not ready to move on

Options
I just finished week 3 and Im still having a hard time running for even a full minute without either pain or my asthma stopping me. I dont feel ready to move on as I know I cannot complete a 5 min run at all. Im wondering if I should just repeat week 3 again next week until I feel a little more comfortable? Thoughts?

Replies

• mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt move on until your comfortable and ready to move on to the next level.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Definitely repeat a week! There's no shame in that. The point of this is to build up your stamina, but you can't do that if you burn out or have an asthma attack! Take your time, your body will thank you, as will your brain when you finally ARE ready to move on!
  • mjc65
    mjc65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had similar problems and everyone I spoke to said about breathing etc, but it was not so easy to control the breathing when I was running. The only way I got around it was to go cycling to build up my stamina and (surprisingly enough) because of this I don't have any problems now (and the cycling was a slow 10km).

I have been there bent over and out of breath and frustrated at my inability to run as long as I thought I should be able to, but I am now more able to run, so yes, repeat it but don't get discouraged.
  • jaydegreeneyes
    Options
    I have a bike as well, sounds like I should try it out. Thanks! =)
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I repeated week 2 before I moved on to 3, I think everyone should listen to their body
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    What eastern said, I'm repeating week 2, I haven't been able to get much further than 40 seconds during free runs, I can't see doing a minute, phew. If you're not ready, no shame. This is about training to get there, not about hurting yourself by pushing too far.
  • crystalallor
    Options
    I just finished week three, and I too, will be repeating it. I do not feel that I can move comfortable on to the next step.