sick more since Gluten free

Options
tvl0308
tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
Hi everyone,
IT seems like i have been sick more since I have been gluten free, is anyone else experiencing this? I do take a multivitamin with a fish oil pill twice a day. Maybe my vitamin is not digesting and i am not getting the nutrients that i need. I always make sure my protein is over my goal and my fiber too. I am thinking on trying Shakeology maybe i can get my nutrients from that better. they do have gluten free. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What sort of "sick"? Is it possible you have other food intolerences/allergies (seems to be not entirely unusual to see multiple sensitivities)? I'v found that taking a vitamin supplement without food can make me feel yucky for an hour or two - I only take them when I know I'm badly missing something - try to get my basics from food sources. What is your basic diet - it may not work to eat the same sort of "stuff", just without the gluten (I've found a bread mix that's passable, but I hardly feel a need for bread anymore).

I noticed you said you took a multivitamin twice a day - what is the dosage on the bottle? Some vitamins and minerals can be unhealthy to downright toxic when overdosed and some (like selenium) have a rather low safety tolerance.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    How long have you been GF? I know that when I first cut out the gluteny stuff and other sugars/starches, I felt like hell. I actually felt like I had the flu - body aches, headaches, grouchy, etc. This went on for just over a week after I started GF, then gradually I felt 100 times better than I did before.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Give it time. It takes 4-6 weeks for all the gluten particles to leave your digestive system. Definitely take vitamin supplements and definitely WITH food!!!

I make my own protein shakes (way cheaper) and eat lots of fruits and vegetables with every meal. You can get everything you need without an expensive supplement!!!

Good luck :)
  • staceybrewer
    staceybrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did not feel better until I went completely grain free. Sometimes the other grains can bother you as much as those with "gluten".

FYI - ALL grains, including rice and corn, contain gluten. The FDA does not recognize their strains as they recognize those in wheat, rye, and barley. It does not mean that if you see "gluten free" on a label that you can trust that it is 100% gluten free. Corn is a big culprit for many. So, you might just need to explore further...
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Echoing others here, I know, but

- how long have you been gluten free?
    - what kind of symptoms are you having?
    - check the ingredients on your supplements
    - were you taking fish oil before you went gluten free? do you feel worse after you take it?
    - there may be something else that is also bothering you - corn and other grains, soy, and dairy are high on the list
  • tvl0308
    Options
    sorry everyone, I should of been more specific, when I mean sick like a cold, flue, strep etc. It seems like i have been sick more this year than I have ever been. I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years. hum.. the fish oil pills i am gonna have to watch that one cause i really haven't noticed anything. Also do you think that the vitamins that i am taking are actually digesting? Maybe i am still not getting the minerals that i need cause they are not working. It seems i feel fine when i eat dairy or corn. Has any one tried Shakeology? I am thinking on trying it. Maybe i can get my minerals in my system better that way besides what i eat.
    Just trying to figure out what is going on since I have been sick with a cold a lot.

thanks for your input :)
  • Ashley5201
    Ashley5201 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Shakeology might be a good choice, but I would look into Idealshape shakes. They taste great and are also gluten free. The cost effectiveness is better with Idealshape too.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My personal preference would be for juicing before Shakeology, but I have friends who swear by Shakeology. They are too full of allergens for me to even consider them. If you are juicing, you know what you are getting, and that it is balanced. I have found juicing to improve my health at times when my energy or immunity was low.

My son's experience was completely opposite to yours - when he went off gluten, dairy, and corn, he finally stopped getting strep every few weeks, and hasn't had it since. His immune system was practically nonexistent when his body was fighting gluten instead of viruses.

What helps me when I feel a cold or other illness coming on is grapefruit seed extract. Makes a huge difference to me. I also know to take it at any times that I might be in danger of catching an illness - after taking care of my snotty nosed little angels at church each Sunday, if anyone in the house or office is sick, if I am travelling, etc. I have had fewer colds/flus since going gluten free, but I have been gluten free for a number of years.
  • tvl0308
    Options
    pdworkman,
    thanks for the in put. Never heard of grapefruit seed extract. But it is worth a try also I mite try no corn or dairy. But try one at a time just to see.

Thanks