1st week

Options
BobbyDaniel
BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
I think it was last Wednesday I decided to kick the dairy since that was the only part of my diet that was keeping me from eating vegan, and to be truthful, it was really only Greek yogurt and the chocolate/dairy in the protein bars I usually ate each day after my workout. Surprisingly, this has been a relatively easy transition, except for the need to pour over the ingredient labels a lot more closely; for example, didn't realize that whole wheat english muffins had dairy, no biggie, you live and learn. I'm also working on getting the amount of sugar I take in each day down. Looking forward to see how well this works for me in the long run!

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think it was last Wednesday I decided to kick the dairy since that was the only part of my diet that was keeping me from eating vegan, and to be truthful, it was really only Greek yogurt and the chocolate/dairy in the protein bars I usually ate each day after my workout.

congrats!!! if u want a new vegan protein bar to choose, check out Clif Builder's Bar. vegan, and 20 g protein...keep me full for hours.

and the brand Whole Soy & Co. make a mean "plain unsweet" greek style soy yog that you'd SWEAR is the real deal :) buy it at whole foods
  • BobbyDaniel
    Options
    Thanks, I'll be looking into those! Right now I'm trying to shy away from as much processed stuff as possible, but that will be good to know later on when I need some quick, go to snacks!
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I will vouch for the clif bars too. They are addictive though, so maybe don't! They are super yum! The builder bars are my fav for sure.
    Keep looking for your english muffins. Another brand may make them without the dairy. I know I've eaten them in the past and there was no dairy. Good luck!
  • TwiistedTwiin
    TwiistedTwiin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Larabars are good too, not every variety is vegan though. I like the cherry, lime, and lemon....dates are the main ingredient so they tend to be sweet...
    Congratulations on going vegan :flowerforyou:
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Pouring over ingredients is a bummer...I'm the same way, but I try to eat stuff that has not as many ingredients and all things I can pronounce so that makes it a bit easier... Also, on many foods is a small K which stands for Kosher and if it doesn't have a D for dairy then it will be good. I'm not explaining it very well, but if you google "what does the K mean on foods" it makes more sense. I have found that helpful when looking for things like cereals and granola bars. I spot the D and then just put it down...Kashi makes several cereals and granola bars that are vegan, but also some with dairy, so that's good to know. (Maybe some longtime vegans can explain that trick better than I...

I have loved being dairy/egg free and intend to remain so! :)

I love starting the day with a protein shake. I have been using Amazing Meal and find it good with a banana and ice (mixed with water). Just in case you also need a protein recommendation...

Enjoy your dairy-free eating! :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    Options
    And today marks the beginning of week 2, feeling good about this decision and so far so good!
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel makes vegan whole wheat english muffins! They're really good!
  • kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    Hope it's still working out for you!