Help please.

Options
CharisSunny
CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
I do not have much in me to post a long explanation and I am fearing I will hear all Ive heard before but I have a request.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to help with panic attacks with flashbacks? I am wanting to be done wit everything but I have been at deaths door more than once before. I am trying really hard this time to stay.

I am already on an antidepressant. I have tried.

Please, anything you can suggest so I can try to cope and stay.

Replies

• petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

medication-wise I use klonopin for my panic attacks. I have for a few years now.
    non medicine-wise , for anxiety and panic, try looking into bio-feedback techniques. Or 'self-talk'

at first it feels dumb and sometimes even after years it feels weird but basically you tell youself the opposite of what you are thinking.

example: 'I feel like the world is against me. my boss hates me and is planning right now on how to fire me'
    "calm down R. It's not that bad. you only made one mistake." etc etc.

I often have to remind myself that I'm NOT fat, ugly and a failure. I think that a lot.

As for Flashbacks, well I have some experience with those. Often times I'll hear ot feel or even smell something that brings me back to a traumatic experience.
    I have to tell myself that the experience is in the past, it is over, it cannot hurt me anymore or where I am right now.

it's been a few years since the things that traumatized me have happened so it has gotten better but they still come. Randomly and without warning.

I used to not be able to let my cat clean herself on my bed because I'd have flashbacks and freak out instantly panic.

my anti-depressant helps me to not obsess, but really, the bio-feedback helps in the long run.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I take a generic xanax and a beta blocker (which keeps my heart from racing.) But my best advice is to find a good therapist that can help you with coping skills. I am looking for one myself. I hate panic attacks, so scary. Sorry you are going through this. :/ Oh, one other thing, that sometimes helps make the panic attacks go away is splashing really cold water in my face over and over. *sounds stupid, but it's worked for me several times.