Trinona (triathlon in Winona, MN)

Brittany3914
Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
Was 2013 the year you said you'd do a triathlon? I've got the perfect one for you :) Trinona! Located in beautiful bluff country of southeastern Minnesota!

JUNE 9, 2013

From their website:

"There are few places on this planet that are more perfectly suited to host a triathlon than Winona, Minnesota. With every stroke, pedal, and stride, you'll encounter incredible views and beautiful terrain. It will begin at dawn, as you set-up in transition in front of Lake Winona and look up to see Sugarloaf rising above the town below. But there is a price to pay for all this ambiance. The terrain that makes this race so inviting is the very same terrain that makes this event one of the most challenging triathlons in the Midwest. For those brave enough to take on the international course, athletes will be met with a surprise during the second half of their 40k bike leg — an ascent up Garvin Heights, a 1-mile climb that was a favorite of 3-time Tour De France Champion Greg Lemond. Note: the sprint course gets to avoid this nasty climb, but still gets some fun rolling hills.

Garvin Heights was recently featured as one of Bicycling Magazine’s “Top 100 Climbs” in the U.S. Once you ride it, you’ll know why. Your reward for taking up this challenge comes a few miles later with a thrilling, winding descent down the bluff towards the St. Mary’s University campus.

Following the bike leg, both sprint and international distance competitors will enjoy a fast and flat run around the beautiful Lake Winona bike path, in the shadow of Sugarloaf. The finish will take you back to the band shell, where a rock & roll soundtrack will be provided to help you cross the line with a little more giddyap.

Trinona features some of the best giveaways of any race in the Midwest. In past races, participants received a custom backpack, water bottle, T-shirt, custom finisher medal, Trinona swim cap, Clif bar product, Gu Energy Gel, Watkins lip balm and more! Each new year promises more giveaways from even more sponsors!"

Check it out!
http://www.trinona.com/page/show/241304-course

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Thanks for sharing! It looks like a great race. I still need to buy a new bike and some bike shoes. The Sprint Distance seems like a great option for my first Tri!

If I don't attempt a Tri this summer I should definitely go watch/volunteer at one. I really have no clue about the logistics of changing shoes, etc.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    This sounds great but I just realized its on the same day as the Mud Run I just signed up for. I still need to buy a new bike and improve my swimming skills anyway!

At some point I will attempt a Tri, beginning with the Sprint distance!