Day 5

MikeInAZ
MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
Well, I tried to make a healthy smoothie for breakfast. I blew my SUGAR right out of the park.

Protein Powder
1/2 cup of almond milk
1/2 cup water
3/4 of a Yoplait Light Yogurt
5 frozen strawberries
263 Calories
18 Grams of Sugar

I guess I have to be really light the rest of the day. NO sneaking chocolate!

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    I had another sugar craving last night before bed but at least it wasnt for ice cream this time. This time i wanted juice so I have 8 oz of raspberry lemonade. I had already blown my sugars before the juice
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Silk makes a no sugar added almond milk. My smoothies aren't exactly sugar free but I keep it down by using plain Greek yogurt, the low sugar almond milk, and the fruits. I add in a ton of super crushed ice then I add stevia if the fruit didn't make it sweet enough for me. I'll use one cup of the yogurt (I used Fage-- you get 9 grams of sugar per cup to Yoplait's 10 grams of sugar per 6 ounces), a tablespoon of the milk (I find I don't need much as the yogurt is quite creamy), and half a cup of strawberries. You can even add powdered baking chocolate which has 0 sugar and only adds like, 3 calories per teaspoon. For extra nutrients, I sometimes add a cup of spinach to the blender-- turns your smoothie green and gives you nutrients, but doesn't affect the flavors at all. It's 24 grams of protein and 13 grams of sugar at 161 calories.
  • i use greek plain yogurt in my a.m. smooth,,,that helps,,,i just have a hard time removing whole group from my diet because of the sugar,,,i am really trying to watch the sugar,,,but struggle with eliminating an apple because of the sugar
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    So how about days 6 and 7? How did you do?
  • carrieous
    im still having some cravings in the evening and I just noticed this greek yogurt with fruit has a staggering 21g of sugar- which is probably why i am still having cravings. I only bought it because it was on sale- lesson learned! Back to plain greek yogurt next shopping trip!

last night i had an Icee at the movies with my daughter.
    the night before i had a handful of frozen chocolate chips with fresh strawberries.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    im still having some cravings in the evening and I just noticed this greek yogurt with fruit has a staggering 21g of sugar- which is probably why i am still having cravings. I only bought it because it was on sale- lesson learned! Back to plain greek yogurt next shopping trip!

last night i had an Icee at the movies with my daughter.
    the night before i had a handful of frozen chocolate chips with fresh strawberries.

Plain yogurt is really not so bad. Unless you go for the greek stuff, the plain greek yogurt kind of has a bite to it. I began drinking plain kefir. The flavor is good, and it would go well with fruit.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    I suggest ditching the yogurt! Many brands of yogurt have about as much sugar as a candy bar! You might be able to find a plain yogurt that doesn't but even those sometimes do, I don't personally care for plain yogurt, so I just don't eat it. For unsweetened almond milk, try making it yourself.

I don't personally worry too much about the natural sugars in fruit, within reason. I lean towards the lower glycemic fruits like berries, for instance, instead of bananas.

Be aware that flour products like bread (even whole wheat!) turn rapidly to glucose in your body. One way to slow it down is to use a mixed grain bread. Personally, I stick to rice and beans for the most part. You can also go for a walk after a meal to help burn the glucose down.

For those who don't know me yet, I have been off of refined sugar for almost two years now, and have lost 184 pounds. Sometimes I eat products with agave nectar, which is very low on the glycemic index, or on rare occasions, even coconut sugar which is about 50 on the glycemic index (as opposed to refined white sugar, which is 100). But usually, I just do without sweeteners. To do this, you have to pretty much go off of processed foods.
  • carrieous
    oh i will never give up yogurt. Its very healthy for me! I will choose plain yogurt tho- I am shocked at how much sugar was in the fruited kind. 21g is insane!