Deciding on a new lifting schedule...

Options
erincampbell9
erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
So, I am female, 5'7'', weigh 155 lbs. Last fall I did ChalEAN Extreme (CE) (dumbbell lifting, I did it as "heavy" as I could to muscle failure). I just finished up 12 weeks of Stronglifts 5x5 and I really really enjoy Stronglifts but I am getting bored. I would like to do a hybrid of CE and Stronglifts. It might look like this:

M: CE & 15 minute run
T: Cardio - run or TurboFire/HIIT
W: Stronglifts 5x5 - combining workouts A & B into one day
Th: Cardio - run or TurboFire/HIIT
F: CE & 15 minute run

I still have about 15 pounds to lose and I don't want to completely give up Stronglifts but I need to change it up. I need to keep my schedule in the Monday thru Friday range (3 days lifting, 2 cardio with Sat. & Sun. rest days) because I work out at 4:30 a.m. as this is just the only time I can get it in without distractions and it is what works for me.

Has anyone combined Stronglifts with another program like CE or something else?

Would it be okay to combine Stronglifts workouts A & B into one day?

I also thought about doing Cathy Strong & Heavy which looks pretty good but I really want to keep these heavy compound lifts somewhere in my routine.

Any suggestions/thoughts are welcome, thanks.

I am gonna post this in some of my other "groups" too.

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Would it be okay to combine Stronglifts workouts A & B into one day?

I can't comment on CE and the Cathy lady or Turbofire (no idea what those are about and have never done either), but I'm personally incorporating all of the major compound lifts into one workout for several weeks now (3x/week ... switching off between rows/deadlifts and power cleans but always doing bench and OH presses and squats), and that's absolutely doable (currently doing 2x10 and working on getting to 2x12 but am switching back to 3x5 here soon after this current cycle is over). I reckon it would work with 5x5 also.

As long as you understand that you're not really doing Stronglifts, but just a 5x5 compound weightlifting routine. Because what makes it Stronglifts (the program) is the overall routine of the 5x5 reps, the A/B sequence and the progressive weight increase in the 12-week cycle(s).

Also, as long as you give yourself a solid 48 hours rest in between compound lifting days, you should be golden, and it looks like your program allows for plenty of rest days overall.

I think after 3 solid months of doing SL you should have an idea of what your body can handle and how to incorporate basic lifting into your overall workout routine, and adjust accordingly. When/if you're at a place where 5x5 no longer serves your purpose and your body is starting to not like it, then it's fine to move on to something like Madcow or another intermediate program or routine.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to combine it with another program, specifically?

I'd do either:
    Switch to a different program that incorporates compounds altogether
    or
    Keep on with SL and add some work at the end - so I'd add 15 minutes at the end of anything you are interested in doing, some 'beach' work as they call it (meaning stuff like specific biceps/triceps/ab work) or some "fun" stuff (whatever that means to you) or work on chin ups or anything like that.

Or switch to a different program that incorporates compounds ANd add 15 minutes of fun work.
  • erincampbell9
    Options
    Thank you for the comments, very helpful. I really like CE and to be honest I really like videos, like following someone doing it. That is why I though CE would be good to pair it with. I am kind of insecure about coming up with other routines, so I thought a video one would be good.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the comments, very helpful. I really like CE and to be honest I really like videos, like following someone doing it. That is why I though CE would be good to pair it with. I am kind of insecure about coming up with other routines, so I thought a video one would be good.

Do you go to the gym to do SL or do you have a home set up? if you go to the gym, I'd think of it as an opportunity to use equipment you won't have at home. Stuff like a dip station/assisted dip machine, glute ham raise (although not many gyms have those), plyo boxes (for box jumps and step ups) and mine has dumbbells that go into 2.5 incremements (so I have access to 12.5, 17.5, and 22.5 dumbbells) for much easier load management. I can help you come up with a routine if you go that route.

Otherwise, I'm only vaguely familiar with Chalean extreme but I think there are multiple videos? What are the different workouts like?
  • erincampbell9
    Options
    I basically turned an old crappy room in my basement into my workout room, so I have good floor, power rack (use it for squats and OHP), olympic bars (2) and a whole set of weights (all used but in great shape with some 2.5 plates) and a bench, it does have dip handles too. I have TV/DVD player down there for carido too. But

So CE is like one workout is 7-9 exercises and you do one set to failure, failing between 10-12 reps for the first four weeks, failing at 6-8 for the second four weeks and then back to failing at 10-12 for the last four weeks. Each month (or set of four weeks) you do different exercises each day: Mon/Wed/Fri, repeat for the four weeks and so on. There are all kinds of stuff like bicep curls, lat raises, tricep overhead stuff, pushups, static lunge w/ bicep curl, lunges with lat raise, deltoid lift, etc. Most are pretty compound, some are isolated and ALL are done with dumbbells. I have a set of knock off selectable dumbbells that go to 25 lbs. I hope this helps, it is kind of hard to explain. Most of the workouts are about 40-50 minutes long.

To be honest, I am just kind of confused what to do next, or if I should change. I saw in another post you commented on that if you WANT to change you should, like I am getting bored and just need to change it up. That being said, I am afraid to kind of "lose" what I have gained, I don't want to go backwards. My body comp has changed for the better and I don't want to lose it. So I am kind of like I want to do another round of CE because I like the variety and it did improve my comp too but I am afraid it won't keep me as strong as I am now...I am afraid to totally go away from the old school squat/DL, etc.

Thanks!