Yay! 1st day am I doing this right?

dafoots0911
dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
I started SL's today and I did:

Squats 45lbs 5x5
Bench Press 45lbs 5x5
Barbell Row 45lbs 5x5

It took me 30 minutes including warmup. I took only 30 to 45 seconds between sets. It was pretty easy, which I know it will get harder as I move up in weight but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly and if I move the weights up 2.5lbs each workout or 5lbs? I am looking so forward to posting my results.

Replies

• Congratulations on starting SL!!

Move up 5 lbs per workout (2.5 on each end of barbell), unless you start having a lot of trouble with a lift and want to try fractionals. Since you said those felt pretty easy I'd go with five.

You'll definitely have to rest more as the weights go up!

My advice is, don't forget to only do 1 set of 5 for deadlifts! I definitely did 5x5 a few times, luckily at really low weights so I didn't hurt myself. Durr.

Happy lifting:happy:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Have you downloaded the Strong Lifts App? It's great for keeping up with which workout (A or B) you are on and how much weight per set. It automatically updates the weights for you and even times your rest periods. Pretty convenient.

I did my fourth session yesterday. So far, so good but I can't wait to get to the type of weights that are really going to make a difference to my body.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Yay! Right back atchya!! :bigsmile: You did it!! Hope you really enjoy Stronglifts!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Hm. Is that an iPhone app? Not on android I use lifting buddy, doesn't time breaks but does everything else :-)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Congratulations on your first day :drinker:
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Congratulations with your first day. I started last week with SL and I´m already addicted. If you find it easy doing 45 lbs, you will have a lot of fun. I still struggle, especially on the overhead press (B) I had to go down to 33 pounds (15 kg.) You´re doing fine!! :smile:

A question for the girls: why is it that we only do 1x5 on deadlifts? I did 5x5 the other day just for fun, and it was not a problem. Is it only when it becomes heavier, I have to be more careful? (Started out easy with 66.1 pounds (30 kg.))
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    A question for the girls: why is it that we only do 1x5 on deadlifts? I did 5x5 the other day just for fun, and it was not a problem. Is it only when it becomes heavier, I have to be more careful? (Started out easy with 66.1 pounds (30 kg.))

My understanding from the SL literature is that the deadlift is similar to the squat so 5 sets is unnecessary. Once the weight gets higher and the lift becomes more difficult, 1 set will feel like enough especially with having already done squats.

:drinker:
    Congrats on your first day!!
  • dafoots0911
    Have you downloaded the Strong Lifts App? It's great for keeping up with which workout (A or B) you are on and how much weight per set. It automatically updates the weights for you and even times your rest periods. Pretty convenient.

I did my fourth session yesterday. So far, so good but I can't wait to get to the type of weights that are really going to make a difference to my body.
    Haven't invested in a smart phone yet. Waiting for contract to end cause there's gotta be better deals than vz. I am still kinda old school and write it all down. I'm working on upgrading. I just started texting last year...lol.
  • dafoots0911
    Thank you all for your welcome. I'm looking forward for some serious gains...and losses in inches.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Congratulations with your first day. I started last week with SL and I´m already addicted. If you find it easy doing 45 lbs, you will have a lot of fun. I still struggle, especially on the overhead press (B) I had to go down to 33 pounds (15 kg.) You´re doing fine!! :smile:

A question for the girls: why is it that we only do 1x5 on deadlifts? I did 5x5 the other day just for fun, and it was not a problem. Is it only when it becomes heavier, I have to be more careful? (Started out easy with 66.1 pounds (30 kg.)

Deadlifts are very taxing on the system, and 1x5 is very effective. If you're going to do 5x5, the usual recommendation is to switch to a less taxing variant like the stiff legged version. 66 pounds is a very low deadlift weight, so you can get away with more right now, but not for long, for sure. You count just one rep as a "set" because technically, putting the bar/weights down and standing up or walking away for a moment counts as a full reset. Nobody does the regular deadlifts back to back to back without stopping because you're supposed to be lifting from a "dead stop", each time. That's what makes them "dead lifts". The recommended start weight for the guys is 95 lbs so you're 30 lbs below that right now. Which is fine if that's all you can lift right now ... just saying. Maybe up the weights some next time (to as high as you can safely do it) and just do the 1x5 and see where that gets you.

And 33 lbs on the OHP is fine. I started mine with dumbbells. 'sokay. :flowerforyou:
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Thank you. And I´m sorry OP, if I hijacked your thread. :flowerforyou:
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    ... You count just one rep as a "set" because technically, putting the bar/weights down and standing up or walking away for a moment counts as a full reset. Nobody does the regular deadlifts back to back to back without stopping because you're supposed to be lifting from a "dead stop", each time. That's what makes them "dead lifts". The recommended start weight for the guys is 95 lbs so you're 30 lbs below that right now. Which is fine if that's all you can lift right now ... just saying. Maybe up the weights some next time (to as high as you can safely do it) and just do the 1x5 and see where that gets you.

Dani, I just wanted to clarify something. The above sounded like you are talking about 5 sets of 1 rep. In Stronglifts you're s'posed to do 1 set of 5 reps.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Welcome and congrats !!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Dani, I just wanted to clarify something. The above sounded like you are talking about 5 sets of 1 rep. In Stronglifts you're s'posed to do 1 set of 5 reps.

You still have to reset the bar, so ... it's still "technically" 5x1 and not a "true" 1x5 wherein you never set the bar down such as with squats, OHP and so forth to complete a set. The way I understand it, a set is over when the bar is fully supported by something other than your body (i.e. when you rack it or set it down someplace). Unless in SL5x5 you don't actually set the bar all the way down after a DL rep?

I'm splitting hairs here, really. In Starting Strength they call them 1x5 deadlifts also. But, you still have to reset the bar before each rep and so there you go. That's why I keep saying "technically". :smile:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member

Haven't invested in a smart phone yet. Waiting for contract to end cause there's gotta be better deals than vz. I am still kinda old school and write it all down. I'm working on upgrading. I just started texting last year...lol.

haha No worries, I haven't had mine for all that long either. You're going to love it when you finally do.
  • linski24
    linski24 Posts: 155 Member
    Oh I never walk away between reps of deadlifts .... Maybe this is where I'm going wrong when I hurt my back .. I lifted then set to floor abd then after a couple of breaths without standing up as I'm still holding the bar I do my next rep ... Maybe I should do them differently ..!!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Oh I never walk away between reps of deadlifts .... Maybe this is where I'm going wrong when I hurt my back .. I lifted then set to floor abd then after a couple of breaths without standing up as I'm still holding the bar I do my next rep ... Maybe I should do them differently ..!!

I take a few moments to reset my posture between each rep, but that's about it.