Red Settings

Options
So, anyone else notice that the sonic now has red settings? Closer and closer to River departing... :cry:

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, forgot about that :sad:

blehhhh_zps20e39f3b.gif
  • IDontLikeRegistering
    IDontLikeRegistering Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think that when River said she met the Doctor in reverse order she wasn't right. If you think about it, we've met her at all types of different times in her life, all jumbled up. As it stands, there is no reason why we won't keep on seeing River Song for as long as writers want to bring the character in.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I think that when River said she met the Doctor in reverse order she wasn't right. If you think about it, we've met her at all types of different times in her life, all jumbled up. As it stands, there is no reason why we won't keep on seeing River Song for as long as writers want to bring the character in.

I think she was correct. She has a subjective view point of reality. When she first met the doctor every single episode we ever saw had already occurred. He knew her so well and she did not know him at all. For the doctor this means that he will never see her again but for her it means that she still had all of her future encounters ahead of her.

The tragedy of their relationship is that as one of them gets to know the other more and more the other gets to know them less and less. Now they did leave a little bit of wiggle room by having so many of their encounters happen out of order and having multiple Riversongs in so many scenes but if you were to take that entire tangled web of events and pull it out in to a straight line you would see that their overlaps do have a definitive beginning and end.

One thing I think would be fun to do when it becomes possible would be to take all of the riversong episodes and play then in order from her perspective.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    One thing I think would be fun to do when it becomes possible would be to take all of the riversong episodes and play then in order from her perspective.

That WOULD be fun!
  • verptwerp
    Options
    I probably missed something along the way, because I can't figure out HOW that whole reverse relationship started .......

But I love every second of it :happy:
  • soldier4242
    Options
    SPOILER ALERT!!! DON'T READ IF YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP TO AT LEAST SEASON SIX!!!

I don't think it has been thoroughly explained within the story itself but as a fan I can venture something of a guess.

Riversong is daughter of a women named Melody Pond and a guy name Rory. Shortly after her impregnation she was abducted and replaced with an identical copy of her by a religious group known only as "The Silence" who intend to use the child as a weapon against the doctor because Melody's frequent exposure to the T.A.R.D.U.S. has made her off spring especially unique in that the child now seems to be at least in part time lord. Melody was completely unaware of the fact that she was abducted until after the doctor figured it out and turned her doppelganger in to goo.

Now we get to the weird part where most of this will be stuff that is actually just speculation by fans as the creators were not kind enough to give an answer yet but as I understand it. "The Silence" intentionally went out of their way to make Riversong's timeline run against the doctors as a way of ensuring that she would catch up to him. She was intentionally engineered in such a way as to make her the perfect doctor killing machine. She succeeds in her mission but the act of actually killing the doctor deprograms her causing her to lament what she has done. She ends up doing what so many of us do in a situation such as this and she asks her mother, "Is he a man worth saving?" She uses the energy of all her remaining regenerations to save the doctor. Now she is on a set course with her timeline still running against the doctors and there is no way for her to change that.

The rub is that she is now in love with the doctor and she knows that one of her meetings will be the first time the doctor meets her and she will then never see him again. We have already seen silence in the library which is that moment she now lives in dread of and she does choose to sacrifice herself for that exact reason. The doctor did managed to save her mind within a computer. I have left out a lot of other things I could have expanded upon this with. For example "fixed points being rewritten" but this is long as hell already.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I watched the show, I get it :ohwell:

Also, I think you mean Amy Pond, and TARDIS.

The only part of that that was speculation was that The Silence set River's timeline to go in the reverse of the Doctor's. I don't believe that to be true, as they do a few times meet in random order, not in complete reverse. The "reservse order" is a TREND in their meetings, one of the big exceptions being when Amy and Rory were sent back in time in Angels Take Manhattan, as both River and the Doctor were at a roughly similar point in their experiences. River had already served her prison sentence and been released, and is likely a Professor at this point in time, which she also is in the Library. The Doctor has also had the majority of his experiences with her, so this is late in the game for both of them. Also, they can't meet in completely reverse order because at the time when Melody regenerated into River, in the Hitler episode, he had already met older River AND meets older River again after that many times.

Summary: the backwards timelines thing is a trend, not a rule, and certainly not governed by The Silence.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    I did misspell tardis and I did juxtapose the name of Amy and Melody there at the beginning sorry about that.

I have some of the same objections to this speculation myself as I am not the author of it. The thing is this idea was made up to try and deal with the sense of permanence that the characters seem to be talking about. If it is nothing more than a TREND then I don't see what the big deal is. When you notice a trend you can choose to change it and as we have seen Riversong is not worried about changing things. If she is willing to change a fixed point which is something the doctor said could not be done than she could simply change the trend and stay with the doctor at a point where they both remember each other.

The show gives us every impression that Riversong is moving through her relationship with the doctor in a reverse order and she can't stop it from happening. She kisses the doctor and the says "There is a first time for everything." and as he leaves on the TARDIS she say "and a last" it is entirely possible that there are more pieces to the puzzle than you me or the fans that came up with the alternate explanation have.

Telling a story that involves time travel inevitably comes with trouble. That is why I don't use time travel in my D&D games. Doctor Who has done a better job at telling a story involving time travel then most but Riversong does bring up a ton of questions.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Some people with more ambtion than I worked these timelines up.

91dpg8.jpg

2heeh3m.jpg
  • verptwerp
    Options
    Thanks for the explanations & theories ......

I'll need to rewatch a few episodes ....... looking forward to it :drinker: