Modified corn starch.

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
I've eaten something that had set of skin reactions etc so thought that it must be one of allergies rather than my coeliacs but got bone pain today which has made me rethink.

I only had three things yesterday that I can think it maybe especially as have also been diagnosed with sunflower allergy very recently so foods that have been safe may be a trigger.

But I used a different sauce yesterday ( after finding out my jar of chillies have sunflower oil) that appeared safe but re-reading contained modified corn starch. I've read a few things online (wiki mainly) where modified corn starch can contain wheat or gluten and was wondering if anyone else knew if this can cause problems.

Hoping it is that otherwise baked beans or mustard is causing the problems - ( both appear safe).

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of it containing wheat gluten (but I really don't know much about modified corn starch) but tons of people with gluten allergies/intolerances have problems with corn at the same time. Do other corn products bother you?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Luckliy i tend to be fine with corn normally as I use cornflour as a thickener but will keep an eye out to see if it could be that.
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    Options
    I'm allergic and i can tell you for a fact that ALL modified starches are gluten,I know if if i eat anything with one in it and found out myself like you they are gluten,i've chatted to ppl who have been liven with Coeliac for may years some know and some have no idea and tell you you must be allergic to corn but this is not the case.
    I avoid the word modified to the best i can even when it isn't a starch.
    When i was being tested for coeliacs i told the doc what i found from 3 different products and before i finished telling her what they where she butting in and said modified starches and smiled,she knew i wasn't pretending to be ill if she ever thought it was.
    I am constantly having to tell ppl they are gluten as they are in nearly everything including some gf foods when i see posts of l confused why things are still making them ill like yogurts,i fall ill while eating yogurts. Natural yogurt is the on gf yogurt to trust, temped to try my daughters though as no mention of modified in sight.
    Baked beans,ready made mustards,and many more have them in i had to search for gf ones and heinz have a list of gf products.
    i've question on odd times though if they made my lip burn,the label says modified corn flour,that disapointed me and will see what happens next timw i buy some,if i can tell it is them i will send an email to point out the flour may also be gluten,i do hpe not though.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I've given the sauce away back to the neighbour - its not one we use normally but my chillies had sunflower oil in so needed some chilli for the carne i was making.

Normally I've been fine with modified starch - though tend to cook most thing from scratch so it could also be cross contaminating in the factory.
  • honoralexandria
    honoralexandria Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    With modified corn starch, it does depend on what country you are living in.

In the US, most modified corn starch does NOT contain wheat/gluten and if it does they MUST label it. I've had many products with modified food starch with no issue.

However, in the UK and other countries, modified corn starch can contain wheat without warning.
    This also applies to imported products, so if you're purchasing a spice packet or something from the UK or india (my local Publix for example has many ethnic foods that are produced and imported from their home country) you will likely get sick.

Friend of mine discovered this the hard way with a curry spice packet :(
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I found the culprit in the end - now allergic to mustard. Been having a reaction with different mustards and even curry powder that contains mustard seeds.