Introduction.... Zombies, Run! 5k Training

Options
Emmielia
Emmielia Posts: 75 Member
Hello there
Im Emma and I'm starting Week 1 Day 1 tomorrow morning of the 5k training. I love zombie movies, and think this app does a fantastic job at motivating me!
So if your like me and need a bit of an extra push to get out running (or in if you like treadmills) then feel free to join me.

Replies

• Spikethered
    Spikethered Posts: 108
    Options
    Hey, not heard of this before....what's it all about?
  • basicjim
    basicjim Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I am Jim and I am on Week 7. I finished Day 1 today. I am building up to do at least one triathlon this year. I got a couple (*cough* 40) lbs to lose and I love the way ZR!5K builds you up.

I did a different C25k a couple years ago and it was BORING! ZR!5K makes you look forward to the run!

Jim
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hello, I plan to start this real soon, if it ever stops snowing anyways LOL. So hopefully will beable to get on it around the 22 or so. I have no problem running on a treadmill, however running outside kills me within minutes, so the goal is to do the program all outside and learn to run on the road.
  • scarlett7788
    scarlett7788 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Can you start this as a beginner? Or does it require some running experience? Last summer I jogged once or twice a week, but its something i'd like to build some confidence in doing! I would deffo be starting be fitness from scratch as i've been out of the fitness loop for a bit!

Do you build up to the £5k in the app? Or should be be able to do that as it is?

Thanks
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You build up to the 5k over a course of time
  • Emmielia
    Options
    Hey, not heard of this before....what's it all about?

Its just like the C25k but with zombie podcasts allowing you to run whilst listening to instructions i.e "Run to the tower the is a horde following you" and whilst you run you sync a playlist from your phones music files and listen to your music. Also online you can set up a base and whilst you run you can collect supplies for your base.

Yes you can biuld yourself up it tells you. Warmup.. walk, 1 min slow run, then freeform run the last 10 mins. This is Week 1

Google the app!
  • Emmielia
    Options
    Howdy! I am Jim and I am on Week 7. I finished Day 1 today. I am building up to do at least one triathlon this year. I got a couple (*cough* 40) lbs to lose and I love the way ZR!5K builds you up.

I did a different C25k a couple years ago and it was BORING! ZR!5K makes you look forward to the run!

Jim

Well done on the loss! I'm so excited to start tomorrow. I tried the mission and only got 3.33k lol! Its was fantastic i'll look forward tobe able to run the full 5k without stopping, and getting away from Zombies.
  • Spikethered
    Spikethered Posts: 108
    Options
    Still lost, is it an app for a mobile? Or a game? Thanks
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Still lost, is it an app for a mobile? Or a game? Thanks

App for mobile :]
  • Lydsie89
    Lydsie89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This sounds so neat! I am totally getting this app- as I want to start getting into more running this summer.
    Cant wait to start next week! (or maybe this week :D)
  • laurakoerbin
    Options
    This looks like so much fun! I'm really excited to try it out now. I just downloaded it on to my iPhone, and I'll test it out tomorrow. How long does each session go for approximately?
  • Emmielia
    Options
    You run for about 30-40mins each time
  • Angyrr
    Angyrr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've got a few questions: ...I'd google for answers, but all sites zombie related are blocked here at work, including the dev site for the app... :(

How frequently are we suppossed to accomplish these runs? Everyday? As in is everyone running everyday, or on some other schedule like weekends off or every-other-day? Are they even strenuous enough to warrant a recovery day?

Thanks for any info!
  • basicjim
    Options
    I've got a few questions: ...I'd google for answers, but all sites zombie related are blocked here at work, including the dev site for the app... :(

You know who the Zoms will eat first? People who set up your firewalls!! ;)
    How frequently are we suppossed to accomplish these runs? Everyday? As in is everyone running everyday, or on some other schedule like weekends off or every-other-day?

The recommended freq is 3 times per week. This takes you from being able to walk for a little while and builds you up to be able to run a full 5K. Most people on a C25K plan are building from ground zero, so running every day would cause injuries. A rest day is HIGHLY recommended unless your already VERY fit.

There are 3 runs per week in the program. People usually refer to them as W2D3 for Week 2 Day 3. I do my runs every other day and then take an extra day off between weeks. Sometimes I am supposed to do a run but get called in for work or something and I don't get to run. No prob. That is my extra day off.

Are they even strenuous enough to warrant a recovery day?

For me, YES! I am a big boy and running ain't easy! I think if people are on a C25K plan, they will find running a bit stressful. It doesn't get much easier, you just get better at it!

Week 1 started with this....

10 min walk

Then 10 times you do this..
    Walk 1 min
    Run Slow 15 sec.

So you have done a total of 150 seconds running but have plenty of time to recover.

THEN you have a 5 min freeform run. The freeform is where YOU decided what you can do. If you feel like walking the whol thing, go for it. If you wanna do a little more running and mix in some walking, no prob. If you wanna run the whole thing, good on ya!!

The freeforms give you a chance to challenge yourself and lets the program meet you where you are. When I started, the 15 second runs weren't a big deal at all, but I could only do 3 min without a walk break.

Each week they get a little tougher. HOPEFULLY they will be challenging.
    Thanks for any info!

No prob! Ask anything about it!

And there was another thread with some decent info here... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/953917-zombies-run?page=1#posts-14546813

Jim
  • Angyrr
    Angyrr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jim,

Awesome responses !! Thanks much, it was exaclty the info I was looking for. I anticipated off days, but didn't know if the program included those (for instance on a recovery day it just had you do a 30min brisk walk).

I hate running. It beats me up. The problem is I am also very stubborn and strong willed. I'm can't stand the thought that of all the things in my life--something that I have so much control over--it is my physical fitness that doesn't meet my expections. At some point I decided I will be a good runner, stop punishing the pavement, and hope to complete a full marathon (Perhaps next year's Air Force Marathon).

The end result of that confilict in abilty vs. will--a seemingly infinate loop that in which I over train, injure myself, lose time in recovery, then push hard to make up that "lost" training--resulting in an injury.

Knowing that the program has worked well for you on the schedule you described is a great comfort. I anticipate a similar schedule. This way I can also continue my weight training.

Congrats on your progress, and thanks again for the support!!
  • Emmielia
    Options

You know who the Zoms will eat first? People who set up your firewalls!! ;)
    How frequently are we suppossed to accomplish these runs? Everyday? As in is everyone running everyday, or on some other schedule like weekends off or every-other-day?

The recommended freq is 3 times per week. This takes you from being able to walk for a little while and builds you up to be able to run a full 5K. Most people on a C25K plan are building from ground zero, so running every day would cause injuries. A rest day is HIGHLY recommended unless your already VERY fit.

There are 3 runs per week in the program. People usually refer to them as W2D3 for Week 2 Day 3. I do my runs every other day and then take an extra day off between weeks. Sometimes I am supposed to do a run but get called in for work or something and I don't get to run. No prob. That is my extra day off.

Are they even strenuous enough to warrant a recovery day?

For me, YES! I am a big boy and running ain't easy! I think if people are on a C25K plan, they will find running a bit stressful. It doesn't get much easier, you just get better at it!

Week 1 started with this....

10 min walk

Then 10 times you do this..
    Walk 1 min
    Run Slow 15 sec.

So you have done a total of 150 seconds running but have plenty of time to recover.

THEN you have a 5 min freeform run. The freeform is where YOU decided what you can do. If you feel like walking the whol thing, go for it. If you wanna do a little more running and mix in some walking, no prob. If you wanna run the whole thing, good on ya!!

The freeforms give you a chance to challenge yourself and lets the program meet you where you are. When I started, the 15 second runs weren't a big deal at all, but I could only do 3 min without a walk break.

Each week they get a little tougher. HOPEFULLY they will be challenging.
    Thanks for any info!

No prob! Ask anything about it!

And there was another thread with some decent info here... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/953917-zombies-run?page=1#posts-14546813

Jim

I second this, Thanks Jim :flowerforyou:
  • mjc65
    mjc65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just started W4 - significantly easier than W3, but the final run is a bit of a killer. Best keep working at the W3 8 minute free runs...
  • basicjim
    Options
    Jim,

Awesome responses !! Thanks much, it was exaclty the info I was looking for. I anticipated off days, but didn't know if the program included those (for instance on a recovery day it just had you do a 30min brisk walk).

I hate running. It beats me up. The problem is I am also very stubborn and strong willed. I'm can't stand the thought that of all the things in my life--something that I have so much control over--it is my physical fitness that doesn't meet my expections. At some point I decided I will be a good runner, stop punishing the pavement, and hope to complete a full marathon (Perhaps next year's Air Force Marathon).

The end result of that confilict in abilty vs. will--a seemingly infinate loop that in which I over train, injure myself, lose time in recovery, then push hard to make up that "lost" training--resulting in an injury.

Knowing that the program has worked well for you on the schedule you described is a great comfort. I anticipate a similar schedule. This way I can also continue my weight training.

Congrats on your progress, and thanks again for the support!!

AF Marathon? You may be in MY neck of the woods!

I don't think you have to beat yourself up and be down on yourself. You just need to decide, like weightloss, like being sucessful at anything, like anything worth having, it WON'T HAPPEN OVER NIGHT.

I ran for 2 years before running the Marine Corp Marathon when I was stationed in DC. That was 10 years ago. Last year when I started C25K I couldn't run 3 minutes straight. I pushed too hard and got injured. I remember running at mile 22 and getting a second wind and I FORGOT that I wasn't in that shape anymore. I am STILL recovering from that injury. Sound familiar? :)

I started this C25K on a treadmill. I am 50+ lbs overweight and if I go and push too hard on the pavement, I'll get injured like last year. So every chance I am on the treadmill. Less impact on the knees and I can SEE how much I am pushing.

I say do the ZR!5K. Do it on a treadmill. If you have to, walk during your 'free form runs.' Just getting out and moving is going to help. Once you finish the thing, do it again and RUN the free form runs.

Just believe in yourself and cut yourself some slack for not doing it overnight! If you want to be stubborn, be stubbon in NOT missing a workout. Don't be stubborn in running every possible second or running MORE than your supposed to on the plan!

HTH. Hope I am not just spewing stuff nobody wants to read! I get wordy some times!

Let me sign off and put in a couple quotes from my motivational hero, John Bingham, also known in the running world as "The Penguin"

Jim

•"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

•"It was being a runner that mattered, not how fast or how far I could run. The joy was in the act of running and in the journey, not in the destination."

•"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

•"I am a runner because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far. I am a runner because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not."

•"Believe that you can run farther or faster. Believe that you're young enough, old enough, strong enough, and so on to accomplish everything you want to do. Don't let worn-out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself."

•"For me, like so many others, running is the answer. Out on the road it is just you, the pavement, and your will."

•"Frustration is the first step towards improvement. I have no incentive to improve if I'm content with what I can do and if I'm completely satisfied with my pace, distance and form as a runner. It's only when I face frustration and use it to fuel my dedication that I feel myself moving forwards."

•"What distinguishes those of us at the starting line from those of us on the couch is that we learn through running to take what the days gives us, what our body will allow us, and what our will can tolerate."
  • basicjim
    Options
    Just started W4 - significantly easier than W3, but the final run is a bit of a killer. Best keep working at the W3 8 minute free runs...

Good job on hitting week 4! The first 15min free form was rough! I walked quite a few times! By W4D3 I was much better! Keep it up!
  • mjc65
    mjc65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Agree with the posts saying how it is much more motivating than other approaches- I tried the more formulaic running programs and always gave up after a few weeks, With this I found it much more addictive to go out and run (although I did make the mistake of starting with the app for people who can already run 5K without too much difficulty - that first run is tough!)