NOTHING in common

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
For the last couple days, have been exchanging short emails with a guy on POF.....just basics, where he lives, what he does, does he have kids, etc.

So, last night I asked about his pics because from one to another they seem very different - same person, just a differentl "look". He told me which one was most recent....and that his main pic was from last year or whatever. So then he said..." i am glad you saw something you like" I said "I like many things--the beach, rollercoasters, boating, baking, kids.....should I go on?" His response was "I hate all those things" So I responded with "I don't believe you :)" because he had talked about his daughter and seemed to adore her, so it seemed he couldn't hate kids...........He says " I don't lie. I am not a sun lover, I get seasick, I would rather bumper cars, can't bake a lick" and I said "but you don't hate kids" and he said "those other than my own I do"

At this point, I am thinking we have little in common.......so I just say "headed to bed-have a great night"........He says "goodnight" and gives me his Cell number--WHY?????

Am I wrong to think that with all that at opposite ends, not worth pursuing?

Replies

• FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    *Enter buzzer sound here*

NEXT......
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    *Enter buzzer sound here*

NEXT......

If you have bad feelings about him not liking your stuff Next him before it goes futher
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I can never help but to call people like that out.

"You hate everything I love. Or you just like to year it down. Either way, why do you think I would call you after that display?"
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what he likes. The fact you two have parts that complement each other. That's why he messaged you :P
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Onto the next!
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    For the last couple days, have been exchanging short emails with a guy on POF.....just basics, where he lives, what he does, does he have kids, etc.

So, last night I asked about his pics because from one to another they seem very different - same person, just a differentl "look". He told me which one was most recent....and that his main pic was from last year or whatever. So then he said..." i am glad you saw something you like" I said "I like many things--the beach, rollercoasters, boating, baking, kids.....should I go on?" His response was "I hate all those things" So I responded with "I don't believe you :)" because he had talked about his daughter and seemed to adore her, so it seemed he couldn't hate kids...........He says " I don't lie. I am not a sun lover, I get seasick, I would rather bumper cars, can't bake a lick" and I said "but you don't hate kids" and he said "those other than my own I do"

At this point, I am thinking we have little in common.......so I just say "headed to bed-have a great night"........He says "goodnight" and gives me his Cell number--WHY?????

Am I wrong to think that with all that at opposite ends, not worth pursuing?

Are those all "deal breakers?" Do you spend alot of time at the beach/on rollercoasters/boating/baking? I could see him hating kids could be a dealbreaker, especially if you have kids.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I can tell you what he likes. The fact you two have parts that complement each other. That's why he messaged you :P

I liked your cat in the pants picture better.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Are those all "deal breakers?" Do you spend alot of time at the beach/on rollercoasters/boating/baking? I could see him hating kids could be a dealbreaker, especially if you have kids.

Honestly, the part that bothered me is the part where he responded with "I hate all those things". She's expressing things that she loves to do and enjoys and he slams it, then when she laughs it off, he slams it more. The deal breaker for me would be his negativity. I know there are people that do this sort of thing, they try to feel superior by hating all things others like (hipsters, I'm looking at you) for the sake of being cynical.

If I was telling a guy things that I love as a part of my life and he said "I hate all of those things" without even going into the things HE likes, I would say "Okay, well I hope the next lady you speak with is a better match. Have a good night!" because NOBODY GOT TIME FO' THAT! tuzki-bunny-emoticon-005.gif
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

Honestly, the part that bothered me is the part where he responded with "I hate all those things". She's expressing things that she loves to do and enjoys and he slams it, then when she laughs it off, he slams it more. The deal breaker for me would be his negativity. I know there are people that do this sort of thing, they try to feel superior by hating all things others like (hipsters, I'm looking at you) for the sake of being cynical.

If I was telling a guy things that I love as a part of my life and he said "I hate all of those things" without even going into the things HE likes, I would say "Okay, well I hope the next lady you speak with is a better match. Have a good night!" because NOBODY GOT TIME FO' THAT! tuzki-bunny-emoticon-005.gif

True. If he was serious then he needs to go find a personality. It's kinda hard to tell via internet... because even if i really did hate something I could still see myself saying something like that and laughing about it...Something like "Awesome, you just named all the things that I hate" but if I did it online then you wouldnt' be able to tell that there was some humor there.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

This. If he were interested in a relationship at all, he would've found a way to be honest about having different interests without blatantly slamming yours. This guy is hoping that you're dumb, desperate, or that you simply have no self-respect.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

This. If he were interested in a relationship at all, he would've found a way to be honest about having different interests without blatantly slamming yours. This guy is hoping that you're dumb, desperate, or that you simply have no self-respect.

english-idioms-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    He just sounds like a miserable human being with a negative outlook.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

I can agree to the negative part.. See I read an article recently about how common interests aren't core values and it was very informative. Does it really matter if he likes country music and you don't? no not really, but the fact that you listed your likes and instead of him listing his - or saying 'hey I've never done that but I'd try' he slammed then and that is negative... so yeah, I wouldn't invest anytime in time I don't think....
  • Moe4572
    Options
    They aren't dealbreakers per se....if it was one of those things, but the fact that he hates them all.....or even that he said he did with backup that seemed to prove it.....yeah, no connection I am thinking. But I just thought it was odd that after that exchange he gives me his number? Odd.....
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    They aren't dealbreakers per se....if it was one of those things, but the fact that he hates them all.....or even that he said he did with backup that seemed to prove it.....yeah, no connection I am thinking. But I just thought it was odd that after that exchange he gives me his number? Odd.....

It's also possible that he was being funny, and that was his humor and you missed it?
    Not sure!!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

It's also possible that he was being funny, and that was his humor and you missed it?
    Not sure!!!

I agree he could be trying to be funny. Personally I'd wait a bit before scaring her off with my terrible humor. I wouldn't have done this so soon, but again, that's me.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Not sure!!!

I agree he could be trying to be funny. Personally I'd wait a bit before scaring her off with my terrible humor. I wouldn't have done this so soon, but again, that's me.

It's pretty easy to get a joking tone across. There's a difference between "I hate all of those things" and "Oh shucks, I hate all of those things LOL". Or simple "Jk, jk"
  • Moe4572
    Options
    But I did think he was being funny which is why I said I didn't believe him...............and he provided backup....guess it still could be trying to be funny.....but really was not--and I have not heard from him again..........so maybe he got it?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont think he thinks anything of it. He's just being honest. Not all relationships are built on common interests. Perhaps you could have said "what do you like then?"

I dunno, it's up to you if you want to find out if he's a miserable git or if you have anything else in common.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Have you asked him if there are other things in this world that he loves? It might be a lot of stuff you still enjoy. There are a zillion hobbies.

I find more helpful to have a similar mindset about how you like to live life more than what activities fall in that range.

both active but he gets seasick and doesnt like the sun? what about camping?