Getting out of your head!

Options
milesvictors
milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
I've been having troubles with my barefoot running recently. I always seemed to blister on my left foot and it seemed like whenever I would try to pay more attention to that foot or that form it would get worse! I figured I must be running un-naturally by focusing SO MUCH on my form that it was causing more harm than good, so I decided to just forget about it. Just to run.

Rocked my barefoot run today! I decided to loosen up, only pay attention to my posture and keeping my head up, but just let my legs and feet do what they want and to just run at a good quick pace (not the standard barefoot "run-in-place" feeling). No blisters! No pain! I think I may have figured it out! And I ran faster than my shod pace! Hurrah! If you are having similar problems, give it a shot!

Replies

• milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just an update, I ran a mile today and ended up rocking a 7:50 min mile, a full 30 seconds faster than my shod mile. I feel like I'm flying! I just had to get out of my head!
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I remember when it 'clicked' for me, and it was such a joyous thing. I was never able to do more than 3 miles barefoot, but then one run it just happened and then I was able to go further without blisters or hot spots. Today I just completed my first barefoot half and I'm psyched.

Enjoy your new found freedom!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I remember when it 'clicked' for me, and it was such a joyous thing. I was never able to do more than 3 miles barefoot, but then one run it just happened and then I was able to go further without blisters or hot spots. Today I just completed my first barefoot half and I'm psyched.

Enjoy your new found freedom!

This is really motivating to hear. As as soon as the snow melts I want to gradually start increasing distance as well!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Rocked my barefoot run today! I decided to loosen up, only pay attention to my posture and keeping my head up, but just let my legs and feet do what they want and to just run at a good quick pace (not the standard barefoot "run-in-place" feeling). No blisters! No pain! I think I may have figured it out! And I ran faster than my shod pace! Hurrah! If you are having similar problems, give it a shot!

Thanks for the form tips!

I have yet to try to run a long distance after getting some blisters on shorter runs. As soon as the snow melts I will get out there and keep trying!