Slow and Steady Wins The Race

I came across this video just now and found it very valuable for me in terms of my mindset and putting this weight lifting journey into perspective so I thought some of you may find value in it as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yosFViNEy6g

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Thanks for posting. This really struck a chord with me.

I've been lifting regularly for about 14 months and there are times when I think results should be coming much faster. It's good to hear from someone with Ross Enamait's knowledge and experience that it all simply takes time. I've heard Tom Venuto say similar things. Seems like the voices of common sense often are drown out by the "get ripped quick" people, though. Shame.

I started SL to build pure strength--especially on squats. Before starting the program, my DL was 175 3x8. Deloading so I could do the program correctly was tough for me. But...patience. If I repeat it often, perhaps it will sink in.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Thank you! I've been working really hard to readjusting my attitude about how 'fast' things should happen - and it's pretty refreshing to hear somebody say yes, hard work takes time.
  • I look at it as a journey. Not a destination.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Yes, I think that many of us are bombarded by so many false promises of quick results, as Ross Enamait talks about. It really isn't the reality, especially if you are lifting. If you are cutting calories and doing cardio like crazy you can usually see some pretty quick results but heavy lifting is a whole other beast.....but the results are so much better....both mentally and physically! It just really takes a complete change in mindset and THAT is the most difficult part!

I'm glad you like the link :happy:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I really enjoyed that. The man speaks truth.
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Thank-you so so much for this...i needed this...
  • Thanks for posting :) I've been frustrated with lack of progress lately... like Amazing I do try to view it as a ''journey'' but sometimes it just gets hard to think of it that way when the scale/measurements/weights aren't changing like I want.

Slow and Steady it is!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Yes, I find myself getting frustrated probably more often than I should....even though every time I get a glimpse of my *kitten* from the side I think "dang, that bish is getting perky!" :laugh: or the fact that I'm starting to think of myself as "the fat girl" much less frequently than ever before......

BUT

Still not at goal! I would still like to get to 25% BF.....not even an unreasonable goal!

BUT

I can't go back to cardio bunny, JM workouts (don't get me wrong, I'm a big JM fan!), 1200 cal/day living.....because it's not living!

SO

I have to keep on keeping on because I know that what I'm doing is effing awesome and I am pretty BAMF for it :bigsmile: