Powerful Doctor Who Moments

Options
soldier4242
soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
We have paid some attention to the plot holes and continuity errors and fruit of the conversation was basically that we acknowledge the existence of a few imperfections but the show is so great that it deserves our occasional forgiveness and I completely agree. Now I would like to shift our focus to why this show is so great that 9/10 British children can recognize a dalek. This is such a great show we have a group here on MFP dedicated to us the fans. Lets talk about the specific moments in Doctor Who that had a strong impact on you. Those powerful moments that made you laugh and/or cry and/or analyze yourself.

Now I am going to raise the bar here a little bit. Obviously you can post anything you want but I would like to see if you can step up a little bit here. Don't just mention the moment/scene/episode. Explain in your own words as best you can why it was significant. Don't be afraid to get a bit lengthy with the text. Really delve in to it. You might have some point of view that I or some other reader hadn't considered and I (at the very least) am interested.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....well having just watched Doomsday for the second time, I can say it was definitely rougher the second time around, and I cried and cried all by myself at my laptop. :tongue: Rose really loved The Doctor - I mean I think they all do to a certain extent, but Rose has been the only companion so far (at least in the newer series, I haven't watched the old classics yet) who was willing to stay with him forever, walking away from family, friends, everything, to be with him. And I think he loved her more, or in a different way that he did/does the others (except for River of course, at some point!), evidenced by how protective he was of Rose's sweatshirt in the next episode with Donna, snatching it from her and how he responded to Donna's accusations, how he thought of Rose during Donna's wedding reception when he was watching the people dance, etc.

Sorry, not real deep, and rather obvious observations I suppose, but having caught up to the current eps, and now going back to rewatch the seasons with 9th & 10th Doctors, I'm seeing more things in the eps than I did the first time around. :wink:
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Sadly I can't go into too much detail as I am recollecting a young girls (8) first ever Doctor. It was William Hartnell in 1963 and I think one of the later episodes was Invasion of the Daleks. As a young girl I was terrified of those Daleks, but it was always a badge of honour to say that you had to 'hide behind the sofa'. A catchphrase from the original Doctor Who series. From the re-booted series, there are so many wonderful moments, but without a doubt, for me, it is when the Doctor has to remove Donna's memories. Her knowledge that she had come so far, her friendship with the Doctor had grown, to know she was going to lose all that, was truly horrifying to see her go through.

But still I will always remember the Doctor's goodbye speech to his grandaughter, Susan.

One day, I shall come back. Yes,I shall come back. Until then there must be no tears, no regrets, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

The first Doctor. William Hartnell`s farewell speech to Susan

Something about that speech still resonates all these years later, it is just so comforting and uplifting...
  • tinchick
    tinchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well there are many moments in Doctor Who that I find powerful, but I'll just mention one for now.

It's the moment in "The Wedding of River Song" when the Silence are attacking and Madam Kovarian asks Amy to help her. Not only was Amy's speech really powerful, and made me cry a little, but it's the fact that she "kills" Madam Kovarian.

For me, it really solidified Amy as a character and a mother. I mean, right after Melody was taken away, Amy was obviously upset, but it never seemed like what happened really affected her deeply.....until that moment. I have heard a lot of criticism of Amy for killing Madam Kovarian because it is a cold thing to do and the Doctor wouldn't have done it, but for me, it made a lot of sense. If someone had taken my child away and then worse, hurt her, I would probably have the same reaction as Amy. Not to mention that although River eventually turns out fine, Madam Kovarian took away all of the experiences that come with motherhood for Amy and, like she says, she won't be able to get that time back.

As someone who is very protective of my family, this scene really got to me.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I agree that the best thing was for Amy to allow Madam Kovarian to die. Amy was in the unique position of knowing what the long term results of her actions where. She knew that her daughter was taken away and subjected to a lifetime of conditioning so that she could become a weapon. The psychological damage of something like that can have ramifications for years to come on not only river but also Rory and Amy. Then you take a mother who has seen all of this and put the life of the person responsible in her hands. I know it isn't what the doctor would do and that is why I am so glad he wasn't there in this case. Because is exactly what a mother would do. To be completely honest I think that is what a father would do because I think that is what I would do. Parent will kill or even worse when their children get involved.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Hmmm....well having just watched Doomsday for the second time, I can say it was definitely rougher the second time around, and I cried and cried all by myself at my laptop. :tongue: Rose really loved The Doctor - I mean I think they all do to a certain extent, but Rose has been the only companion so far (at least in the newer series, I haven't watched the old classics yet) who was willing to stay with him forever, walking away from family, friends, everything, to be with him. And I think he loved her more, or in a different way that he did/does the others (except for River of course, at some point!), evidenced by how protective he was of Rose's sweatshirt in the next episode with Donna, snatching it from her and how he responded to Donna's accusations, how he thought of Rose during Donna's wedding reception when he was watching the people dance, etc.

Sorry, not real deep, and rather obvious observations I suppose, but having caught up to the current eps, and now going back to rewatch the seasons with 9th & 10th Doctors, I'm seeing more things in the eps than I did the first time around. :wink:

I will go ahead and tip my hand on this one but I am only posting this on the internet for all of you to see so don't go telling everyone about this. I saw "Doomsday" in my living room on my 52" flat screen. It was dark and I was the only one in the house. I felt a very real and permanent loss in both of them and before I even realized it I had tears running down my face. That episode was very powerful and the dialogue was very well done.

In speaking of which I was also alone in the dark when I saw the two part episode "The Empty Child". I don't recommend that. I was completely creeped out by that little British kid asking for his mommy. I liked that the doctor made a big deal out of the fact that this one time everyone lives. I did think it was odd that the nanites were programing injuries in to everyone until they had the parent dna to compare the original victim to. Either way this episode was fantastic.

"There isn't a four year old in the world that wouldn't tear it apart to get back to his mommy its just most four year olds are capable of doing it." ~ The Doctor
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    powerful for the happy: Journey's End, when everyone was flying the TARDIS together to tow the Earth back to her orbit. it was just SO joyful. so many of these ppl had spent so much of their lives waiting on the Doctor. Waiting for him to come back for One More Adventure, Please. and they GOT it. and it was beautiful. i remember them all cheering and hugging and celebrating, and that i was right there with them on that high. i had the biggest smile on my face. and then Davies did what he did to Donna and ruined it, but THAT moment was just awesome.

powerful for the freaky: Blink. the whole episode. we've had the Weeping Angels since, but it never quite lives up to the original. i remember watching it the first time and just... trying to become one w/ the sofa. i didn't even realize it at the time, but i was pushing myself back into the couch to be a smaller target. it was legitimately creepifying. scarier than any horror movie i've ever seen. it will still make me jump and recoil when i re-watch it, and i can practically recite it by now!

but i think that the real reason i am so dedicated is that the show - not just the fans, but the creators (who at this point ARE fans too) have these LONG memories. so we had a moment talking about Susan and a moment talking about the Brigadier with 11. 10 mentioned K9 before he showed up, and he mentioned the Brigadier too. you get the honest feeling that the doctor (who by the time 11 comes along, hasn't seen Susan for a thousand years and the Brigadier for nearly that long) REMEMBERS every single person he loves and has loved. they are never gone for him, and the way he sees time, they can't be. they're just living where he can no longer go. it's beautiful and it's sad and it's great.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few moments .......

But the one that broke my heart is Amy leaving the Doctor for Rory in Manhattan .......

It makes me teary-eyed ..... and sad for everyone I've ever lost :sad: