Falling Drills?

Options
IrateBeth
IrateBeth Posts: 42 Member
So, I just read the below article, and I am in total agreement with Punchy-O-Guts on this one.

What are your thoughts, both from the new skater and the old perspective, on falling drills?
Should we, as a sport, move away from 'falling' and instead move toward 'maintaining balance'?

http://punchyoguts.com/punchblog/2013/4/5/falling-drills-eff-that

(Also, I adore Punchy. She is a sweetheart on and off the track -plays for Maine. If you ever get to meet her you'll see. She is the right stuff.)

Replies

• Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think both are needed.

Fresh meat will always need falling drills. They WILL fall, and it's better if they learn how to fall correctly to minimize injuries.

But I think once that's been established, balance drills should be emphasized.

My league only does falling drills in fresh meat practice.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Agreed on both. Early in my newbie experience, a veteran skater was skating backwards and not watching and collided into me. I fell badly. Nobody was hurt, but it probably wasn't pretty.

Then recently, another veteran skater, again skating backwards and not paying attention, collided into me while I was working with another skater. I immediately tucked into a 4pt fall. I was pretty pleased with myself, actually.

They're exhausting, but falling drills are good stuff.