Weather

Options
EdTheGinge
EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
Right, here's a question for you. I've always wondered what people's views are on our ever changing weather and the effect it has on your running. If you had to choose one of the following to run it which would it be and why:

Rain
Wind
Snow
Soaring heat

Personally I'd choose rain everyday of the week, I just find it so very refreshing when running and takes my mind off what I'm doing.

Replies

• j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the group suggestion! I think I'd choose snow most days. I used to detest cold weather running, but with the right gear I've found that I LOVE it. The quantity of oxygen my body is able to pull out of the air seems consistently higher on winter runs and the snow can be beautiful. The heat and especially humidity seems to really mess with me, as does the wind.

I do, however love to run in a nice gentle rain as long as my eyes are protected and I'm not using expensive gear. In fact, my best run ever was in a thunderstorm with pounding rain... I think it may have had something to do with getting home before being struck by lightening?
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'd take soaring heat always.

If there's snow I'm not going outside. I'm basically a cold blooded person, even after running a 5k I'm not warmed up yet if it's below 10C (50F). If there's more than 2 Beaufort wind I need to cover my ears to prevent a brain freeze from occurring for the duration of the run.
    Rain I just don't like.

---
    Looking at that text I'm not sure why I'm a runner, I don't like the outdoors much, nor does it like me ;)
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Definitely rain! There is just something about it that makes the run SO liberating!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I really like cold weather running on a clear day. I run my fastest between 15-45 degrees, which was a surprise to me at first since I have asthma. Snow, wind and ice I can do without. Next to cold I really enjoy running in a nice steady rain on a 70+ degree day. Makes me feel connected with my surroundings and keeps me from getting too hot. I don't like to be hot when I run.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm I've never ran in the snow, have had heat stroke a couple of times, like climbing hills but hate doing it with a head wind so I guess I would have to say the rain :D
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Wind has got to be the worst - hate it, hate it, hate it. I enjoy running in the rain but it can be hard getting out the door, especially if its cold. Never had the opportunity to run in the snow! Searing heat is hard, done a fair few recently and it's incredibly draining - lots and lots of water required.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well today was my first time running in the heat..84 degrees.MISERABLE!!! Have you ever seen the motivational poster that says something along the lines of Worked out and regretted said no one ever...WELL I REGRET THAT WORK OUT!!! there I said it
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I choose the treadmill for all of those. I don't like nature, I don't like being outdoors, I don't care I the air is "fresh" (or filled with exhaust, diesel fumes or cigarette smoke from passing cars-whatever). I don't mind the treadmill at all. I run outside when the weather doesn't suck. I'd pick wind from your list though. Well-wind up to the range where it's blowing garbage cans and debris all over and all the sand on the roads blows into my eyes and mouth - then that's out as well. I don't like being outside in any kind of precipitation. And heat just sucks. See-I just don't do nature.
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think, of the four, snow has the least impact, unless there are several inches of it on the road. If it's just falling, it's no big deal, it's just pretty!
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So today I ran for an hour in 44*F, rain, wind. Wore lined rain/wind pants, a lightweight longsleeved wicking baselayer, microfiber wind/rain jacket, gloves, knit hat. After 10 minutes, peeled off the gloves. Five more minutes and I unzipped the jacket. Twenty minutes and I realized I was totally overdressed.... by end of run, my sweat had totally negated any rain-repellent benefit of the jacket and pants!
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sorry I laughed at that Ellie! Here I am complaining about heat and you have cold and still sweating! Oh I am not sure which is worse!!!!!!
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Soaring heat, I run and feel much better in warmer temps. Very hard for me to run outside in cold temps and running against the wind can also be very challenging. Rain is not so bad if it is warm out but a cold rain, brrr!!