Sippy cups and water?

Options
Pepper2185
Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
My son is 6 months old and started eating solids.

My aunt (who I totally trust for baby advice) suggested I give my son a sippy cup with water in it to A) teach him how to use the cup, and B) help prevent constipation from the new foods.

Does this make sense? When did you give your children sippy cups? Is water a good idea? (I'm breastfeeding if that makes a difference).

Curious to hear what you have done!

Replies

• KariAnn_09
    Options
    My son is 7 months now and I just started giving him a sippy cup about two weeks ago. He has never been constipated from the foods we feed him (only veggies and whole grains so far) but he started showing a lot of interest in our cups. I gave him a washed out Starbucks cup to hold and he put it right to his mouth and cried when nothing came out. This was my que to give him the sippy!

At his 6 month check up, I was told by his doctor not to give him water just yet, but he just seemed ready to start learning to use a cup and I certainly wasn't going to put milk in it since most of the water ends up on his shirt. I only give him about an ounce at a time. He toroughly enjoys it too!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Jaxon will be 4 months in 4 days so I'm not really thinking about all that but he is getting curious about my drinks/food to the point where he's brought my drink to his mouth and has grabbed my food after watching it go bsck and forth from plate to mouth. Also, there are only certain times he will let me hold him while giving him a bottle, most of the time he wants to be propped up for me to feed him and I dont really know what thats all about, has anyone experienced this this early? He tries but doesn't hold his own bottle tet. Anyway, I actually came aross a 4 month+ sippy cup (Nuk brand) on Amazon and thought that was interesting. Kind of makes me want to get it or at least do some research on giving him one this young.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of people tell me that at around 7-8 month mark they start their kids on sippy cups in fact the guy I work with has been giving his daughter half formula and half milk since around 9 months in a sippy cup. When I had my first child I didn't start sippy cups until he was a year old. On his first birthday I took the bottle away and handed him a sippy cup and that was it he took to it right away. If they are showing interest I don't think it would be harmful to let them hold and play with an empty sippy cup to let them get used to it if you do not want them to have water. If they eat formula water shouldn' t be too big of a deal since that is what you mix the formula with. My daughter is 4 months and she already holds her bottle for small amounts of time so when she gets older I will let her play with a sippy cup because it will make the transition that much easier when its time. Although I do not plan to give her any dairy until a year old I did that with my son. That is probably why the guy I work with daughter is in a 2T and just turned 1 today his wife concerns me with her choices. My son is 9 and he survived not having dairy till 1 year old.

MrsCarter -- My son was the same way sometimes I thinks its a boy thing he did not like to be held while eating either from the time he was 3 months on. No need to worry mine didn't like to be held either until he was around 3. Now he is 9 and I can't get him from trying to lay all over me and he has been like that since 3. Now my daughter loves being held.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I waited til the year mark to introduce sippy cups, but my Mom (and other older generation ladies) have told me many times to give my babies bottles of water. Apparently, it was something they did when we were children and helps with constipation/tummy issues. Also helps if baby has a cough/sore throat. I do it very RARELY, but have tried it when the girlies have been sick. I'd as your doctor, but I don't think it could hurt anything. Good luck!
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My pediatrician advised us against giving any water to our daughter before the age of 1. I waited until my daughter was 11-12 months old before introducing a sippy cup since we were breastfeeding and I didn't want her to wean too soon. We never had a problem with constipation from new foods, I always made sure she had plenty of fiber in her diet though.
  • CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I waited until a year with my first and will do the same with my second with water. My first was interested in a sippy cup at about the 7-8month mark. I put some breast milk in it and he was happy.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    My dad and BIL are both pediatricians, and they said only breastmilk or formula to drink before age 1. (To be fair, I was annoyed at a sudden spike in formula prices right before my son's 1st birthday, so I asked my dad if I needed to go above and beyond looking for deals or if I could switch to whole milk. Since we had less than three weeks to go before my son turned 1, my dad said that I was fine to finish out what formula I had and then give him milk.) There's just no reason to give them plain water.

Constipation never became a real issue for us until my son was eating "non-baby" food. In other words, when he was still eating purees, puffs, and toddler meals, it was never a major problem. Now that he eats whatever we eat (he turned 2 in January), I either have to give him Miralax every other day, or I give him pear juice mixed with water. Occasionally when he was between 1 and 2 and a little backed up, I'd mix prune juice and water and give it to him.

As for sippy cups, I tried a couple of them with my son around 6 months, but he had no interest. I got lazy and didn't try again until his first birthday approached, but by then he wanted nothing to do with them! It was a major struggle, and I think I have at least one of every sippy cup ever made, but straw cups (and only certain ones) ended up getting him off the bottle. Then when those got too slow to drink from, he got sippy cups and was much less picky about what he liked (oddly enough, he liked the cheap ones best). If we went out to eat, he could drink out of a straw, but we would only let him do that if the cup was not crushable. Late last year all the kids in his class had moved to regular cups except him, which was a little embarrassing because he's the oldest kid in his class. I told his teachers that he was slow to accept a straw cup or a sippy cup and that one day he'd just up and decide he was ready for a regular cup, and that is exactly what happened. He decided one morning that he wanted my milk out of a glass, and from there on out he's been happy to drink from a regular cup and does it all the time.

This time I think I will be more persistent about trying sippy cups earlier so that I'm not stressing about having a child who still uses the bottle past age 1. Plus they are (usually) easier to clean than bottles :)

ETA that if you mix up your son's solid foods enough, he should be fine with pooping. Peaches, pears, and plums/prunes will make him "go." Apples and bananas will solidify loose stools. As long as you're feeding him a good balance of foods, he'll be fine. Sometimes they get backed up from time to time for no good reason, and nothing you do helps, so you just have to suck it up and use a suppository. I used adult glycerin ones cut in half, but my dad suggested the liquid ones. Fleet makes them, and at some places (like my supermarket) I have to ask at the pharmacy for them, but CVS has them out on the shelf. CVS also makes a generic one. I found the liquid ones work much, much better and actually go where they're supposed to go, plus they are super easy to use. You can also stick a Q-tip in some regular Vaseline and just put it in a tiny bit - don't shove it up there or anything. It's no fun to do, but the Q-tip trick or the suppository sometimes work super fast (usually within a half an hour) but sometimes instantly - so be sure to have a new diaper handy!!!
  • graycalico
    graycalico Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    it's a little early for a sippy cup. Even solid food is just practice before age 1. And too much water is actually really bad, some babies get water poisoning. If you really want to do a cup you can put breast milk or formula in it.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What on earth is water poisoning? Anyway, I do give water sippy cups at meal times when they are starting to eat foods with us at the table. The age that occurs at is different with each child. It was a nice no pressure way to get them used to using a sippy cup. We don't really do bottles. I have nursed them till about a year (my twins are 14 months and still going, but will be done before a 1 1/2.) Also we do water sippy cups when we are outside on hot days. If I am at the zoo for 6 hours with little ones, I don't mind nursing 2-3 times, but if they are thirsty every hour why shouldn't they drink some water.
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    I think I'm fine with him having a sippy cup - he grabs my travel mug and tries to drink out of it (it's how I drink my water). I just don't really understand why I would give him water when I could give him breastmilk. Breastmilk would hydrate the same as water, plus he would get the added nutrition, right?

Plus, if he's constipated, he could always have some prunes or some pears or something to encourage things along. I don't think he's having a problem with it at this point.

I'll see what his doctor says next week, too.

Thanks for the replies, you mommies are awesome :flowerforyou:
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    Jaxon will be 4 months in 4 days so I'm not really thinking about all that but he is getting curious about my drinks/food to the point where he's brought my drink to his mouth and has grabbed my food after watching it go bsck and forth from plate to mouth. Also, there are only certain times he will let me hold him while giving him a bottle, most of the time he wants to be propped up for me to feed him and I dont really know what thats all about, has anyone experienced this this early? He tries but doesn't hold his own bottle tet. Anyway, I actually came aross a 4 month+ sippy cup (Nuk brand) on Amazon and thought that was interesting. Kind of makes me want to get it or at least do some research on giving him one this young.

Max was really interested in food just before he turned 5 months. If someone gave him a bottle he also wanted to hold it and sit up. My MIL kept saying he was ready for solids or a bottle of rice but I still waited until 6 months (partly because I don't like her telling me what to do, haha). When he did start eating solids though, he ate like a champ! He was ready and excited about it.

If Jaxon wanted to use the cup, I'd probably let him if he could sit up and figure out the mechanics of it. Especially if he was only drinking breastmilk/formula out of it. He's a smart cookie :)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    What on earth is water poisoning?

You can, even as an adult, overdo it on water. Obviously for an adult it takes a lot more, but for a baby it would be a lot easier to go overboard. I think it's typically called "water intoxication."

This is from St. Louis Children's Hospital - a very well respected, nationally-recognized children's hospital: http://www.stlouischildrens.org/articles/wellness/water-intoxication-in-infants

"Water Intoxication in Infants

"For healthy adults, nothing seems to quench a thirst better than plain, pure water. We're encouraged to drink several glasses a day to keep our systems in balance. But for children under 1 year old – and especially during the first nine months of life – drinking too much water can be dangerous.

"In fact, according to pediatricians like James P. Keating, MD, medical director of the St. Louis Children's Hospital Diagnostic Center, too much water dilutes a baby's normal sodium levels and can lead to seizures, coma, brain damage and death.

"Breast milk or formula provides all the fluid healthy babies need. If a mother feels her baby needs to take additional water, it should be limited to two to three ounces at a time and should be offered only after the baby has satisfied his hunger with breast feeding or formula.

"Dr. Keating also recommends that parents avoid participating in infant swimming lessons. "Repeated dunking of infants can cause them to gulp water and has caused seizures in the infants at the poolside," he says.

"Since the brain is the organ most susceptible to water intoxication, a change of behavior is usually the first symptom in older children. They may become confused, drowsy or inattentive. They also may suffer from blurred vision, muscle cramps and twitching, poor coordination, nausea and vomiting, irregular breathing and weakness. If you notice any of these symptoms, call your pediatrician."

Edited to include the text of the link I provided.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Oh. I have always heard it called hyponatremia. I could definitely see how a little body could suffer from that quicker than a larger body. However, I seriously doubt a few sips at the dinner table would cause that. Breastmilk really is the best most complete liquid/food for babies. My reasoning for giving a sippy cup early is so there is not a point where they have to be able to use it and not know how. If you don't want to give it early there is no true need. It is a preference thing. I liked it not being a big deal when mine started using the sippy cup more and nursing less around a year.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Devon has been using the Nuk sippy cup with the handles on each side since he was about 4 1/2 months old, but only gets breastmilk in it. I will just continue this, even though he just started eating food. I don't see a need for water; breastmilk is best and I have plenty of it. :) To each their own - less guilt, more love!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Oh. I have always heard it called hyponatremia. I could definitely see how a little body could suffer from that quicker than a larger body. However, I seriously doubt a few sips at the dinner table would cause that. Breastmilk really is the best most complete liquid/food for babies. My reasoning for giving a sippy cup early is so there is not a point where they have to be able to use it and not know how. If you don't want to give it early there is no true need. It is a preference thing. I liked it not being a big deal when mine started using the sippy cup more and nursing less around a year.
    '

A few sips here and there is totally fine, I'm sure!
  • bonkers4mydogs
    bonkers4mydogs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    At around 6 months I started introducing my daughter to a sippy cup with water. There are cups specifically designed for babies around this age that have soft nipple-like tops which makes it easier for them to learn to transition from the bottle to the cup. At first she didnt get much water out of it but she did really enjoy mouthing the soft top. Now she is 9 months and loves her sippy cup with water. Fortunately I dont think we are going to have any trouble transitioning off the bottle when the time comes.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Wow my little guy is quite content to let me hold that bottle for him and do most the work! haha My younger son was lazy as well. I actually had a really hard time getting him to take his bottle and use sippy cups on his own. He didn't really get into them until he was a year. But, I planned to give Jayce one around 5 or 6 months just to test it out. Maybe I'll get lucky this time.
  • RBXChas
    Options

My son decided around 4 months that he didn't like to take a bottle lying down, so what I'd do is sit him on my lap facing out, and I'd hold the bottle for him. At first it was a little weird, but we got used to it, and he liked it because he could eat and watch everything else that was going on. It gave my arms a welcome break, and when he got a little bigger, it was good practice for him to get used to holding the bottle himself.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Niki & Rebecca - Thanks for your replies!! I have tried holding him outward as well but he still doesn't have it! I've found a way, I will sit on the couch and lay him next to me with his legs going up the back of the couch and his head on my leg or on a pillow and he loves it! And its comfortable for both of us, he sometimes naps that way too and its easy for me to get up if I need to lol

As far as the sippy cup goes, I bought him an Avent one, its 4mo+. He has used it a couple times and a couple times he's wanted nothing to do with it so we will keep introducing it to him slowly (with only formula of course) he still tries to hold his bottle - not successfully just yet - but he's getting there.