Insulin resistant and blood sugar levels....

Options
LoveFitNation
LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
Hey so question...I am trying to figure out if I am insulin resistant...I have PCOS - so that means I most likely am...I am trying to figure out what foods affect my body...so I am testing my blood sugar levels...my morning (fasted) number has been anywhere between 93-112...so I am on the upper end of normal to prediabetic I believe...but I feel like there are to many variables (like when my dinner was - what I ate for dinner - what I ate during the day - what my sleep was like - etc) to be able to really rely on just that one number per day to figure out what foods are affecting my body in a negative way...so now I am trying to test my blood two hours after eating to see if my numbers are high or normal...does this make sense??? Will it actually give me an accurate answer to what foods are affecting me, if I am insulin resistant, and how badly I may be??? Anyone else try to do this before???

Replies

• Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    There is a glucose tolerance test that is what your doctor would use to diagnose you as insulin resistant. They have you fast overnight, take a blood test (your fasting sample), have you drink this awful sugary drink, then run blood tests at hour intervals (mine was 2, some do 3). They are measuring the rate at which your body deals with the sugar. I think anything you do on your own won't be as accurate as a doctor testing and interpreting your results.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Agree you need to have an OGTT done (oral glucose tolerance test) to figure that out, I doubt you can get accurate enough results on your own.

That being said, my OGTT came back completely normal which I find suspect, but for most of my life I would have been considered "thin PCOS" so maybe that was right for me at the time.

But have it done for sure, and then you can discuss any symptoms of insulin resistance that you might have with your doctor at that time.
  • FaithVanessa1987
    FaithVanessa1987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I will have to agree with these ladies. You have to take the glucose test that they give to women whom are pregnant. If you decide to take it, I'd choose the orange flavor...tastes like a really sugary orange soda. My numbers when I tested my blood sugar were normal...which is shocking. I thought that they would be either way to low or to high. I am considered insulin resistance. I make 3 times the amount of insulin needed for my body. It does make it hard to loose weight but I am determined to do it. This is kind of a crazy fact about me...I make 3 times the amount of insulin for my body and my sister doesn't make any insulin. She is diabetic and has to depend on an insulin pump.

Good Luck with Everything!!
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I had to take this test - they were checking to see if I have pregnancy diabetes - they check everyone - anyways I was normal (I failed the first test which isn't a fasting one so I had to do a 3 hr fasting one) - is that the same thing you are talking about?? I figured that just looked into diabetes - not insulin resistant??
  • FaithVanessa1987
    FaithVanessa1987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The one I took was the 3 hour test. I had to fast the night before. They took my blood every hour. It's the same test that they do give for gestational diabetes. I hope this helps some.