Thinking about Titanium

Options
lpherman01
lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
People ask me how many bikes I have and the answer is always "more than I need but less than I want". Well I'm thinking about another road bike, and I already have steel, aluminum and carbon road bikes, so naturally Ti becons. I am going to run disk brakes on it, just be be ahead of the curve. Any one out there riding Ti fast & how does it compare?

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I think I'll be watching this thread with interest myself, as the next bike is "project winter" - hopefully a Ti frame and disk wheeled fast audax ride with mudguard clearances...
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing to offer. I've never ridden titanium or really given it a thought.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a Ti road bike: Lynskey Helix OS; moved over from carbon. The Helix is unique in that it has twisted (spiral) top and down tubes that help to provide lateral stiffness. I can attest that it is light and responsive.

I have not yet purchased a mt bike, but when I do, it will be Ti.

Lyn_Helix32412sm.jpg
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too. I hear Ti is supposed to be very supple which seems to me would make a great touring or commuting bike. I love my road disk brakes BTW :-)
  • len_bot
    len_bot Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I test road a bicycle made from seven cycles a carbon TI mix. Felt as stiff and light as my monocoque carbon but it looked amazing. also it was about twice the price as my bike. Some day maybe.

http://www.sevencycles.com/bikes/622-slx.php
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a Ti road bike: Lynskey Helix OS; moved over from carbon. The Helix is unique in that it has twisted (spiral) top and down tubes that help to provide lateral stiffness. I can attest that it is light and responsive.

Your Lynskey looks really unique. There is a custom frame builder up here in PA (Tom Kellogg - Spectrum Cycles) that works with Seven Cycles and makes completely custom fitted bikes. They are all one-offs and look incredibly beautiful. If This bike can combine the comfort and feel of my steel Colnago with the lightness close to my Trek Madone, it would be an amazing ride, and exactly what I am looking for. I see that you have an ENVE fork which I am also considering.
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ... If This bike can combine the comfort and feel of my steel Colnago with the lightness close to my Trek Madone, it would be an amazing ride, and exactly what I am looking for.

Yep - that's the "new Ti." Another buddy of mine has a Moots - Vamoots RSL and claims that he is never going back to carbon. Same story ... "surprisingly light and responsive."
    I see that you have an ENVE fork which I am also considering.

Yes - actually, I am running Enve fork, handlebars and wheel-set. The wheel-set is the smart system 3.4 clincher.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This thread is breaking my heart. I love my bike, but I would *love* to have a stable of bikes; more than I have socks. It's not the bike money that holds be back, but the cost/space equation of New York city real estate.
  • boosht
    boosht Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sheldon brown ideal read !..

Material / Modulus (psi) / Yield Point / Density (lb/ft3)
    Aluminum / 10 to 11 x 10*6 / 11 to 59 x 103psi (4-22 annealed.) / 168.5
    Steel / 30 x 10*6 / 46 to 162 x 103 psi / 490
    Titanium / 15 to 16.5 x 10*6 / 40 to 120 x 103 psi / 280

Modulus is flexability , Yield is strength and density is weight. so looking at the above Ti coems out quite well in comparison according to sheldon Brown from other metal materials. Personally apart from front forks i've been very cautious of carbon, but it's been around long enough now that the weak points must have been eradicated.. i've seen far to many people in off road rides and holding two pieces of carbon frame in there hands. which is one point why i stayed clear of carbon as much as possible.

i have been looking into maybe a 853 steel frame as lighter but strong also.. but looking at the Ti element seems to gather interest.

good luck in what ever you decide... !.
  • defragmenteur
    Options
    I bought a Lynskey Sportive frame this winter. There is a disk brake version of this frame (http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/sportive-disc-complete-with-shimano-105.html). Should ride it for the first time this afternoon.