Prepping for Monday

Options
kelr0110
kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
Thankfully i have a Whole Foods AND a Fresh Market nearby, so went scouting Whole Foods last night. I picked up Coconut Oil and some rooibos teas in initial preparation for a start point next Monday. I imagine chicken sausages were okay - they were all ingredients i could read - it was just some spices and chicken....pretty psyched to find those for a quick fix with some peppers when i don't have time to make a feast :)

At first I was nervous, i still am a bit, but going there inspired me and even made me a bit excited lol. So i would advise anyone if they're a newbie like me to go scope the stores beforehand. Now i can start planning some menus now that I have kind of mentally noted everything available.

To the veterans I ask - what worked for you? PLanning meals one week at a time? Winging it? Planning the whole month of meals and trying to stick to it?

I'm thinking one week or a few days at a time......thanks for your input :)

Replies

• LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Planning a week at a time and actual prepping for a few days at a time has helpe me tremendously. Focusing on one main protein (chicken or beef) for my lunches & dinner has been pretty easy to prep on the weekend so I can grab & go through the week. I keep veggies cleaned & chopped in the fridge and have made "egg muffins" with chicken sausage & peppers for breakfast (heat & eat). Keeping a few sweet potatoes baked & ready to eat helps me too. Good luck!!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals for a week at a time. I don't plan each day individually, I just make a menu with 5-7 meals that are big enough for lunches as well. I make as much food as I can over the weekend. For example, this week I used my crockpots to make shredded buffalo chicken and shredded beef roast. I also hard boiled 15 eggs and made double batches of mayo and ranch. I cut fresh veggies for dipping in ranch and I made a huge meatloaf on Sunday night. So, we have lunches and dinners for most days this week. I have things like brats & pork chops in the fridge for nights that I have time to cook.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    To the veterans I ask - what worked for you? PLanning meals one week at a time? Winging it? Planning the whole month of meals and trying to stick to it?

Plan ahead!!!! I try to cook 3+ days worth of food on Sunday and then plan to cook again Wed. I'm a couple days behind but tonight I'm making those turkey sliders I sent you the recipe for and will find a chili to make as well for the rest of the week because it's been rainy and gross...and it's going to snow IN APRIL!!! Anyway.....crock pot Wed is my FAVORITE.
  • kelr0110
    Options
    Excellent - thank you everyone. That's what I figured was a week would be good - but some people are that organized to be able to plan a month's worth lol.

I love the making a giant portion and eating it a few times idea. Also the mayo is going to be HUGEEEEEEE for me - didn't know you could make your own/have whole30 friendly stuff. Found recipes. Have to get my food processor i left at mom's and my crockpot is small but ill make it work.

YES! Thanks :)
  • kelr0110
    Options
    VEGETABLESSSSSS.....

like the meat chart - organic is best? "regular" is okay?

i didnt know if i need to get everything organic or not.

canned tomatoes, canned stuff - as long as there are no extra ingredients is what i'm gathering is best. i didnt even think of them but a local ad shows BOGO on canned tomatoes and i was like hm...

ive seen salsa mentioned - as long as no added crap, right?

Thanks - making last tweaks on my list. Will check ingredients :)
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    VEGETABLESSSSSS.....

like the meat chart - organic is best? "regular" is okay?

i didnt know if i need to get everything organic or not.

canned tomatoes, canned stuff - as long as there are no extra ingredients is what i'm gathering is best. i didnt even think of them but a local ad shows BOGO on canned tomatoes and i was like hm...

ive seen salsa mentioned - as long as no added crap, right?

Thanks - making last tweaks on my list. Will check ingredients :)

As far as veggies go, I get what I can from the farmers market and the rest I buy whatever is cheapest/freshest at the grocery store. I don't buy a lot of "organic" veggies at the grocery.

ETA: I do try to buy the canned organic tomatoes from Muir Glenn because they are BPA free, but only if the budget allows. Otherwise I just grab the store brand.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    A HUGE thank you to everyone that has been giving their expert advice!! :flowerforyou:

I'm super excited to take on this challenge and know that it will be one of the best things that I've ever done for myself! But on the other note, I'm fearful that I'm not nearly as prepared as I need to be and I'm only setting myself up to fail!! :sad: