Womens or Rgular lifting bar?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
Just curious, do you use the regular bar or the Women's bar (I believe 35 lbs and shorter is the only difference?) when you do SL?

UGH should say Regular (sorry cannot edit the title)

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I use the regular oly bar (45lbs) for all my lifts including bicep curls.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I use the regular oly bar (45lbs) for all my lifts including bicep curls.

I was too but wondering if I will have better control with a shorter bar (especially on OHP)!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I use the regular (45 lb) bar for most things except for OHP and skull crushers, which I use my EZ curl bar for.

I find OHP much easier to deal with, using the shorter bar.

No rule written you can't use different bars for different lifts, so go try different bars if you have access to them, and do what you gotta do, would be my suggestion. :smile:
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    regular! that's all they have at my gym.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Regular. It’s all I have at the house. Well, unless I want to stack a bunch on the ten pound standard, but what fun would that be? :laugh:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    @ my home gym I have a standard weight set (15lb bar). The standard bar I have supports 250lbs. If I ever get my lifts above 250lbs I'll invest in an Olympic set as a reward. For my purposes, the standard set works fine but if I had to do it all over, I'd invest in an Olympic Set.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I workout at home and I use the 45lb Oly bar for all my lifts.
  • mjpbgtd
    mjpbgtd Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to tell what type of bar the gym has? I looked to see if there were any markings on the bars at our gym - but didn't see anything. Is there somewhere I should be looking. I assume the ones I'm using are oly but I don't know how to confirm.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't use an Oly bar just a standard bar. It weigh 10kg
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The olympic bar will have a 2-inch diameter at each end. The plates will have a 2-inch inner diameter ring.

The standard bar has a much smaller diameter on each end, and the plates' inner diameter ring is also much smaller.

That's how you know.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    The olympic bar will have a 2-inch diameter at each end. The plates will have a 2-inch inner diameter ring.

The standard bar has a much smaller diameter on each end, and the plates' inner diameter ring is also much smaller.

That's how you know.

I didn't even know gyms had barbells that small.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Just to be super-helpful, my gym has both womens' and mens' oly bars. One is 5kg lighter than the other, and slightly shorter. So if you load up a bar with weight and think "this seems super-easy today", you may have the womens' one. Not all gyms have them though!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I use standard oly bar except for OHP, where I use a smaller bar. The womens? It´s 10 kg (22 pounds) and then I put about 6 kg (13 pounds) on it. I just started, I´m not strong enough for the oly bar in OHP.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I use the regular Olympic bar. It's just easier for me to be consistent with, especially since the 45lbs is no problem for me to lift. I can see maybe using the lady bar if 45 was too heavy for OHP in the beginning or something. Generally, I have a problem with any weight equipment dividied into men's or women's....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking that this post says BRA. And yeah, I have been thinking about getting loser, less constricting bras for lifting vs. cardio. :flowerforyou: