Did You Read The Fast Diet book?

Options
Aurora1525
Aurora1525 Posts: 62 Member
I read The Fast Diet: The Simple Secret of Intermittent Fasting: Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer by Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer. In fact, I read it in 2 days. It's a really fast read (irony!). It's a pretty interesting book, mainly focusing on the scientific basis for why intermittent fasting is good for your body. There are also some good points made about what to eat on your fast days so that you feel full and don't sabotage the results you're looking for (it's all about glycemic index and glycemic load).

I did not have any qualms with the scientific explanations. Those were fine. But I did have issues with Mosley and Spencer's descriptions of what their fast days felt like. Now given, I've only gone through 2 fast days (and the first one was a wreck because I didn't know what foods I should avoid on fast days at the time), but even when I did the fast day right, I could not fully concentrate on critical tasks well. My stomach definitely rumbled all day even though I drank plenty of water. I was still well aware that my body wanted food. Perhaps these feelings diminish over time, but for right now, I'd have to disagree with their description of fasting as a "happy, pleasant experience."

For those who read the book, did you agree with most of what was said?

Replies

• kamrabg
    kamrabg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think that the author had gone through a few other fasts that were longer in duration before starting the 5:2 approach. I also just started the program and will hold my judgement on how I feel until my body has had a chance to get used to this way of living. While my fast days so far have been tolerable, I have noticed that my non-fast days are really good. I was experiencing a ravenous appetite from time to time and now that has gone away. I am hoping that I can stick with this program as I feel it will be very helpful to my overall health. Good luck to you and let me know how you feel in a month or so..... I bet you will adjust well and enjoy your fast days.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I certainly feel they are easier the more you do. The first morning I remember feeling quite sick and worrying I may feel faint. But these days I find them pretty easy. I need to get back to it next week though as had 2 weeks off due running the marathon.
    Good luck to you :flowerforyou: