Nutritional Yeast!

stefa711
stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
Hi all!
I am currently transitioning into a vegan diet, I'm at about 95% vegan foods, I pretty much only have dairy/eggs if I go out, if someone else cooks for me (which is very rarely), or if I don't yet have a vegan recipe for that particular item. I'm working on it!

Anyway, I have found so many recipes that require nutritional yeast and I can't find it anywhere! Does anyone know where I can buy it?

I'm in Savannah, GA, and this isn't exactly the healthiest city in America... lol. It's the "south" so people are all about fried foods.

Replies

• kimclenard
    kimclenard Posts: 46 Member
    If you can't find it in your 'healthier' food store. We have Sprout's here in California and that is where I purchased mine. You may have to order on line. You may want to read through some earlier threads on this topic where individuals talk about their favorite and least favorite brands of nutritional yeast.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Amazon is your friend.. I get mine from a local healthy food store but I'm sure you can find it online.... by the way I like it...
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Does your store have bulk food bins? It is often in there.
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Natural foods type stores should have it. Do you have Whole Foods or Sprouts nearby? If they don't have it in the bulk bins they will probably have it in bags or canisters on the shelves, just ask an employee.

If you don't have a health food store nearby, you can buy it online. I buy it off iHerb sometimes. This is the kind I get: www.iherb.com/KAL-Nutritional-Yeast-Flakes-Unsweetened-22-oz-624-g/19095?rcode=pib512
  • yellowbird591
    yellowbird591 Posts: 3 Member
    i've found it in a chain grocery store (giant eagle in pittsburgh) next to the yeast used for baking... not really the right place but i'm glad that they stock it!
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    isn't it also called Brewer's Yeast, or is that something different? I used to eat it all the time with that name, I thought. So maybe it has another name?

It's good in stuffing when making, say, stuffed Portabello mushrooms.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    I finally found it! It was with the organic spices in my normal grocery store... how about that??

I used it yesterday and it was delicious!