April 17 - 24th: Spicy Black Bean Burgers

Options
J3nnyV
J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
Alright you awesome cooking hotties....how about we start with Gina's Top 25 of 2012 (in reverse order)....saving number 1 for last.

Here is the recipe for #25 Black Bean Burgers with Chilpotle Mayo: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle.html

Apparently, she says it is a bit too spicy for her kids, so you may need to adapt if you're feeding kidlets or if you're wimpy like me.

I will check the food database, and build the recipe if need be, so it will be easy for us to log.

Cook On!

Replies

• BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Stoked!
  • JustAGirl0916
    JustAGirl0916 Posts: 1,020
    Options
    Should be quite interesting lol!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Good pick! I'm looking forward to these because I have half a can of chilies in adobe sauce in the fridge and I was wondering what the heck I was going to do with it.
  • J3nnyV
    Options
    Good pick! I'm looking forward to these because I have half a can of chilies in adobe sauce in the fridge and I was wondering what the heck I was going to do with it.

Great! Maybe I'll make a double recipe of the mayo so I don't end up with the same prob after this recipe. I'm sure that kind of thing would taste yum on turkey sandwiches!
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Oh! I made these about a month ago. I wasn't too thrilled with the texture of the patties. The boyfriend loved them though!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,135 Member
    Options
    Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayonnaise
    adapted from All Recipes
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1 burger w/ mayo bun + avocado • Old Points: 8 pts • Points+: 9 pts
    Calories: 362.6 • Fat: 14.0 g • Protein: 18.1 g • Carb: 50 g • Fiber: 15.1 g • Sugar: 7.1 g
    Sodium: 786.4 mg (without salt)
    Patty alone, no bun, no avocado, no mayo: 4 pts plus

Ingredients:

For the Spicy Chipotle Mayo:
    3 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise (Hellman's)
    1 tbsp canned chipotle in adobo sauce

For the Black Bean Burgers:

16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    1/2 cup chopped scallions
    3 tbsp chopped cilantro
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 jumbo egg
    1 tbsp cumin
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp hot sauce
    1/2 cup quick oats (use gf oats for gluten free)
    4 whole wheat 100 calorie buns (Martin's)*

I tried these a few months ago and loved them! :drinker: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love skinnytaste.com and all the recipes Gina has. Very few I have made that I didn't like. I have been meaning to make these for a while now since I don't eat meat. Looking forward to it and will let you know how it turns out.
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    Cant wait to hit the store and get my goodies to make these!!!
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Great group! I've never heard of skinnytaste but I'm really looking forward to giving the recipes a try.
  • luckiestmommyever
    luckiestmommyever Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yummy! So excited to try these out. I've never made my own black bean burgers, but have wanted to SO badly, mostly b/c the ones you can buy are SO high in sodium :) Thanks for the recipe :)
  • J3nnyV
    Options
    My burgers are made and are currently in the freezer waiting to be cooked. A few observations so far:

1. I could only find a 19 oz ban of beans (instead of 16 oz), so I used the whole thing.
    2. I had to wear my baby in a carrier while cooking today, so I couldn't mash the beans. Instead, I put about 3/4 of them in the food processor and left the others whole (for visual appeal).
    3. I was confused by the instructions about drying the beans. She says extra water won't make them stick. I assume she means stick together? Stick to what? The pan? The grill? I dunno, but I dried the beans thoroughly anyway.
    4. Chopping the veggies, onions, cilantro, etc seemed silly when they are all just going to end up in the food processor, so I did a rough, very rough, chop and then let my cuisinart do the rest.
    5. My mixture was really wet, so I added the extra tablespoon of oats then spooned them onto wax paper on a cookie sheet for the freezer. Not sure if this was bc I didn't mash my beans, but it sure wasn't due to not drying the beans (caused I dried the heck outta them). So, I may end up with blobbier patties. It made 4 big blobs. I flattened the blobs so they are fairly uniform in thickness.

But let me say, the mixture tastes awesome so I'm looking forward to the cooked patty!
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    I could only find 19oz cans, too! Making them tomorrow and looking forward to them!
  • J3nnyV
    Options
    Update: the blob patties froze perfectly and easily peeled off the wax paper. Now they are hanging out in a stack in the freezer. Ready for cooking tomorrow
  • J3nnyV
    Options
    Yum! We ate the burgers today for lunch. I cooked them in a pan on the stove bc I started to worry they'd just dissolve through the rack if we put them on the grill based on how loose they were before they were frozen. They came out beautifully in the pan .... A nice "crust" on the outside and a delicious, dense inside.

The first thing my husband said was, "is there ground beef in these?", even though he knew they were black bean burgers. They had a great consistency and the whole beans here and there were a nice touch. I definitely don't think I compromised the integrity of the patty by whizzing the beans in the food processor instead of mashing them by hand, and it sure was a lot easier!

The Chilpotle mayo was hot. My husband loved it, I kinda thought it overpowered everything, especially the avocado. Next time, I will dial back on the Chilpotle mayo (on my serving) and leave the avocado out. I could hardly taste the avocado, so it seemed like a bit of a waste of a nice avocado. I think I would have been just as happy with some crisp lettuce to add a different texture. I served it with some grape tomatoes - nice to take the heat down a notch.

One last comment about the recipe instructions - the recipe calls for canned Chilpotle. Well, the can I bought contained whole peppers. This clearly wasn't going to blend well with the mayo, so I ended up whizzing the peppers in the mini food processor first. Not sure what I will do with the rest of the whizzed peppers, but I chucked them in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. It would have made better sense to buy Chilpotle paste or something bc the whole peppers required an extra step.

So I will definitely make these again and will probably make a double batch next time. I figure there's just as much clean up for 4 patties as there is for 8. They won't replace our favourite homemade beef burgers, but I'm happy I found something to expand our repertoire, especially with BBQ season right around the corner.

Bon Appetite!
  • Pepper2185
    Options
    Loved these!

I made them exactly as directed - minus the cilantro because I don't like it. The burgers looked exactly like the pictures on the Skinnytaste site, I like when recipes actually end up looking like the pictures :smile:

One burger filled me up! I loved the avocado. The mayo was spicy! I also whizzed the chipotle peppers in the food processor. I made extra mayo because we had the burgers with sweet potato fries and I knew my husband would use it for dipping.

I'll make these again, probably in a double batch so I can freeze them.
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    K babes, in the freezer waiting to be cooked for tomorrows dinner! So excited!
  • J3nnyV
    Options
    Loved these!

I made them exactly as directed - minus the cilantro because I don't like it. The burgers looked exactly like the pictures on the Skinnytaste site, I like when recipes actually end up looking like the pictures :smile:

One burger filled me up! I loved the avocado. The mayo was spicy! I also whizzed the chipotle peppers in the food processor. I made extra mayo because we had the burgers with sweet potato fries and I knew my husband would use it for dipping.

I'll make these again, probably in a double batch so I can freeze them.

I was soooooo undecided about adding the cilantro bc my husband thinks it tastes like dirty feet smell. Right up until the last second I was still humming and hawing, but I ended up adding it and he didn't even notice! LOL. Next time, I will leave it out bc now I have the rest of the cilantro just sitting there in my fridge drawer.
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I made them yesterday and loved it! Not too difficult to make either. I doubled the recipe so know I can have "burgers" with my husband on burger night. We grilled the black bean patty and it tasted delicious!
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was soooooo undecided about adding the cilantro bc my husband thinks it tastes like dirty feet smell. Right up until the last second I was still humming and hawing, but I ended up adding it and he didn't even notice! LOL. Next time, I will leave it out bc now I have the rest of the cilantro just sitting there in my fridge drawer.

That used to happen to me and I would just end up throwing it away. But then I started freezing it and that's been working great. You can chop it up first if you want, and then just put it in a freezer bag and throw it in the freezer, and it'll be there the next time you want it.
  • J3nnyV
    Options

That used to happen to me and I would just end up throwing it away. But then I started freezing it and that's been working great. You can chop it up first if you want, and then just put it in a freezer bag and throw it in the freezer, and it'll be there the next time you want it.

GREAT tip! I didn't even think you could do that! Thanks!