Day 1

Options
pattyproulx
pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
So how was everyone's first day? Who's still doing this? There doesn't seem to be much activity on the forum! :P

I'm still very pumped about the challenge. We went to the grocery store and stocked up on veggies, meat, and other Whole30-approved items.

What I ate on my first day:

Breakfast - hardboiled eggs, a tangerine, a coffee with coconut milk.
Lunch - Pork burger patty with mushrooms and kale sautéed in coconut oil.
Dinner - Fajita-style chicken breast, with sautéed mushrooms, onions, peppers, and broccoli with homemade guacamole and salsa.
Dessert - An apple and half an unsweetened apple sauce cup.

I also made some 'clean ketchup' (though it tastes a little more like pizza sauce) to go with my burger for lunch tomorrow. Was hoping to make some homemade mayo but can't find the right blade for my food processor. :(

Anyhow, 1 down, 29 to go! Hope everyone else is doing well!

Replies

• cksummer2013
    cksummer2013 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm still in! Day 1 was okay except I really missed my french vanilla coffee creamer. I realized that I have been drinking it for more than 10 years... But, it's only for 30 days right?

Breakfast: 2 eggs, coffee black (yuck yuck), little spinach
    Lunch: salad green topped with tomato, balsamic vinegar, and pot roast
    Dinner: roasted broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower and roast beef. Unsweet tea (yuck yuck)...are we seeing a pattern here? LOL

Tomorrow, I will do my best to eat more. Day 1 is gone. Success. :)
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Day 1 was good!

B: Skillet Taco Pie with homemade Guacamole, Coffee w/coconut milk
    L: Egg Salad, Cabbage Goulash & Smoked Sausage
    D: Steak Fajitas with homemade Guacamole
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It was Day 15 for me (I started early!). Still staying on plan 100% - even though temptation abounds daily!! I'm working on upping my fats and think I'm going to have to get over my avocado aversion & start eating more of it.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    It was Day 15 for me (I started early!). Still staying on plan 100% - even though temptation abounds daily!! I'm working on upping my fats and think I'm going to have to get over my avocado aversion & start eating more of it.

I started out only eating about 1/4 of one at a time. Now, I eat 1/2 or whole one! I just sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
  • pattyproulx
    Options

I started out only eating about 1/4 of one at a time. Now, I eat 1/2 or whole one! I just sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
    I still don't really enjoy avocados on their own. I love guacamole on everything though so I just eat that. I just had some on my roast pork at lunch actually :P
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    Day 1 was good!

B: Skillet Taco Pie with homemade Guacamole, Coffee w/coconut milk
    L: Egg Salad, Cabbage Goulash & Smoked Sausage
    D: Steak Fajitas with homemade Guacamole

Very southwest-y. I like!

I think I'm going to be moving to non-breakfast foods for breakfast. I love eggs but I'll need to change it up a bit.

I know they advise against it, but I'm thinking I might go back to IF'ing and not eating breakfast. I'll keep it going for now but I just feel better in the morning when I'm fasting. I'm also never hungry and it seems like a chore to find something to eat.
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Super newbie here, so my first day 1 was like this - i'm open to all/any pointers :)

breakfast around 8am
    1/2 sweet potato
    egg casserole thingie with dill, broccoli and onions
    handful of cashews

snack around 10:30
    HB egg

Lunch around noon
    my crockpot roast with the vegetables - i admit i forgot about the palm sized portion of meat rule for this until after the fact LOL....but it was probably 2 palms. i figured there were worse things i could have done.
    green beans with almonds (the green giant steam bag thing)
    a couple strawberries

Snack around 3pm
    i was dying for sweets :/ i had a banana

Dinner around 6pm
    butternut squash beef casserole - had eggs in it too
    sauteed zucchini (in coconut oil)
    handful of cashews
    another banana

i had a really really hard time yesterday with the sweets thing. my massive headache day came early and i was pissed off and miserable all evening to be perfectly honest. i am a frozen yogurt junkie (i think i went the past 4 evenings before i started)...you know the places you serve yourself and put your own toppings on? then after thinking about it i dont think a day has gone by for years where i haven't had something sweetened or artificially sweetened.

so getting away with 2 bananas and a couple strawberries was pretty decent. i will also note it is PMS week....lol
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Super newbie here, so my first day 1 was like this - i'm open to all/any pointers :)

breakfast around 8am
    1/2 sweet potato
    egg casserole thingie with dill, broccoli and onions
    handful of cashews

snack around 10:30
    HB egg

Lunch around noon
    my crockpot roast with the vegetables - i admit i forgot about the palm sized portion of meat rule for this until after the fact LOL....but it was probably 2 palms. i figured there were worse things i could have done.
    green beans with almonds (the green giant steam bag thing)
    a couple strawberries

Snack around 3pm
    i was dying for sweets :/ i had a banana

Dinner around 6pm
    butternut squash beef casserole - had eggs in it too
    sauteed zucchini (in coconut oil)
    handful of cashews
    another banana

i had a really really hard time yesterday with the sweets thing. my massive headache day came early and i was pissed off and miserable all evening to be perfectly honest. i am a frozen yogurt junkie (i think i went the past 4 evenings before i started)...you know the places you serve yourself and put your own toppings on? then after thinking about it i dont think a day has gone by for years where i haven't had something sweetened or artificially sweetened.

so getting away with 2 bananas and a couple strawberries was pretty decent. i will also note it is PMS week....lol

Seems like a good day. I think the "rule of thumb" is 1-2 palm fulls of protein, so I think you are ok. If you had a lot of sugar before starting, I don't see anything wrong with using fruit as a sort of crutch for the first week or so. I think it would be difficult to eat the same grams of sugar as you were before (frozen yogurt) with fruit (aside from eating an entire bunch of bananas or something). Next time you are dying for something in the afternoon, balance your snack out with carbs, protein and fat. For example, your HB egg and banana would have went well together. Or even a some almonds with your banana.
  • kelr0110
    Options
    awesome thank you - i shall :)
  • pattyproulx
    Options

Great work! You'll definitely adapt after a few days. Only piece of advice would be to maybe swap your second banana with another fruit. Berries are generally best, but even an apple or pear would likely be better.

I can imagine it's tough going Whole30 when coming from a conventional diet. I've been non-strict Paleo for a while and I can imagine it's going to get tough.
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    Or even a some almonds with your banana.

Almond butter on a banana is delicious.
  • kelr0110
    Options

Great work! You'll definitely adapt after a few days. Only piece of advice would be to maybe swap your second banana with another fruit. Berries are generally best, but even an apple or pear would likely be better.

I can imagine it's tough going Whole30 when coming from a conventional diet. I've been non-strict Paleo for a while and I can imagine it's going to get tough.

Thank you, i should have had some more strawberries probably - i do love bananas...ugh. i only bought like 6 though i think. I had to unfriend the froyo place on fb today becasue they posted new flavor just in - tropical banana.

FIGURES lol
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Day 1 went great! No logging, no weighing or measuring my food. Just good 'ole fashioned eating when I'm hungry. Foreign concept to me, to tell you the truth. I thought about after dinner, that usually was the time I'd check to see if I had any calories for the day left to eat dark chocolate or something else sweet. Instead, I just observed I felt slightly hungry but fine so no extra snacking.

B: Eggs with kale/avocado salad
    L: Leftover grilled salmon on romaine lettuce
    S: Almond butter (Ugh, trying to avoid it this time around. My friend gave me a jar of hers, and I could feel the brakes coming off after a spoonful or 2, so I chucked it in the garbage).
    D: Burger, parsnip fries, more kale, sauerkraut

Already feeling the bloat around my midsection go down. Yay.
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    Day 1 went great! No logging, no weighing or measuring my food. Just good 'ole fashioned eating when I'm hungry. Foreign concept to me, to tell you the truth. I thought about after dinner, that usually was the time I'd check to see if I had any calories for the day left to eat dark chocolate or something else sweet. Instead, I just observed I felt slightly hungry but fine so no extra snacking.

B: Eggs with kale/avocado salad
    L: Leftover grilled salmon on romaine lettuce
    S: Almond butter (Ugh, trying to avoid it this time around. My friend gave me a jar of hers, and I could feel the brakes coming off after a spoonful or 2, so I chucked it in the garbage).
    D: Burger, parsnip fries, more kale, sauerkraut

Already feeling the bloat around my midsection go down. Yay.
    Nice! I'm also feeling weird about not measuring and tracking my food. I don't necessarily always do it, but it's a weird feeling to just eat.
    Not weighing myself in the morning is also going to be tough. I'm so used to weighing myself every morning. It's going to kill me not knowing how much I'm losing, haha.

Definitely a good exercise to do!

Also, looking forward to trying some parsnip fries. I've heard a lot about them!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is off to a great start! And thank you for posting your meals! Helps me figure out my meal plan!!
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Day 2 has been successful (so far)!

B: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, 1/2 avocado
    S: Egg Salad
    L: Cabbage Goulash, peppermint tea
    PWS: Waldorf Tuna Salad
    D: will be Skillet Taco Pie w/guacamole
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    Day 2 has been successful (so far)!

B: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, 1/2 avocado
    S: Egg Salad
    L: Cabbage Goulash, peppermint tea
    PWS: Waldorf Tuna Salad
    D: will be Skillet Taco Pie w/guacamole

Haha, might as well keep going with day 2 :)

B: 3 HB eggs, strawberries, coffee, coconut milk
    L: Pork Burger and Pork roast leftovers w/ homemade ketchup and guacamole. Chicken fajita leftovers with guac.
    S: Cherry Tomatoes
    D: Baked Salmon w/lemon and a side of cabbage, kale, and onion stir-fry

My lunches are almost always leftovers from the night before. For me, the best strategy to ensure I have some healthy food for work is to just make double what we'll eat at night. It can get a little lame to always have the same thing two meals in a row, but it's really not that bad!

Another thing that I'm not stressing over too too much is their portion sizing of each element (meat, veggies, fat, etc.).

Do you think there's any issue with that?
  • kelr0110
    Options
    my day 2:

breakfast
    butternut squash beef casserole
    sweet potato
    cashews

lunch
    egg casserole (flip flopped breakfast lunch from yesterday lol)
    almonds with green beans (green giant steam bag thingie)
    celery dipped in my chive mayo (homemade)
    3 strawberries

snack around 3
    2 HB eggs
    banana

dinner
    cauliflower mashed "potatoes"
    seared tuna steak
    sauteed zucchini in coconut oil

evening munchies (ugh)
    apple
    couple strawberries

my only issue with today is that i feel like i used a lot of fats at dinner. i think you're only supposed to use a little? i sauteed the zucchini and tuna in coconut oil in separate pans so that was like 4 tsp. i have to learn coconut oil seems to go a longer way, so i can use less.

also it was my first time making cauliflower mash. i was happy eventually with how it came out, but i ended up using more fats in a few tsp of ghee and added coconut milk to smooth it out.

egg salad sounds yummy snicci, ill have to hook myself up with that :)

fufonzo, how did you make your ketchup? i suppose i can just google it.

today should be a piece of cake for me really (no pun intended) i have acl surgery at 10:15 and can't eat until this afternoon LOL
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Day 2:

Whoever says Whole 30 is hard is a liar. It's so easy! All temptation is off my radar and out of my thoughts. It's so clear cut!

B: Practical Paleo Crustless Quiche with kale
    L: Puerto Rican Beef skillet, brocolli, guacamole
    S: Packet of raw cashew butter
    D: Grilled pork chip, salad, parsnip fries

Bought a giant (I mean HUGE!) parsnip from the farmer's market last weekend. I've been eating it for days!
  • cksummer2013
    cksummer2013 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm still in! Day 1 was okay except I really missed my french vanilla coffee creamer. I realized that I have been drinking it for more than 10 years... But, it's only for 30 days right?

Breakfast: 2 eggs, coffee black (yuck yuck), little spinach
    Lunch: salad green topped with tomato, balsamic vinegar, and pot roast
    Dinner: roasted broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower and roast beef. Unsweet tea (yuck yuck)...are we seeing a pattern here? LOL

Tomorrow, I will do my best to eat more. Day 1 is gone. Success. :)

Day 2 (04/16/13)
    Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with red bell pepper, spinach, tomato, avocado and salsa
    Lunch: Leftover pot roast, roasted zucchini and squash with evol and salt/pepper
    Dinner: roasted brussel sprouts in coconut oil and spices and balsamic vinegar, stir fried up some thin beef steak in ghee.
    Drinks: mostly water with either lemon or oranges, tad bit of unsweet tea (all I could handle of that), tad bit of coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon (again, about all I could handle, lol)