You look so slim...Ouch...That hurts

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
Was showing my coworker a pic from last week's color run. She said, who is that? I told her that was me. She said, without thinking, "wow, you look so slim I didn't recognize you." She kept looking at me and the pic as if to reconcile the image with the reality. I thought it was taken at a great angle, but didn't realize I looked THAT different.

I'm beginning to see why so many guys on Match.com made negative comments about my size when we met in person.

I'm also beginning to see why so many people say "you're so photogenic"

Replies

• JanieJack
    Options
    For those who don't know... "you're so photogenic" is what some people say to people whose pictures look better than they do in real life.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I look terrible in pictures - a lot of the times, they don't even look like me, or at least the me I see in the mirror. I say you're so photogenic to people who really do take good pictures that look like their 3-dimensional selves. My face doesn't flatted into 2-D in a good way. :-P I so WISH I was photogenic!!!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I am not photogenic at all. It sucks!
  • LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Same here.... not photogenic at all. I actually get people saying "wow" that's not a good photo of you.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Yeah not photogentic at all for me. Camera adds about 20lbs to me. People I know who are bigger than me look smaller than me in pictures. I don't think "You're so photogentic" is an insult at all. I probably would have taken the double takes the same way as you though.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    lol Im weird..some pictures I look amazing others not so much...I swear my camera has an evil genie in it
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I don't think "You're so photogentic" is an insult at all.

Google it. I used to take it as a compliment, until I saw it on a show (Mean girls? I can't remember) where it was an underhanded way of saying less-than-good-looking people take good pictures. Then I went to look it up (since I get that a lot). Some people mean it genuinely. Many do not.

I feel like BB is in the catagory of taking bad pictures. He looks way better than his pics.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'm photogenic too. I dont take it as an insult cos I think I'm gorgeous!!!

JJ - stop trashing yourself hun!!! :huh:

ETA:

God only knows there are plenty of people in the world ready to do that for you!! :flowerforyou:

Looking slim and taking a good picture is not even relevant in the scheme of things. Who cares?? Who REALLY cares?? Some shallow dude with a bone fetish??? :laugh:
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    I have to agree with Anna, who gives a F what other people think!! Maybe you were just looking to spark convo but honestly, if you're happy with the results you're getting and how you look F those people.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    Most photos that I pose for, I look great... but the ones caught off guard are the ones that look so terrible. I do think that you are thinking to deep into this- that maybe watching that movie put that bug in your ear... but I have told many beautiful people how photogenic they were.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to see why so many guys on Match.com made negative comments about my size when we met in person.

Janie - what do you mean by this? What kind of comments? You are beautiful to me in your pics!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am not photogenic at all and I don't take random pics. 90% of my pics are staged.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I have to agree with Anna, who gives a -- what other people think!! Maybe you were just looking to spark convo but honestly, if you're happy with the results you're getting and how you look --- those people.

I'm not the only one in this forum who has met someone via online dating and been irritated that this person who previously thought I was hot is not attracted in person. My point was to throw out another possible reason why. While I appreciate the encouragement, I don't think it's fair to people to pooh-pooh stuff like this.

Had my coworker and I had this convo two years ago, I probably would have felt more empowered in these situations realizing that, yes, even when I tried to be honest about my looks by posting plenty of full-body pics that guys I meet online are likely to think I look thinner in the pics than in real life. This is a better position to come from than wondering what's wrong with me when the guy's not attracted in person though he was calling me beautiful/hot/gorgeous from my online profile.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    This discussion reminds me of MM’s “I confess…” post that this girl thinks all guys like her. Couple years ago I thought I was “THE STUFF” and all guys found me attractive. Now I’m realizing this is not so. Nothing wrong with that (people like who they like)… the trick is to not let it affect your psyche. And for me, acknowledging that there’s a discrepancy from how I look online and how I appear in person is key to not letting it affect my psyche.

For example, my profile pic I think look amazing. You have no idea my size until you see the other photos where I’m next to some girls. I am like a hulk next to them. It is admittedly tough for me to acknowledge that people care more about size than figure and fitness, but that’s life and we can’t ignore it. We must deal with it.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Janie - what do you mean by this? What kind of comments? You are beautiful to me in your pics!

Thanks!

The #1 comment I got when I met guys online was something along the lines of, "Wow, it's nice to finally meet a normal woman." Apparently a lot of women online that these guys were meeting are crazy/psycho, and I think that’s why I had so many 2nd date requests even when it was obvious we weren’t compatible.

The #2 comment I got was something along the lines of, “Wow, I thought you’d be smaller.” This scarred me the first time I got on Match, so the second time around I made sure to post more pics of me with others. I still got that comment a lot, but I tried to laugh it off with something like “yeah, I’m built like a linebacker…but the silver lining is my great hourglass figure.” One guy, who was over 300lbs made such a comment and I was like “you need someone built like me to handle all THAT weight.”

And Anna, you’re right. I really need to stop dogging myself out. It’s just hard to be the older fatter woman around all these young fit Marines. I’m used to being cute. Strangely enough, I appear to have won the respect of the men with my races, CrossFit, and stellar job performance, but the women never fail to take the opportunity to dog me out. I can’t wait til I’m back home around mostly retirees who are twice my size and couldn’t care less about criticizing someone.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    All my friends tell my I look like George Clooney in person, but my pics make me look like a complete tosser.

Ha, just joking. At least about Clooney.

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    This discussion reminds me of MM’s “I confess…” post that this girl thinks all guys like her. Couple years ago I thought I was “THE STUFF” and all guys found me attractive. Now I’m realizing this is not so. Nothing wrong with that (people like who they like)… the trick is to not let it affect your psyche. And for me, acknowledging that there’s a discrepancy from how I look online and how I appear in person is key to not letting it affect my psyche.

For example, my profile pic I think look amazing. You have no idea my size until you see the other photos where I’m next to some girls. I am like a hulk next to them. It is admittedly tough for me to acknowledge that people care more about size than figure and fitness, but that’s life and we can’t ignore it. We must deal with it.

I've had a guy say to me I look nothing like my pics. And I've had guys say to me that I look better in person.

The point is that people's perceptions are way different. We literally all SEE differently!! And perceive things in our brains, differently!!

That's why it's irrelevant to let something like that change your perception of yourself. It's really a non issue what 'anybody' thinks. The only person that needs to love you, is you!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I dunno. Honestly my view of what I look like varies so much. Sometimes I think I'm more thin than I am, sometimes I think I'm more big than I am, sometimes I think my nose is weird, sometimes I think my cheekbones are great and then even my pictures are fairly inconsistent... So I just go with what I feel at the moment, and when I feel down I remind myself about the things I am sure about myself that I like. Even things like my laugh lines, or I've started noticing crows feet - that's a symptom of me being happy, laughing and smiling a lot. I'm not gonna dog on myself for stuff like that. If I'm feeling particularly fat one day I just remind myself that I've doing something about it and go for a run.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I've been on dates before with women who looked completely different to their pictures on the site before (my space angles should've known better) and I would rather they were more honest beforehand as for me it pretty much ruins my opinion of you even before the date if you're already lying, that being said I don't expect a picture of you after an all night binge in the morning :laugh: