Z5K - Slowly Improving

Options
I will admit to being a GIANT slacker when it comes to doing my jogging because jogging sucks and I'm still waiting to be completely incapacitated by my shins. Having said that, today's training to run from zombies brought some revelations...

1. During my 2nd free run (W3:2), I slowed to a walk after 2 minutes. I then wondered, "why did I slow down?" Sure, my calves & shins were starting to burn a little, but it was just exercise burn, not the shooting pain from previous attempts to C25K. I could breathe just fine & the burn quickly went away, so I went back to jogging.

2. I'm way better at this than when I started, which is hard to believe given how sporadically I do this. Sure, it started with 15s runs & I'm only now at 1min per the program, but today I did an extra 13 minutes of straight jogging during the free runs. It was slow as hell, but faster than the lady walking ahead of me.

3. I pulled out an earbud as I passed said lady and asked her if anyone has told her how awesome she is today. She looked confused and said "no," so I told her she was doing awesome and it made her smile.

4. I would've kept up with the jog/walk on my own for longer, but too much water pre-workout and I'd already gone into the rec center once to use the bathroom. Also, it was finally "raining" hard enough to make visibility annoying through glasses.

5. Part of the slowing during free runs is to pull my pants up. They slide down during the jogging phases & new clothes are not in the budget.

The important part, I'm sticking with this and I'm getting better every training mission.

Replies

• dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    A suggestion for your shins and calves, if you are planning to make this running thing a long-term habit: Invest in genuine high-quality running shoes. It makes a huge difference for comfort and lack of pain, and can actually make the running easier. :)
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    A suggestion for your shins and calves, if you are planning to make this running thing a long-term habit: Invest in genuine high-quality running shoes. It makes a huge difference for comfort and lack of pain, and can actually make the running easier. :)

The first round with seriously old shoes I'd used for everyday things ended in swollen and inflamed shins. The second time, with cheap shoes from 6pm rubbed blisters into my heels so bad that I didn't finish a mile. The third time, with slightly more expensive shoes (they're now my general aerobics shoes), there was shin pain.

I have a friend who FORCED me into a running store to get fitted before this round of trying to run. I love, LOVE my Lunarglide 4's, even though I had a mild heart attack as I went to pay for them.

"Don't land on your heel" has become my running mantra, in addition to remembering to lean forward a little and "jog, not run.". This is the first time I've felt my calves working; the rest of the attempts focused sharp pain on my shins only. This is also the first time I've made it out of the first week in any C25K program. I ice my shins when I get home, even though they aren't getting tender to the touch like before.

I think this time, I'll get through, as long as I stop hurting myself in other ways, like falling down stairs.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I have a friend who FORCED me into a running store to get fitted before this round of trying to run. I love, LOVE my Lunarglide 4's, even though I had a mild heart attack as I went to pay for them.

You have a good friend :)

I had a similar experience with a few bad pairs of shoes ... and now that I have found a model that works for me, I stock up whenever I find them on sale in cheap online outlet stores. I am down to one back-up pair now, and will need to scavenge on eBay and Amazon again soon.

If I tie me my shoes too tight the shin splints come back for me, and landing on my heel as well. As you said, "jog, don't run".
  • nytefalle
    Options
    If I tie me my shoes too tight the shin splints come back for me, and landing on my heel as well. As you said, "jog, don't run".

The thing I love most about the Lunarglides is the adaptive fit the Flywires provide versus regular eyelets. Normally, I have to re-lace my shoes to make the heels snug and relieve pressure on the top of my arch, but this shoe does it all for me. I kept band-aids in my pocket the first few times out, just in case, but the shoe's been nice enough not to even think about forming blisters :flowerforyou: Seriously, I need this shoe in every ridiculously bright color I can get!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I looked up the price of the Lunarglide +4. Yikes! Suddenly my New Balance W750 don't seem so bad...
  • nytefalle
    Options
    I paid full retail for mine at the running store, but managed to score a pair for my husband online for $75 shipped. Between my shoes & jogging bra, I have too much invested in this to quit :wink: I feel beyond guilty at spending that much on shoes, but I've been going longer than any previous attempt, and I must remind myself that I'm definitely worth it.