Back again, cheers Quetiapine ;)

Options
Hi,

I have posted here before and lost quite a bit of weight last year, I certainly was not svelte at the end, but I did feel much better about my appearance.

I have taken Quetiapine for almost a year, but until recently took it at night before bed, so haven't had any problems with eating and weight gain.

However, a few months ago I was given more to take first thing in the morning and I have just not stopped eating :( It's like having the munchies all the time and I'm never satiated, whether the snacks are healthy and wholesome or junk.

I would like to stop taking this medication in the mornings, but I feel my Psychiatrist will not approve as I'm only just out of a rough 18 months.

I feel shallow bringing it up with my Dr and when I mentioned how much had gained to a different Dr several years ago, he snapped 'well, it's better than being dead isn't is?' - he of course, was thin and in a nice suit. :grumble:

I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow for the first time in ages and I'm back here again. Yay!

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I love it when doctors are sympathetic! Grr

Good luck and keep going.
  • sparkleponyprincess
    Options
    Seroquel was an amazing drug for me, mental-health wise. The biggest thing was that it made me sleep-- 45 minutes on the dot after I took it, I was out like a light, which was wonderful.

But I struggled with the same eating issues you mentioned here. I would wake up in the morning, and I could eat three bowls of cereal and be absolutely RAVENOUS. All I could think about was food, in a weird obsessive sort of way. But it kept me sane, so I just sucked it up and dealt with it.

Finally, after fighting really hard to lose the same 10lb over and over again, and ending up on BP meds and CPAP, I finally broke down to my pdoc and asked if I could try something else. I felt like I was trading mental stability-- which I have to work really hard for-- for something stupid like vanity... but he told me that with these other health issues, it's a valid concern.

So now I'm off the Seroquel and into week 2 of Topomax, and scared to death of the brain fog. (I have a very intellectual job, if I can't think I'm screwed.) I'm fairly queasy and can't eat much, and the food obsession has gone away, so I guess that's a good thing, and it's reassuing that the weird food stuff was more than likely related to the Seroquel.

Anyway, it downright sucks, but hang in there! I'm rooting for you!!