rachietuk
rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
I will be starting Stronglifts tomorrow. Since January I have been following New Rules Of Lifting for Women, but I am unhappy the length of time the workouts are taking. I need to be able to workout in the mornings so I have time to do all the family things I want and need to do. I also need to still be able to throw in some cardio a few times a week.

My husband started stronglifts in January, he has great results. We have everything we need at home so I am going to give it a go.

I am really looking forward to starting.

I have been doing squats and deadlifts already, so my question is what weight should I start for these? The weight I was lifting, a % below, or just the bar?

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Hey, welcome!

The answer to your question can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

I'd stick with the recommended starting weights, because the progression is pretty rapid and you don't want to start too heavy, too soon, and stall yourself out early. Better to start low and go from there. You'll be increasing weight quickly anyway.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Welcome to the group! I've been loving stronglifts, and several of the girls lift with their husbands/partners.

As for starting weights, the summary suggests starting with either the empty bar or 50% of your 5 rep max. It's mostly going to depend on if you feel you have good form or not. You *might* want to deload and start from the bar and ensure that you have your form right. If you feel you are having good form and are doing well with the lifts, then maybe the 50% of your 5 rep max would be better. Either way, it's going to get heavy pretty quickly, so don't think you can just pick up where you left off previously.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Welcome to the SL program!

I was in a similar situation when I started 6 weeks ago. I didn't want to start at the bar for anything other than OHP. I did drop down a bit to start. Where you start can depend on a few things like what you are currently lifting and what form you have. If you are not going parallel on the squats it would be better to drop the weight just to get used to that first. I found that the lower squat can work muscles you don't get with an above-parallel squat.

I posted a similar thread when I first started and the consensus was to go low because you will add quickly and it will give you time to work on form before working with the heavier weights.

Just for reference here is where I was and where I started SL

Squat: pre - 135 / start - 75
    Bench: 95 / 65
    Row: didn't do pendlay rows, but around 95 / 65
    OHP: --/45 (bar)
    Deadlifts --/ 75 (but I did start to increase by 10 instead of 5 at first)
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Thank you. I was thinking of starting with just the bar, I just wanted some expericneced advice.
  • Hello Everyone I am new as well. Starting Stronglifts Wednesday April 10/13 I can hardly wait! Hi rachietuk :) I am starting with just the bar for now until I can ensure my form is good.