Upcoming Moto trip!

Options
the_journeyman
the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
Just sharing my excitement! Trip coming up in June. A local riders' forum has rented a cabin at the foot of the Cherohala Skyway near Lake Santeetlah for a WEEK!!! I'm going to spend a week riding & enjoying the mountains. Might even take a canoe and spend a day fishing on Santeetlah instead of riding. We usually play on Deals Gap most weekday mornings, and then take some pretty long range rides the rest of the day.

Is it June yet?

JM

Replies

• dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just sharing my excitement! Trip coming up in June. A local riders' forum has rented a cabin at the foot of the Cherohala Skyway near Lake Santeetlah for a WEEK!!! I'm going to spend a week riding & enjoying the mountains. Might even take a canoe and spend a day fishing on Santeetlah instead of riding. We usually play on Deals Gap most weekday mornings, and then take some pretty long range rides the rest of the day.

Is it June yet?

JM

Nice area for a weeks ride!
    Take 28 from the Deals Gap Store into Franklin one day, run the Skyway into Tellico another, and maybe even get to ride the Gap without crazy traffic. You might just wear out a set of tires, JM .
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    I plan on taking 28 from Deals Gap all the way to Walhalla SC one day, and come back up 107 US64 and ride 64 back to Franklin and 28 back to Deals Gap. You're right, I just might kill a set of tires!

JM
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the Cherohala Skyway. To me Deal's Gap is one of those things you do to say you've done it. It's just not all that enjoyable to me because I've encounted WAY too much "stupid" on that road. Now some of my friends have had bad luck on the Cherohala because EVERY time they've been on it the fog has been so thick you couldn't see right in front of you, but it was clear as a bell and sunny every time I've done it! This is what I'm hoping for you!!! Sounds like an amazing trip. I need to get back out that way. A group we hang out with has a couple get togethers a year and stay in Maggie Valley at the Applecover Inn. They usually do Cherohala and Deal's Gap, usually BRP and some local roads I can't remember right now. Good times!!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous! Don't know when I'll get back that way!

:sad:

I am trying to talk my husband into a local ride this weekend- we have some awesome roads that are day trips from here.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH!! YIPPPEE! WHAT FUN!
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I plan on taking 28 from Deals Gap all the way to Walhalla SC one day, and come back up 107 US64 and ride 64 back to Franklin and 28 back to Deals Gap. You're right, I just might kill a set of tires!

JM

Oh, man, good plan.
    I'm going to Walhalla in May for a bike thing. I'll go over the Skyway then basically do the same route. Gotta add Warwoman Rd, though.
    Have fun, be careful.
  • the_journeyman
    Options
    A group we hang out with has a couple get togethers a year and stay in Maggie Valley at the Applecover Inn. They usually do Cherohala and Deal's Gap, usually BRP and some local roads I can't remember right now. Good times!!!

That is awesome! I live about 3 miles from Maggie Valley! When you're headed that way again, I can certainly pass on some normally "overlooked" roads!
    Oh, man, good plan.
    I'm going to Walhalla in May for a bike thing. I'll go over the Skyway then basically do the same route. Gotta add Warwoman Rd, though.
    Have fun, be careful.

Warwoman is nice! It makes a good link from the Hiawassee area over to 28!

JM
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oohhh I will certainly take you up on that if I ever get out that way. If you ever get in my Ozarks neck of the woods I'd be more than happy to share some of our amazing roads too! :) Thanks! And how lucky are YOU to live a few miles from Maggie Valley!!!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Oohhh I will certainly take you up on that if I ever get out that way. If you ever get in my Ozarks neck of the woods I'd be more than happy to share some of our amazing roads too! :) Thanks! And how lucky are YOU to live a few miles from Maggie Valley!!!

+1