Different dating sites?

Options
LGrill27
LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
I see a lot of mentions on Single Peeps about certain dating sites. I have never joined a dating site so I truly have no idea and my question is genuine. Why are there so many niche dating sites? Christian Mingle, Our Time, Black People Meet, Single Parent Meet, Tall Friends etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a site for Blondes Only. You get the idea. I thought all dating sites allow you to break down the different criteria that you may be looking for? With Match and Eharmony for example isn't it possible to search for someone who is between a certain age, race, height, religion already, even interest such as animal lover and enjoys outdoors. I would find it odd (as well as the other person) to be matched up with a 25yr age difference and completely different religious views. My guess is the success rate with the niche sites? Finally I had to ask what POF is… why is POF somewhat of the laugh around here? How does it differ from any other dating site with a search results just curious.

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've never tried any of the niche sites, so I can't comment on those. My take on those id that there would probably be a lot less people to choose from, but probably also a lot less crap to weed out. And yes, most dating sites let you search by all different types of criteria. You can basically put together a shopping list of the criteria you want and it will show you the people that most closely fit what you're looking for.

POF is Plenty of Fish. I don't think it's much different than Match or OK Cupid, I've had some decent luck with it. I just don't like the layout and design of the site itself, it's just horrible to look at. But it's free so you get what you pay for.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I think POF is popular because its free. Something about a dating site being free creeps me out but I have looked at it before. There seem to be a few good guys but it looks like mostly, uh, odd men on there, at least in my area.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I actually really like the set up for OkCupid. If I was still interested in seeking out a relationship I would still be using it.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of mentions on Single Peeps about certain dating sites. I have never joined a dating site so I truly have no idea and my question is genuine. Why are there so many niche dating sites? Christian Mingle, Our Time, Black People Meet, Single Parent Meet, Tall Friends etc. etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a site for Blondes Only. You get the idea. I thought all dating sites allow you to break down the different criteria that you may be looking for? With Match and Eharmony for example isn't it possible to search for someone who is between a certain age, race, height, religion already, even interest such as animal lover and enjoys outdoors. I would find it odd (as well as the other person) to be matched up with a 25yr age difference and completely different religious views. My guess is the success rate with the niche sites? Finally I had to ask what POF is… why is POF somewhat of the laugh around here? How does it differ from any other dating site with a search results just curious.

Because a lot of people know what they are looking for and those criteria meet that - like if you only want to meet christians, why wouldn't you do christian mingle? Sure, you can sign up on a broader site, but you will get a lof of messages from people who aren't christian, why bother doing that? I've done an Indian site myself (I'm Indian) because I wanted to meet Indian guys and most Indian people I know have done that too, nbd.

The other sites don't "match" you up with people (maybe eharmony does) - but like on plenty of fish or match, you can write to whoever you want. Often those people ARE much older, different religious views etc.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    POF is for sex
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have used dating sites.

okcupid and pof- both are free and similar. okcupid does have stupid tests you can take which can pass time. However, i have found that they are mostly for hookups and I have found a lot of married people use it. I don't get it.

I have also tried Match.com but no luck. So now, just debating on others or just waiting.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    For pay sites I've tried Match.com and Zoosk. Both were a waste of money for me. Didn't receive any messages except from scammers. I'm on OK cupid but no luck there either:grumble: . Kinda disheartening. Haven't tried POF yet.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think different people have different experiences, also based on their area...but..

POF - I did date someone for 9 months, but I tend to find the men want hookups mainly
    OkCupid - deleted my profile in 1 day, the men who responded to my add scared me that much
    Match.com - paid POF site, horrible waste of my money
    Eharmony - paid site, but it has yielded me the most dates and the closest matches. Now mind you I am still single but for me I like this site the best. Yes you can't just openly search people, but I find that overwhelming anyways
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Agree with Kim....depends on the person and the area...

POF - I have had met a lot of great guys through POF and was engaged to a man I met through it.
    OKC - I was on it for about 3 weeks. Just a lot of guys looking for hookups. I went on 4 dates with one guy, he ended up being a flake though. Sweetest guy, just flakey.
    Match - I've had no real luck on there. My experience has been that it's the first stop for men when they get out of a LTR. I've had so many men cry on a first date that I've met from Match (no joke, I can't count how many).
    EHarmony - I had good results with it a couple years ago and signed up again about 6 week ago. So far I've been on 1 date and the guy was just not my type. There are a lot of matches 60+ miles away, but I'd like to stay local.
    Zoosk - I lasted about a week. It was just ghetto.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Haven't used any though did run across this one:
    http://www.fitness-singles.com/
    For the active, workout types. Anyone ever heard of this one or used it before?
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Oooh.... no, but I like the idea.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree that the free sites are better than the pay sites.

Paid for match--was a waste of money

Paid for eharmony--have not had a single date from there (3 mos--not even any one that I would be interested in)

Free POF--2 LTR relationships, and many good dates---Definitely do NOT agree that it is just for sex

Free OKCupid--not alot in my area, but had 2 dates--nice guys, but too far away.........
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    didnt say Just.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Haven't used any though did run across this one:
    http://www.fitness-singles.com/
    For the active, workout types. Anyone ever heard of this one or used it before?

I've heard decent things about it but haven't used it myself. Since I'm not quite where I want to be weight-wise, I don't want any guys there assuming I'm a fake if that makes sense.
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just haven't had best of luck on those. However, I am horrible with the dating process. I would rather be friends first and then move on. OOPS. ha
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    This thread has just driven me to singledom forever. :-)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    This thread has just driven me to singledom forever. :-)

Probably for the best.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    POF is for sex
    OK Cupid came across more to me like that.... hated that site!!!

I've actually met some great people on POF... guys that I've remained friends with even when dates didn't go any further.... (K, I have also met some heathens on POF but that's a whole different post....)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'm trying a niche site on the basis that it appeals to a particular demographic, and reduces the number of men to sort through. If a site appeals to a particular group who have characteristics you find desirable in a mate, that has to improve your chances of finding someone compatible. That, and when I've previously tried a couple of the bigger dating sites, they either 'matched' me with someone completely inappropriate (I'm an opera singer with multiple degrees who loves to read and debate, enjoys skiing, jazz and country walks - obviously my perfect match is a plumber who left school at 15, has a rottweiler and lists his main interests as football, rap and death metal...!:noway: ) , or there were just too many people and it was too time-consuming sorting through hundreds of profiles to identify those who really were of interest.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    (I'm an opera singer with multiple degrees who loves to read and debate, enjoys skiing, jazz and country walks - obviously my perfect match is a plumber who left school at 15, has a rottweiler and lists his main interests as football, rap and death metal...!:noway: )

Oh my! Looks like it's time for them to reconfigure their algorithm.... Poor plumber was probably a bit overwhelmed, as well....

--P