I'm a runner!

Options
Julie_Donahue
Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
I haven't posted much about it on this board, but I have now completed the C25K (couch to 5K) program and I have run my 3rd 5K on the treadmill. I run slow, and I'm working to improve my time and my distance---I'm also hoping to move it outside since 5Ks are almost always outside.

I started running (60 seconds at a time!) in January. I didn't complete the program in 8 weeks. (It took about 12). Somewhere around the middle (week 5) things clicked. It didn't get easier. But I got better. And I kept running.

I started the program just under 300 pounds. So if you've thought about running but didn't think it was possible at your weight (whatever number that is)---give it a try. It may not be for you. But you might just love it!

Replies

• ShannonTourne
    ShannonTourne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That is awesome Julie! Congratulations!
  • rlv2
    rlv2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congrats... I run slow too... I run my 3rd 5k this weekend... If it will stop raining here in Michigan... LOLOL It feels so great to run... and now you wont ever want to stop...
  • cindylu35
    cindylu35 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I wanna be you when I grow up! :) Congrats on being an official RUNNER! I know one day, I will post something like you did. Day by day, I know I'll get there.

p.s. I agree on the rain in Michigan thing. It's rather depressing to not have much sun yet. I have patience though and KNOW it will come out eventually! lol
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I was really enjoying C25k I should do it again.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats... I run slow too... I run my 3rd 5k this weekend... If it will stop raining here in Michigan... LOLOL It feels so great to run... and now you wont ever want to stop...

WAIT, what?! You are in Michigan? I'm in Michigan down by the Ohio-Indiana border. Where are you? Wanna play?.....or shop?
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am west coast Michigan (GR area) Where are you rlv2?
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I never thought about doing a 5K on a treadmill. Love that idea!

Keep up the amazing work Julie. You look great!
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Julie, did you go through a period of time where you were dealing with knee pain? I know someone did, but I can't remember who it was.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    I never thought about doing a 5K on a treadmill. Love that idea!
    I started doing the C25K on the treadmill because it was too cold to run outside. (And we had a very short cold time---not like you guys!) But I'd encourage you to try 2 days on treadmill and one outside. It's tough to make the transition outside. Last night I ran just over a mile outside.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Options
    Julie, did you go through a period of time where you were dealing with knee pain? I know someone did, but I can't remember who it was.

No, I didn't have knee pain. Everyone once in a while I'll have a little bit, but not much. I've had more trouble with my foot (plantar fascitis) and my ankle.
  • beckimj
    Options
    How have you dealt with it? I had an almost two week break from running because of knee pain. I have done ice and elevation and rest. I think it was better when I ran yesterday, but now I am just overall so sore, I am not sure. LOL
  • Aellyn
    Aellyn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Way to go Julie!
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! I have heard this can happen to people who would never expect to be able to run. I always despised it myself because I have weak ankles but over the weekend I found myself jogging from the car to the house, and it didn't kill me! It wasn't very far maybe 300 feet but my bf of 3 years said wow I've never seen you run before! I have barely lost anything yet so I think once I get off a good amount of weight I'll be able to at least jog from time to time!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! I have heard this can happen to people who would never expect to be able to run. I always despised it myself because I have weak ankles but over the weekend I found myself jogging from the car to the house, and it didn't kill me! It wasn't very far maybe 300 feet but my bf of 3 years said wow I've never seen you run before! I have barely lost anything yet so I think once I get off a good amount of weight I'll be able to at least jog from time to time!
    I started doing a program like Couch 2 5k (I blame Julie, she got me interested in it with her NSV) called Zombies 5k, and I hate running. I'm ok with walking, but this works for me (yay zombie apocalypse storyline). It may only be a little bit of jogging, but hey, it's some running. I call that a NSV for you Jenny! It definitely makes things easier on the knees as you loose weight. I know Beckimj had problems with knee pain, I haven't had that yet, but when I do squats or lunges, my knees definitely let me know they're unhappy.
  • beckimj
    Options
    My knee pain came when I ran outside. Pavement running is very different from treadmill running. Today, I finished week 6, day 3...and had a 22 minute consecutive run :)
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I just want to say Julie, that you're awesome! I didn't think about running on a treadmill either, but I joined a gym last weekend. With you very firmly in mind (isn't the interweb wonderful?) I've been running this week! Okay, it's not fast but it's more than I thought I could do. I've now incorporated treadmill interval training into my routine, so I run 60 seconds walk 90 seconds then repeat for 20 minutes. I feel awesome that I'm managing that, so I can only imagine being as awesome as you are running 5k at a time! I'll get there, give me a few months :)