Marathon training for tapering and cross training..?

Options
bluefox9er
bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
Hi..I have finally made it to the tapering stage of my marathon training.

I was injured for 3 weeks during the main training, but caught up and managed the last 'long run' of 20 miles without too many problems.

Now that the mileage is being scaled down ( I am using Hal Higdon novice 2), would it harm me if I increase my cross training ?

My cross training would be limited to walking/elliptical/stationary bike/ mountain biking/ walking-running in a swimming pool.

It's 3 weeks to go before Marathon day..

I havn't cross trained as much as I should have throughout the training, but not looking to play ' catch up' with the cross training I have missed.

Thanks!

Replies

• sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Dee, can't you just take it easy? No, of course not...what was I thinking? :tongue:
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I would not increase the cross training, but I would not taper it until the last week
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    What is this "taper" you speak of?
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing reading the latest edition of Hal Higdon's book on marathon training and he repeats over and over NOT to increase cross training while in the taper. For that matter he actually suggests reducing the cross training as well as the running during your final 3 weeks of taper before the marathon. Best of luck on your upcoming race!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My plan also suggests skipping the x-training during the taper. At this point Dee, you are what you are. There will be other races to tackle. The idea is to get to the starting line fresh and ready to go. Trying to cram in extra training is at odds with that objective. Just show up to the race knowing you did your best to prepare, learned some lessons along the way and when the gun goes off, give it your best. Good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    My plan also suggests skipping the x-training during the taper. At this point Dee, you are what you are. There will be other races to tackle. The idea is to get to the starting line fresh and ready to go. Trying to cram in extra training is at odds with that objective. Just show up to the race knowing you did your best to prepare, learned some lessons along the way and when the gun goes off, give it your best. Good luck!

I agree entirely..at this stage you really are who you are. I will stay true to the remainder of the training plan ( Higdon novice 2) and do the required tapering miles.

For sure, i have learned so very much about running as I have about myself. It's been a heck of a journey and I am delighted to still be in with a shot at this stage.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    For me one of the hardest parts of running is to trust the training at the end and survive taper madness.
  • kloser2kona
    Options

could not agree more!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Taper madness!