Modify SL program due to injury

Options
zumbajheri
zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
Hey lovely ladies!!

So I haven't lifted since Wednesday when I hurt myself doing OHP. I did Zumba Thursday thinking I might loosen it up, that seemed to help a bit, but now I know it's a significant muscle pull/tear, doesn't make me wanna cry so I don't think I need a Dr.

The regular boards have a ton of info on working around injuries, but nothing specific to our program. I need to workout today, don't wanna lose my progress although I know with OHP, that is inevitable. What kind of lifting workout can I do? Can I still do parts of SL? Thanks in advance my strong homegirls Xo Jheri

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Stick with maybe squats for a week and slowly rehab your shoulders starting with light dumbbells would be my suggestion. Depending on the severity of the strain/sprain/tear you should be able to do very, very light weights. Look into shoulder rehab exercises. It's what I would do. Stronglifts can wait. You need your shoulder to be well more than you need to lift heavier by next week or whatever. And you do use your shoulders doing deadlifts, bench presses and rows, so squats are the only thing I can think of that are safe for you to do right now because you basically only use your shoulders to stabilize the bar.

I strained my front abs, and so now I'm doing Pilates to rehab them, and also wearing a belt for the heavier lifts. It's okay to back off on Stronglifts until you're healed up. I definitely wouldn't risk making it worse. When you restart SL once you're better, just deload to where you're comfortable and work your way back up. It won't take long, and as long as you learned your limits from this episode, you should be just fine. And if your shoulders are your weak spot, then do a major deload on OHPs and work your way up very, very gradually, including fractionals. That's far better than straining at too much weight trying to get that bar up in the air and risking injury all over again. Usually if you've torn something once, you kinda have to baby it from then on out because it'll be more prone to tear again than a muscle that hasn't been torn before. At least that's what I've read from obsessively reading up on strain/tear rehab workouts after I hurt my tum tum. :smile:
  • zumbajheri
    Options
    Thanks Dani, this was very helpful. :flowerforyou: I was thinking squats was all I could do, so I appreciate your input. Off to gym to squat and do boring stuff after that lol
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dani, this was very helpful. :flowerforyou: I was thinking squats was all I could do, so I appreciate your input. Off to gym to squat and do boring stuff after that lol

It happens. If my back doesn't quit *****ing at me (again! sigh), I'll have to take a longer break from lifting than just my normal 2 days. Not happy about that, but what you gonna do?

That's right. Heal first. That's what you gonna do. :laugh:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Dani said.

After spraining my back, DL’s and rows have pretty much been off limits to me the last couple of weeks. Only a week to go. I’ve backed off the weight on my squats, tho, and that’s helped, and bench press isn’t hurting me at all, but it’s my lower back, not upper or shoulder.

I hope you feel better soon. It’s frustrating to know you want to but physically aren’t able to at the moment. :flowerforyou:
  • zumbajheri
    Options
    How long have you been totally off DLs and rows Julie?

Yes Dani... Healing is all i can do lol

I figure I can still cut weight doing aerobics, just not gonna lift my left arm lol I still have a bunch of belly flab to burn.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Yeah all that - look for some shoulder rehab stuff online. I can't think where it was, off the top of my head, but it should be something along the lines of VERY light weights (pink weights even!) and high rep work with smallish single joint movements. It was all centered around gently working the joints and tendons without strain.
  • zumbajheri
    Options
    Thank you Tameko! Will do this ^ big thanks y'all, Jheri:drinker:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    How long have you been totally off DLs and rows Julie?

Yes Dani... Healing is all i can do lol

I figure I can still cut weight doing aerobics, just not gonna lift my left arm lol I still have a bunch of belly flab to burn.

My last DL was on 3/25, and rows sometime before that. I miss them, but I don't want to risk messing anything up until next week.