Am I doing this right??

Options
leigaia
leigaia Posts: 9 Member
I started Zombies, Run on Monday ...walking to it. I am no where near being able to RUN it. The next two days I walked/jogged (slow in spurts) and made better time and distance. I had to take yesterday off because of rain and PAIN. I have random zombie encounters turned off till I can work my self up in speed and I want to eventually be able to actually run. I just feel like maybe I'm doing it wrong. I don't know.

Replies

• dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Abel, Runner #5. :)

First off, walking or running to the app doesn't matter. What matters is that you're doing it at all. Everyone is different, and in different stages and places in their lives. The point of this is for you to do what you can, and for me to do what I can, and to remember that we are not competing against each other. I can't even come close to keeping up with my husband when he's out running, so I don't run with him. I run by myself (okay, with the dog), and I compete against myself only.

When I started out with Zombies, Run! I had the same experience you did. I tried to run, and I thought I was going to pass out! Rather than trying anyway and losing interest due to hurting too much (I know myself), I bought their other app, Zombies 5K, which is a couch-to-5K like app. Story-wise it takes place right after the main app's very first mission and the premise is essentially that Abel Township has realized that you will be of more use to them if they train you properly. Cue the lovely Doctor's 5K training program. It starts out easy, goes over eight weeks, and I can already tell it has made a difference. If it's still on sale the Z5K should be about $2 US, and it uses your existing Zombielink account, your playlists, and so on.

Apologies for the impromptu sales pitch. :) It's just that I recognize EXACTLY what you're talking about in your post, and since Z5K really helped me, I thought I'd mention it.

Also, if you're planning to make regular runs a habit, you should early on make it a part of that habit to never run every day. Run on Monday, rest on Tuesday, run on Wednesday, and so on. This is especially important when you start out and your body is unused to the activity. That pain of yours is a warning signal, and learning to listen to your body and to distinguish between the various kinds of pain, so you can tell the difference between when your muscles are in danger and when they are just whining, is also important.

Of course, your body could just be trying to tell you to buy new running shoes. ;-)
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Z25K first because I can't run yet.

But I can jog far more than I could when I started the app - it's working.
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm using the C25K app to get my endurance up as well before going back to the main app--plus it extends the story, definitely a bonus!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, get Zombies 5k Training. I just finished Week 2 and am absolutley loving it. I hate that I can't do it every day, but I know it's bad to not take breaks. The first week you are only running 15 second intervals then walking 90 seconds so it is easier than traditional c25k programs I've read about.
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    I've gotten much farther with the Z5K Training than with other C25K programs because it starts so slowly, as chellebublz said, and there's always the free runs if you want to add more jogging to the mix. I'm currently ending Week 3 where I never made it to Week 2 in other programs due massive shin splints.

Here's what worked for me:

1. Get fitted for running shoes if you haven't already done so. This is going to be your most important investment. I went through 3 pairs of cheaper shoes before finally getting fitted and while the price is enough to give me a heart attack (Nike Lunarglide +4), I love my shoes more than anything. Once you have good running shoes, ONLY use them for running so you don't prematurely wear them out.

2. I'm not sure where you're feeling pain, but try focusing on your posture & how your foot hits the ground. Shoulders down, relaxed. Let your arms naturally swing across your body (in front of your torso) with your arms at about 90 degree angles instead of pumping them back and forth. Relax your hands, too. Imagine you're holding an egg in each hand.

If it's shin pain, work on NOT landing on your heels and don't push off with your toes. Touch and leave the ground midfoot, aka the balls of your feet. One other thing...you know when you lean too far forward and automatically take a step to steady yourself? Try using that in your jogging. Lean a bit from your hip and let your foot naturally move forward to keep you balanced. Know how little kids lean forward while running & you're convinced they're going to face plant but somehow they don't? This is what you're striving toward.

Darn those kids and their natural running & squatting abilities!!

3. After you've warmed up, pause the program and STRETCH for a few minutes. When you're done with your day's mission, stretch longer. I ice my shins after a run because I'm paranoid about the pain flaring up. So far, so good.

4. When you start jogging from a walk, the jog doesn't have to be faster than the walk. Seriously. My jog is the same pace as a brisk walk, but it's very slowly getting faster as my body adapts to what I'm asking it to do. No matter how slow the jog, your body has to adapt to a whole new set of stresses and impacts. It's not just about being able to breathe and moving your muscles; everything from your bones to tendons needs time to get stronger to meet this new demand, which is why

5. REST after your training mission. Cross-train and do something else the next day while your body recovers, as long as it isn't more running. Go for a walk, swim, cycle, take an aerobics class or pop in a dvd. Just because it's "a day off" it doesn't mean sit at home doing nothing.

TL:DR...Shoes, relax, run like a kid, stretch, jog not run, rest days
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Another vote for z25k. I did my 1st 5k today using the app and it was so fun!