazy in lots of people. Some have no Crazy at all. Lucky *kitten*. It is what it is no matter the cause.
    All you can do is figure out how to live.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    I have never done any research...but with my own family (mother's side), there have been 3 suicides. A cousin at 21, another cousin at 67, and my grandfather at 70. Lots of mental illness, some treated, some not.

I suffer greatly myself and am medicated for major depression. However, I feel I have something else going on because I have really good stretches (6-8 months at a time), then really bad stretches. I've looked into SAD, Hypomania, and others. Totally confused. But I am now in the negative/bad mode. Craving heavy foods, high carbs. I'n totally satisfied with sitting on the couch all day...and putting myself into a carb-coma. It feels intentional.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    I have never done any research...but with my own family (mother's side), there have been 3 suicides. A cousin at 21, another cousin at 67, and my grandfather at 70. Lots of mental illness, some treated, some not.

I suffer greatly myself and am medicated for major depression. However, I feel I have something else going on because I have really good stretches (6-8 months at a time), then really bad stretches. I've looked into SAD, Hypomania, and others. Totally confused. But I am now in the negative/bad mode. Craving heavy foods, high carbs. I'n totally satisfied with sitting on the couch all day...and putting myself into a carb-coma. It feels intentional.

Thats alot to deal with :( Yes that doesnt sound like run of the mill depression. Can you get a second opinion? sorry youre in the negative mode. Im the same at the moment and yes it feels intentional, but its probably not. Its your negative mood making you feel that way. I feel like my life is going down the pan and im just laying back and watching it dissolve... Do you have any therapy?

charlie x