Favorite Shoes!

Options
xbratschex
xbratschex Posts: 11 Member
Hey guys!

Just finished my first half and want (/need) to treat myself to a brand new pair of running shoes.

I got a great pair of lightweight New Balance shoes in February and loved them, but I'm wondering what your favorites are/if you have any suggestions. I plan to keep a similar training schedule like I did for this half.

Welcome to any and all suggestions! Thank you! :)

Replies

• cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love my Newtons. I'm using one of their shoes with a tactile prompt at the midfoot right now, but I'm looking to go down to a more minimalist shoe in the next 6 months or so.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I love my Newtons. I'm using one of their shoes with a tactile prompt at the midfoot right now, but I'm looking to go down to a more minimalist shoe in the next 6 months or so.

I've been using Newton Sir Isaac's and like them but perhaps I should have gone with a more minimal shoe.

Over the past few weeks, I've been oogling shoes and was thinking of the Brooks Pure Cadence/Flow, the New Balance Minimus, or a few others.

Yesterday afternoon I stopped in at Road Runner Sports and tried on the Saucony Virrata (too narrow in the toe box) and a couple of different Newtons. My fiancée and I did a walk at a local trail and I just ran the 2 miles home from the trailhead in the Newton Gravity and they felt really, really good.

I will still use my Sir Isaacs (I rotate two pair) but will use the Gravity for shorter runs until I get used to the Gravity.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options

Yesterday afternoon I stopped in at Road Runner Sports and tried on the Saucony Virrata (too narrow in the toe box) and a couple of different Newtons. My fiancée and I did a walk at a local trail and I just ran the 2 miles home from the trailhead in the Newton Gravity and they felt really, really good.

I hear you. I really learned to run in Newtons and everything else feels too narrow.

I don't know what I like anymore. Most shoes, even in a size 15, rub the side of my big toe and annoy me.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Yesterday afternoon I stopped in at Road Runner Sports and tried on the Saucony Virrata (too narrow in the toe box) and a couple of different Newtons.

Every time I try a pair of Saucony's I want to go run right then and there. I have gone through several pairs of Kinvaras and am about 350 miles into my first pair of Cortana. I liked the Virrata when I tried it but prefer the Nike Free as my minimal shoe.

I despise Newtons.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few different brands but always seem to come back to New Balance.

That said, I take the advice of my tried-and-trusted running store very seriously and would try anything they suggest. They always assess your old pair, looking at how you are wearing the shoe down (in- and outside) and then they would suggest three options. You do a test run in each during which they assess your form in the shoe. After your feedback on how the shoes felt they usually eliminate the 'worst' shoe and then the choice is up to you.

Bottomline: go to a reputable running store and take your old shoes with.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I favour nike vomeros and their free rides. I have trained in them for my marathon and were recommended to me after a gait analysis.

Shoes are a very personal choice, one person's favourite might not be another person's choice...find a pair that suit you and your style :-)
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Shoes are a very personal choice, one person's favourite might not be another person's choice...find a pair that suit you and your style :-)
    ^^^ This
  • ATT949
    Options

Yesterday afternoon I stopped in at Road Runner Sports and tried on the Saucony Virrata (too narrow in the toe box) and a couple of different Newtons.

Every time I try a pair of Saucony's I want to go run right then and there. I have gone through several pairs of Kinvaras and am about 350 miles into my first pair of Cortana. I liked the Virrata when I tried it but prefer the Nike Free as my minimal shoe.

I despise Newtons.

Nike Free was on my list but I think I was hooked on the Gravity by the time I saw them.

"despise Newtons" What, can't deal with the hype? ;-)

Or is it the lugs on the sole?
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of styles of Saucony that work well for me. It's really hard for me to find female shoes in size 11 that also accommodate my gait.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

The lug on the sole was a big part of it. My running club in Connecticut had a Newton rep come to one of our group runs on a Saturday. The guy was much more interested in helping the women find the correct shoe than me. We then made the tactical error of listening to Benny "Let's just run and see how the feel"....9 miles later I was ready to run back to the store barefoot. The final straw was when I was putting my Kinvaras back on the dude was like "oh, I didn't know that was your regular shoe, I would have given you xxx instead".
  • ATT949
    Options

The lug on the sole was a big part of it. My running club in Connecticut had a Newton rep come to one of our group runs on a Saturday. The guy was much more interested in helping the women find the correct shoe than me. We then made the tactical error of listening to Benny "Let's just run and see how the feel"....9 miles later I was ready to run back to the store barefoot. The final straw was when I was putting my Kinvaras back on the dude was like "oh, I didn't know that was your regular shoe, I would have given you xxx instead".

9 miles in the wrong shoe — ouch!

The Kinvarra's got some drop to it, doesn't it?

The Sir Isaac is 4 or 4.5 mm (depending on who measures it) but the Gravity is only 3 and they make a racing shoe that's 0mm. Based on what you said, he probably didn't give you the Sir Isaacs, which might have been OK. Other than that…ugh.

Connecticut, eh? I lived in Avon from 1979-1981. Love the country side but the winters were a little much for me.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Another CT person here - I love my virrata's. I have a pair of cursoris' also. I like them, but haven't completely warmed up to them yet and have been using them for intervals mostly. I am curious about altra's, as well.
  • camrunner
    Options

9 miles in the wrong shoe — ouch!

The Kinvarra's got some drop to it, doesn't it?

The Sir Isaac is 4 or 4.5 mm (depending on who measures it) but the Gravity is only 3 and they make a racing shoe that's 0mm. Based on what you said, he probably didn't give you the Sir Isaacs, which might have been OK. Other than that…ugh.

Connecticut, eh? I lived in Avon from 1979-1981. Love the country side but the winters were a little much for me.

Kinvara is 4mm drop. Very nice shoe, even though mine are a size too small and I really can't wear them for more than a few miles.
  • camrunner
    Options
    Another CT person here - I love my virrata's. I have a pair of cursoris' also. I like them, but haven't completely warmed up to them yet and have been using them for intervals mostly. I am curious about altra's, as well.

I have a couple pairs of Altras. The only ones that are available in a size 15 -- the Samson and the Torin. I haven't really broken in the Torin yet so I'm reserving judgment, but the Samson is probably the best shoe I own.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've been in Asics Gel-Nimbus 12's for the road- very happily. I hate to admit it but I've been running trails in Hoka Stinson Tarmac (the road shoe) which I purchased after a foot injury. LOVE how at the end of a long run I'm not "feeling" every rock or root. Just bought the Stinson Evos since they have more of a trail tread. I have a 30 mile training run on Saturday, and I'll see how they do (21mi in the Stinson tarmac Monday and I felt fine- and foot pain is usually my issue. Super speedy recovery everywhere else too, even though it was my first run over 14mi on trails w/hills.)
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm very interested in trying out the Altra Torins. :happy: BTW Hokas are a 4mm drop.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ah, the Hokas. I remember when I used to see the occasional pair during trail ultras and I thought to myself - "I will never wear those ridiculous clown shoes." Once I finally got over my initial bias and with a recommendation that they are also a great recovery shoe (I was nursing a sore hamstring at the time) I tried them out and never looked back. Now I see them everywhere.

I use the Hoka Stinson Evos for my long trail runs and ultra races. I thought about going with the Tarmacs but I don't run long on the roads enough to justify the cost so I've stuck to my Brooks Adrenalines which I've been using for years and not had any issues with so I don't have any compelling reason to change.

I seem to be more willing to experiment on the trail. I've used the Brooks Cascadias and loved them up until the 7s which I had a terrible time with. I just bought the Altra Lone Peak 1.5. I'm looking at the Lone Peaks as a strengthening shoe for short runs of 15 miles or less. I'll see how it goes on the short stuff before I try anything more. I'll stay with the Hokas for the long stuff for now.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Mizunos all the way!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have brooks. I like them a bunch. They were suggested to me by the running store while I was getting fitted.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I mildly over pronate. Saucony Guide 5 are my weapon of choice.